15 replies to this topic

#1 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Can anyone explain what I do to flip a playing video & also is it possible to show mirror view?

Thanks

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

You need to insert a post-processor such as ffdshow into the playback chain, as Zoom itself does not support rotation or flipping.

There have been a few requests previously for Zoom to support such functions natively, but bLight believes the player should not be the place for these.

Nev won't be adding such a function to lav, so bLight has asked madshi to add support for rotation to madvr. The response from madshi was that he could add it, but that it was low priority - so for the moment, you need a post-processor.

I'm typing this from my phone at the moment and so can't give a detailed guide on how to add ffdshow and then make use of it, but if you need one, I can do one when I get back on my desktop pc.

ehat

#3 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Thanks ehathgepiurhe, I have FFDshow in use so as to use ' sharpen ' something you helped me with a year or so ago. I would appreciate if you could talk me through what I need to do to enable flipping.

Thankyou.  

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have FFDshow in use so as to use ' sharpen ' something you helped me with a year or so ago

Great - getting Zoom to use ffdshow was going to be 90% of the work, so we can skip that :)

Ok, I am assuming you don't want every single video you play to be flipped (i.e. you want to enable it on a case by case basis), so do the following. There are really two stages to this. The first is an initial setup stage (to enable the ffdshow tray icon, and to enable flipping and/or mirroring) which only has to be done once. The second is when you then want to enable either option while a video is playing - which is done on an 'as required' basis.

Stage 1 - Initial Setup:

• Open a video file in Zoom (one you want to flip will be the best choice).
  • If the ffdshow Video Decoder tray icon does appear, right click it, select 'ffdshow Video Decoder' from the pop-up menu (which opens the 'ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration' dialog) and then skip to step #5.
  • If the ffdshow Video Decoder tray icon does not appear, you need to enable it in ffdshow's options. Right click Zoom, select Filter Properties and then click the 'ffdshow Video Decoder' entry to open the 'ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration' dialog.
  • In the dialog box that pops up (it may appear behind the Zoom window under some circumstances, if so simply click the taskbar icon to bring it to the front), scroll up the top to 'Tray, Dialog & Paths' and select it. In the 'Tray Icons' field, select 'Modern' (you can try Classic as well if you prefer the look, but Modern has the advantage that the video and audio icons are different colours so you can tell them apart more easily than you can do with Classic):
    http://i.imgur.com/4Oy6biP.png
  • Scroll down the list to the 'Offset and Flip' option and select it. Click 'Offset and Flip' at the top of the dialog to enable it, and also click the 'Flip' entry (and/or 'Mirror' as well if desired) to do the same thing. It should then look like this (I have enabled Flip only):
    http://i.imgur.com/qvmLh4u.png
  • Lastly, click 'Ok' to close the ffdshow window.

You will discover that:
a. You should now have a new tray icon, assuming you haven't set Windows to hide all tray icons:
http://i.imgur.com/xTCJPF7.png (my Taskbar is dark purple, so the icon is a little hard to see in this shot but it should give you the idea)
b. The video you were playing is suddenly flipped.

Stage 2- Enabling Flipping on 'as required' Basis:

• Once the setup stage is complete, enabling or disabling flipping is simple. While a video is playing, right click the ffdshow Video Decoder tray icon and select 'Offset and Flip' to enable it (to put a tick beside it). That's all you have to do:
    http://i.imgur.com/R0kB8Lf.png
  • If you want to disable it again, simply right click the ffdshow Video Decoder tray icon, and select 'Offset and Flip' again to disable it (remove the tick).

A few minor things to note:

• When you enable 'Offset and Flip' from the tray icon menu, it will use the settings you set in step #5 of the initial setup. That is, if you only enabled flip in step #5, when you enable the option from the tray menu, only flip will be active. If however you enabled both flip and mirror, then when you enable the option from the tray menu, both flip and mirror will be enabled. Obviously, if you only enabled mirror, mirror will be the only thing performed when you enable the option from the tray menu. You can change the ffdshow options at any time, so if you want flip for most videos and mirror for a relative few, then just enable flip to begin with, and then when you want mirror, go in and disable flip and enable mirror. You can also open the ffdshow dialog box from the tray icon once you enable the icon (it's the ffdshow Video Decoder option right at the top of the menu) - so you don't need to keep right clicking Zoom and using the Filter Properties menu.
  • Once you get comfortable with this, you can actually use hotkeys to enable/disable this. It is quicker, and gives you more flexibility, which you will see by my explanation in the next paragraph. If you go back into ffdshow's dialog box, you will see a 'Keys & Remote' section at the top of the list. If you enable that option (by clicking 'Keyboard Control' to enable it), you can use a hotkey (default Ctrl+Alt+F), to enable the flipping option. The hotkey is a combination of 'Activation Key 1' (Ctrl), 'Activation Key 2' (Alt) and the 'Flip' hotkey (F) - you can change those hotkeys if you want.
    http://i.imgur.com/XCywHc3.png
  • Using the hotkey as opposed to the tray icon menu will only flip the video, it seems to ignore the settings you have in 'Offset and Flip' - and my testing shows that you don't even need to enable 'Flip' in 'Offset and Flip' before using this hotkey as it always performs a flip and nothing else. There doesn't seem to be a separate option for mirroring unfortunately. However, what you could do in that case would be to set 'Mirror' only in step #5 of the initial setup, and then when you want mirror, use the context menu, and when you want flip, use the hotkey. What if you want both active at the same time? I did quickly check to see what would happen if I hit the hotkey for flip while the context menu for mirror was active - but I can't honestly tell if the flip and mirror was active at the same time, or if only flip was active. Watching the video upside down made my head spin and I couldn't tell what was going on :( If you have a video that you can check this on, it would be interesting to see what the answer is. I think it may in fact flip and mirror at the same time, but I just can't be sure.

Regards,

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 05 July 2013 - 12:45 PM.
Renumbered steps to fix a minor error in original.

#5 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thanks ehat.............as ever your precise & clear instructions are perfect.

Sincerely grateful.

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

You're welcome :) Reading it again, I realised that in step #4, I assumed you were already inside the ffdshow dialog - which you wouldn't be if you already had the ffdshow icon enabled. I shall fix it just in case anyone else uses the post in the future.

ehat

Edit: Fixed. Step #4 is now step #5 and the whole thing is clearer I think.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 05 July 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#7 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thanks again ehat.

Just while I have your attention there are a couple of other features that my other player ( Gom ) has that I would like to see in zoomplayer.........

1 The abilty to select a section of the video, by clicking ' ( ' to start then ' ) ' to end & then that portion just replays itself.

2 By using the arrow keys I can center on a part of the video then zoom in so that only that portion is seen. Using the arrow keys in zoomplayer just seems to reduce the size?

Can zoomplayer perform these functions?

Thanks

#8 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Heh - ended up reformatting the whole post as well, that was a fun 15 minutes working around the stupidities of playing with the forum formatting codes :)

1 The abilty to select a section of the video, by clicking ' ( ' to start then ' ) ' to end & then that portion just replays itself.

I must admit, I had to actually ask bLight about this one, as I didn't know myself. The answer is yes, it's called AB Repeat. generalleoff describes it as well as what I could:
http://forum.inmatri...6175#entry26297

Note that the hotkey can probably be re-mapped to ' if you wanted.

2 By using the arrow keys I can center on a part of the video then zoom in so that only that portion is seen. Using the arrow keys in zoomplayer just seems to reduce the size?

Does + / - do what you want? That's the + / - on the numeric keypad, not on the main part of the keyboard. Zoom has a couple of different zooming modes which behave slightly differently to each other, so if that one doesn't do what you want, let us know (if they do, those keys - like most of the others - can be remapped, so you could put the function on the arrow keys). You might also let do a quick screenshot of Advanced Options-->Interface-->Display, as there are a couple of options in there that affect zooming.

ehat

Edit: Interesting. Doing a bit of forum searching, I learned you can use the mouse to drag the video part of the Zoom window after zooming in:

http://forum.inmatri...3594#entry51354

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 05 July 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#9 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for that...all very,very useful & interesting.

However, returning to my original query, flipping , I took your advice & enabled hotkeys in FFD ( ctr alt f ) worked fine the first time but now whenever I open a video in zoomplayer after the Zoomplayer logo the screen goes blank. Video is playing but not visible..........then if I click ctr alt f it appears. This hotkey continues to function ok but when I start a new video again a blank screen ???

Any thoughts.

#10 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yes, looks like a bug in ffdshow - MPC-HC behaves the same way when tested with the same thing. I just checked it with the latest stable version 1.3.4500 and the last SVN version rev4515 - Install Center is a little bit behind in ffdshow versions for various reasons - and it is still present, so it hasn't been fixed in a later version unfortunately. What's odd about it is that if you enable flipping by the 'offset and flip' option, and start Zoom up, even though the video will be flipped, it plays fine. Enable flipping by the hotkey and start Zoom up, and it green screens (madVR) or black screens (EVR). But then if you un-flip it with the hotkey, suddenly you see video (as you have pointed out). I did some quick testing, and 'offset and flip' seems to set the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\ffdshow\default\transfFlip to '1' (enabled - it sets the 'isOffset key as well)), whereas hotkey flip seems to set HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GNU\ffdshow\default\flip to '1'.

I would have thought that they should both set exactly the same key, so I am a bit puzzled by this. And it seems that the hotkey registry key 'flip' causes the video signal to be messed up, whereas the offset and flip registry key 'transfFlip' does not. Not sure what to do about this - ffdshow is no longer being developed, so though there is a thread on Doom9 it could be reported in, there is no one to fix it...I did try using LAV as the video decoder and just adding ffdshow into the chain as a post-processor, but I still get the same effect. Anyone have any ideas? Known fix, maybe another post-processor that could be used instead?

ehat

#11 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Ok understand that but problem is I now cant get a picture on zoomplayer at all, just a blank screen. Have gone back into FFD & cleared the things I did to try & get back to where I was but it still wont show the video......now Im in a real mess??

#12 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hm, that's odd. Ok, if you have an idea of what options you had enabled in ffdshow (you mentioned above that you were using the sharpen option), than try this - it resets ffdshow to the default configuration (with those options disabled, so you will just need to enable them again):

1. Close Zoom, open Install Center.

2. Click ffdshow to select it.

3. Click the 'Configure Component' button on the right hand side of the Install Center window. If it prompts you to download the configuration files from the internet, let it do so.

4. 'FFDShow Default' should be displayed in the 'Select Configurations' dropdown. Click 'Apply'.

Once that is done, exit out of Install Center, then open Zoom and check if the video is playing. If not, we will have to try something else.

Regards,

ehat

#13 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Note: If you're trying to play video upside down because of a usage scenario (like you're playing full-screen to a wall-mounted monitor that's upside down for viewing angle reasons) you could check your graphics card settings. Intel integrated video on many business desktops has a keyboard shortcut that will do screen rotation and flipping, and it would be at the graphics card level so software used in video playback should be of no consequence.

#14 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hm, that's odd. Ok, if you have an idea of what options you had enabled in ffdshow (you mentioned above that you were using the sharpen option), than try this - it resets ffdshow to the default configuration (with those options disabled, so you will just need to enable them again):

1. Close Zoom, open Install Center.

2. Click ffdshow to select it.

3. Click the 'Configure Component' button on the right hand side of the Install Center window. If it prompts you to download the configuration files from the internet, let it do so.

4. 'FFDShow Default' should be displayed in the 'Select Configurations' dropdown. Click 'Apply'.

Once that is done, exit out of Install Center, then open Zoom and check if the video is playing. If not, we will have to try something else.

Regards,

ehat

Sorry to be such a dummy but where do I find ' install center ' ?

#15 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

Install Center is in the Start Menu. Navigate to All Programs-->Zoom Player, and you should see an 'Install Center' entry. In Windows 7, you should also be able to type "Install Center" (without quotes) into the search box on the Start Menu to bring it up.

ehat

#16 andylolly

andylolly

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Thanks ehat, all sorted now...................your help much appreciated as ever.