27 replies to this topic

#1 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

Edit: Testing successfully completed, fix now incorporated in pre-final builds: http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=13711

Hi everyone,

We're looking for madVR users in particular to test a new release (it is a bonus if you use FSE mode in madVR). This is (hopefully) a bugfix for 8.50 RC1. No new features, simply one single change: the media-close code has been modified so that it exits madVR's FSE mode before terminating.

What we are looking for is twofold:

1. There are no regressions with this change; and

2. It fixes a couple of madVR related issues.
a. http://forum.inmatri...t=60#entry51853 and
b. Possibly also this one here: http://forum.inmatri...t=80#entry51858 (the Zoom freezing part of that post)

@nx6 - We especially want you to check it, as both you and I are the only people to have actually reported [a] so far. At least for me, it fixes the issue. We are also the only two people to have reported [b] as well. The hanging in Zoom may in fact have two different causes on our respective systems, but at least for me, the new build seems to have fixed the hanging I was suffering from. My hanging was 100% reproducible, so the fix was easy to check. Your hanging was not according to your post, so I appreciate it is a bit harder for you to know if it is fixed for you as well. However, if you could try and test it as much as you can, that would be appreciated.

Link to the new build:
(See Edit at top of post)

As I say above, madVR users especially are welcome, but anyone and everyone who runs Zoom MAX is free to download and test. Obviously if you are not a madVR user, the single thing you can check for is regressions. There shouldn't be any - but the dev's want some testing before the fix is rolled into the public releases.

Thanks to bLight for the clever idea about how to fix the crashing issue (the code change was made in response to this issue rather than the windowed mode issue), which just so happened to subsequently fix the windowed mode issue as well! Two of my bug reports (#304 for crashing, #314 for windowed mode) fixed with a single code change - I am quite happy at the moment :)

Regards,

ehat

Edit: For clarity, this fix is not included in the newly released RC1 (the one that bLight announced). It's an additional fix that is proposed to be merged into the public release, as long as it doesn't break anything. Making sure that it doesn't break anything is what we need tested.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 16 October 2012 - 01:48 PM.
Added note

#2 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

I'll try it but keep in mind I can't reproduce this reliably and I don't have time to watch a lot of videos lately I don't know if I'll be able to confirm it fixed or not.

#3 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

Okay. I'm still seeing it but I've figured out how to reproduce it while going through a folder of music videos.

If I'm in windowed mode and change to full screen, the NEXT video I load will cause ZP to drop out of full screen mode. It's not doing the background image but staying black now.

Subsequent file loads stay full screen. It's only the first video change after going full screen that does it.

Edit: I noticed the ZP window size was determined by the resolution of the outgoing video clip, but that's because I have the interface set to resize to match the content size. Turning that option cause the Zoom window size to be the same regardless of the size of the clips we're changing to/from.

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

If I'm in windowed mode and change to full screen, the NEXT video I load will cause ZP to drop out of full screen mode.

This is definitely with the new build?

It's not doing the background image but staying black now.

Yep, bLight fixed that in RC1 - probably to stop me complaining about Zoom showing the background image between media changes ;)

Subsequent file loads stay full screen. It's only the first video change after going full screen that does it.

Yep, it is only the first video after fullscreening - but that is still fixed here on my system. Zoom does not drop out of fullscreen mode for me any longer. Ok, let's try and pin this down:
1. Can you provide an export of your Zoom settings please? Some Zoom setting may be the reason why you are still seeing the behaviour with Zoom dropping out of fullscreen mode and I'm not.
2. If you could provide your madVR settings.bin file as well, that would be appreciated.
3. Lastly, could you detail the reproduction steps exactly please? It may be that I am missing something in how I am trying to produce it.

Edit: I noticed the ZP window size was determined by the resolution of the outgoing video clip, but that's because I have the interface set to resize to match the content size. Turning that option cause the Zoom window size to be the same regardless of the size of the clips we're changing to/from.

Correct. I have both the auto-size options in Interface-->Position and Size enabled (the first settings I change on a new installation), because the Zoom window size being different to the video clip size annoys the living daylights out of me.

ehat

#5 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

The best thing would be if you can do a desktop video showing me exactly what you're seeing.

#6 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

This is definitely with the new build?

According to my title bar it is.

Posted Image

1. Can you provide an export of your Zoom settings please? Some Zoom setting may be the reason why you are still seeing the behaviour with Zoom dropping out of fullscreen mode and I'm not.
2. If you could provide your madVR settings.bin file as well, that would be appreciated.

(attached to this post)

3. Lastly, could you detail the reproduction steps exactly please? It may be that I am missing something in how I am trying to produce it.

Play a video in windowed mode (doesn't matter if you have Zoom set to launch in full screen mode or windowed mode initially on launch).
Change to full screen mode.
Try changing to next or previous video.
(ZP drops out of fullscreen briefly and then back into it before next video starts)

You have to play a clip in windowed mode for this to happen. If you launch Zoom and change to full screen before playing the first clip it doesn't do it.

The best thing would be if you can do a desktop video showing me exactly what you're seeing.

It's funny, I was just thinking that last night.
It was too late to get out the camera, though. Will work on that now.
It will be a digital camera video of my screen, not a desktop recording, though.

Attached Files

#7 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

Okay, here we are.

A little over two minutes of my screen while going back and forth between videos, jumping in and out of full screen mode often.

I have ZP display the file name on the OSD when opening files and the OSD size is much larger in full screen mode than windowed mode (for readability when I'm sitting across the room) so it is very obvious where I change video files.

#8 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Okay, so I just realized I did this wrong. I didn't install the original ZP v8.5 RC per the instructions back here. I replaced my existing Zoom Player.exe with the new FSE fix version, and I while I'm not sure what version I had before, even if it was the original 8.5 release candidate I didn't delete everything and reinstall all components. So I need to do that and rerun the test again.

Unfortunately I saw that thread right after I started a long video transcoding job of two movies and some of those same software components are being made use of right now, so I'll be waiting until the job finishes before I can do a proper uninstall and reinstall of everything. That may be awhile, I have an estimated time of 6 1/2 hours for the just the first movie to finish transcoding (high grain film).

I should also note I don't use FSE mode on MadVR. When I redo this test I'll try it both with and without FSE mode active to see if that makes a difference.

#9 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Unfortunately I saw that thread right after I started a long video transcoding job of two movies and some of those same software components are being made use of right now, so I'll be waiting until the job finishes before I can do a proper uninstall and reinstall of everything. That may be awhile, I have an estimated time of 6 1/2 hours for the just the first movie to finish transcoding (high grain film).

I changed my mind on this. I realized my transcode job was using the 32-bit version of x264 when it was supposed to be the 64-bit one so I aborted it and did my Zoom reinstall. I uninstalled all components from the Install Center, uninstalled Zoom Player from the Windows control panel, and then deleted the Zoom Player folder (first taking my downloaded background images and registration key out). Then reinstalled and installed all the components I had before. Then, as it mentioned on the other thread I also installed all the extra language packs.

Unfortunately, the next time I launched Zoom Player, the interface was in Ukrainian!

I tried applying my settings registry file (the one I attached above) but it was still in Ukrainian. Shouldn't the language preference be part of those settings? I was on "Default (English)" before.

I eventually got it back to English. Then I replaced the Zoom Player.exe with the new FSEfix build. I also used the "Default Settings.exe" to erase the changed settings from the backup registry patch file I'd tried before.

Have gone in and made the following changes:
  • Changed picture renderer to MadVR
  • Show OSD filename (and changed fullscreen size enlargement amount)
  • Keyboard prefs - Left and Right Arrow keys - Tracks (DVD Chapters) -- to allow quick changing of files in a folder.

I've also tried resetting MadVR's settings with the batch file Madshi provides that does that.

Here's what I have seen:

With MadVR's Full Screen Exclusive Mode OFF, I see the same as before. Zoom Player drops out of full screen for a split second between files. But only on the first file change after going to full screen view mode. Subsequent ones move from one to the other without doing this.

With MadVR's Full Screen Exclusive Mode ON, I now longer see Zoom Player drop out of full screen view to windowed mode. However it instead flashes the very beginning of the "old" file before starting the new one. For example, lets say I started playing clip "A" which starts with a red screen and changes to a green one later, and then switched the clip "B" of a blue screen. With MadVR's FSE mode ON what I'd see if clip A play from red to green, then I would see a brief flash of red before the clip B started playing a blue screen.

I have also reattached my NEW settings files (MadVR FSE disabled) to this post.

Attached Files

#10 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

Unfortunately, the next time I launched Zoom Player, the interface was in Ukrainian!

Yes. When you install languages from Install Center, Zoom is set to the language that you last selected in Install Center - which is Ukrainian in this case. I raised this with bLight, but he didn't think it was an issue (admittedly, though I can think of some reasons why the language of Zoom should not be automatically set based on Install Center, I can think of some why it should be).

I tried applying my settings registry file (the one I attached above) but it was still in Ukrainian. Shouldn't the language preference be part of those settings? I was on "Default (English)" before.

You will note as well that when you go back into Zoom afterwards and switch languages (back to English for example), the tags in Advanced Options-->Interface-->On Screen Display-->Audio Images and Tags-->Image Paths and Script are not changed. That is, they will still be in Ukranian. bLight doesn't have a good solution for this unfortunately, so the only thing you can do is to reinstall Zoom and not select the languages in Install Center - in this case that will be fine, as we were only doing that to test the installers and the Install Center functionality (though I can see for anyone who wants to swap languages frequently, this would be a problem).

With MadVR's Full Screen Exclusive Mode OFF, I see the same as before. Zoom Player drops out of full screen for a split second between files. But only on the first file change after going to full screen view mode. Subsequent ones move from one to the other without doing this.

With MadVR's Full Screen Exclusive Mode ON, I now longer see Zoom Player drop out of full screen view to windowed mode. However it instead flashes the very beginning of the "old" file before starting the new one. For example, lets say I started playing clip "A" which starts with a red screen and changes to a green one later, and then switched the clip "B" of a blue screen. With MadVR's FSE mode ON what I'd see if clip A play from red to green, then I would see a brief flash of red before the clip B started playing a blue screen.

I have also reattached my NEW settings files (MadVR FSE disabled) to this post.

Many thanks, I will load them into my install and see if I can produce. I will also let bLight know that you have posted a video.

Regards,

ehat

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:29 AM

Ok, I can reproduce here now, even with the FSE fix build. Your Zoom settings are fine - it's the madVR settings that cause the issue. Specifically, disabling FSE mode. I will re-open #314 and pass it back to bLight.

That's an issue with FSE mode itself and should occur with every player I think. I believe madshi said a while back that it is working as well as what he can make it, but he can't improve it to the point where no previous frames are shown. If the frames bother people, they just have to disable FSE mode unfortunately. If you could try another player though with those same madVR settings, and it doesn't occur - let me know and I can ask bLight about it.

ehat

#12 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

nx6 - Can you test this please with the new 0.83.1 version of madVR? My previous testing was done with 0.82.5 - and no problems reproducing it there with FSE mode disabled. With the new 0.83.1 though, I can't seem to produce it :huh: Which is good I suppose...unless my testing setup has gone astray in some way, in which case it is bad!

ehat

#13 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm not seeing it anymore, either with FSE mode disabled.
But it seems like it takes at least twice as long to change from one clip to another now.

New MadVR feature! Two-second black screen inserted to hide window drawing issue.

#14 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

Yes, it seems that with FSE disabled, it does take slightly longer to move to the next file. With FSE enabled, it seems to be about the same speed, but you still see the old frames of course.

New MadVR feature! Two-second black screen inserted to hide window drawing issue.

LOL :D

ehat

#15 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Looks like the issue with Zoom dropping out of fullscreen mode when using madVR with FSE mode disabled has returned with madVR v0.83.4.

#16 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Looks like the issue with Zoom dropping out of fullscreen mode when using madVR with FSE mode disabled has returned with madVR v0.83.4.

This isn't a Zoomplayer issue.
I can see it in MPC-HC, too.

#17 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Interesting - madshi must have changed something in between .1 and .4 to have affected this. If anyone has a Doom9 logon (I don't), please also report it to the madVR thread.

Thank,

ehat

#18 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Interesting - madshi must have changed something in between .1 and .4 to have affected this. If anyone has a Doom9 logon (I don't), please also report it to the madVR thread.

Posted to d9.

And the issue has been around longer than that. I just dug through my (computer's) trash and found my previous two MadVR installs. It seems I was running 0.82.5 when I made that video of playback with Zoom Player.

I've been reconfirming with those old MadVR folders now (resetting the settings and turning off FSE mode between version changes). It does happen in 0.82.5, 0.83.4, and the newest 0.83.6. But it's not there in the 0.83.1 build we tried.

What I want to know is when it started to begin with.

#19 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

The old versions of madVR are here if you want to do some testing:
http://www.videohelp...rsions#download

Identifying the exact version should mean madshi can work out the cause pretty quickly.

ehat

#20 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Ugh. Man, this is the tedious part.

The good news is I'm running MadVR 0.81 right now and the issue isn't there. :P

Edit: It happened between 0.81 and 0.82.1. That site doesn't have 0.82 available on it.
0.82.1 actually gives its version number as 0.82 on the settings but the changelog shows the extra version notes.