19 replies to this topic

#1 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sorry about the rush of updated builds everyone, I just provide them as the dev's request general testing on them!

Ok, Pre-Final #3. This one contains memory leak fixes. It contains the fixes from Build 1 and the subtitle fixes from Build 2.

With this one, no special instructions - the dev's just want a few days of general stability testing. For those of you that use subtitles, please continue to test the subtitles fixes. If you already are testing Build 2, I'd encourage you to update to this new build, as that way, you can help test the general stability as well. If you didn't get a copy of Build 2, but want to test the subtitles, please see the details here of what the dev's are looking for:
http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=13710

For the rest of you, just test it generally.

Download:
https://dl.dropbox.c...mleakfixes2.rar

Just some notes:
-For anyone unaware, this gets placed over the top of your v8.50 RC1 installation. That's because this is not the full installer, it is simply the updated Zoom Player executable (so it requires a full install of Zoom before you install this new build).
-Also, the changes to the Smart Play profiles (see changelog below) will only be part of the installer version when 8.50 goes final. In other words, the profiles are fixed but you won't see the fixes in this build as the Smart Play profiles are not included in the download.
-Unlike Build #2, this one does contain the updated visualisation .dll, so you don't need Build #1 before you use this one. Simply download this one, and install over the top of your 8.50 RC1 installation.

Changelog:
https://dl.dropbox.c...eta.changes.txt

Thanks,

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 17 October 2012 - 08:53 AM.
Updated link to point to updated build

#2 Shadrach

Shadrach

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Very cool, always nice to have a new thing to play with, especially since it fixes subtitle bugs ;)

You say Ehat, that you have few files with subtitles; good thing I have a lot of different files and formats, so I will test for a few days.

Happy to see the stuff reported with cycling and disabling seem to be gone, with a quick test at least.

Already found one different bug, but it might just be a problem with FFDShow subtitle parsing and might have existed for a while.
Anyway...

FIles with external subs of type idx+sub (binary format, not sure what type this is). For instance I have a file and subs:
come.and.see.[Idi i smotri].1985.CD1.avi
come.and.see.[Idi i smotri].1985.CD1.idx
come.and.see.[Idi i smotri].1985.CD1.sub

Using FFDShow for subs, detects both .idx and .sub file as subtitles and displays .idx as Russian (Cyrillic) subs. I cycle to .sub and nothing shows. With Vobsub, subs are detected properly, and actually contains 13 different languages of subtitles, with Russian only being #1. The .idx is just an index to data in the .sub file so this is not handled correctly, either by FFDShow or by ZP. Verified with a few other files with the same sub type and several languages.

#3 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

First post updated - there has been a 'zplayer_memleakfixes2' build provided by bLight, so I have posted a link to it in the first post. This particular one fixes memory leaks in the playlist - the suggested test to try and break it is to try messing with the play list (adding, removing, moving, sorting, etc). Dev's are particularly interested in crashes (if any).

@Shadrach - Thanks for the subtitles testing, much appreciated. The number of files I have with subtitles can be counted on one hand, so I am not the best person to be testing subtitle stuff! I can verify your idx+sub report - my guess is that it is a ffdshow problem, but I will put it into the tracker for the dev's to look at, as they did make those changes to the stream selection code in the earlier v8.x series a little while ago which may have broken something.

Regards,

ehat

Edit: #378 for subtitle report.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 17 October 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#4 reebok

reebok

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hello,
I bought zoomplayer for one reason: scene cut editor. Along with this, using subtitles makes what I do 100x easier. I have been stuck on v8.0 because I have never been able to get subtitles to work on any other version of ZP with any reliability. I posted about this, but of course I got it to work once and thought it was fixed, only to have it break again. By that time I was tired of dealing with it and let it lie. Now however, I am trying 8.5 RC1 with the updated files from this thread, and when I go to "stream selection" there are never any subtitles listed at all. They are there in 8.0 and MPC-HC has no problem with them, but ZP doesn't find any. They are MKV blu-ray rips and I am using the install center ffdshow.

#5 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hi reebok,

A couple of questions:

1. How are you testing both versions? There are really two methods I can think of:
a. You have a single installation of Zoom, and are simply copying the 8.50 Pre-Final update over the top of your 8.0 install (and then copying the 8.0 executable back when you want to revert to that version); or
b. You have two separate installations, one for v8.0 and the other for this 8.50 Pre-Final. Two separate installations could be on the same PC, or on different PC's.

2. What subtitle renderer are you using?

If you have gone with option b (two separate installations), my guess is your filters are not setup correctly for your 8.50 installation. Off the top of my head, there are a few things you could do in this case (if none of these work, we will need to get some more information off you):
i. The first option is to use the auto-configure button in Zoom's Smart Play options (Advanced Options-->Playback-->Smart Play). A restart of Zoom will be necessary afterwards to make any changes take effect.
ii. The second option is to double check that the options in Advanced Options-->Playback-->Video-->Subtitles are set exactly the same for both installations. There may be a single option set differently between the two installations that is preventing subtitles from working.
iii. Lastly, if you are using ffdshow as the subtitle renderer in Zoom, swap over to VobSub (or if you are using VobSub, swap over to ffdshow). If that changes things, that may help point us to the base cause of the issue.

If you have gone with option a (single installation, with executable swapping), do you have a test clip that reliably produces this issue that you can share? If so, I'd be very interested in seeing it - none of my (admittedly very small) collection of subtitle enabled files show this issue.

Regards,

ehat

#6 reebok

reebok

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm not really testing both versions. I have been using 8 for a long time and decided to try 8.5 last night. I installed over the top. my files are all 20+ gigs. I've always used ffdshow. I've tried directvobsub several times in the past with no success.

#7 reebok

reebok

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

also, in the past the subtitle options would always show up under Stream Selection (even if they didn't work), but now there is nothing there besides the audio track. This is what I mean by ZP doesn't even recognize there are subtitles.

#8 reebok

reebok

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

ok, it looks like subtitles work with ffdshow video decoder, but not with ffdshow dxva. I think I remember from past struggles the way zp does filter layering doesn't allow dxva+subtitles to work or something like that? I remember mpc-hc made a point about how they put the filters in a different order which allows for dxva+subtitles. ZP also doesn't install ffdshow dxva by default, which is highly annoying. while my computer can handle it, it just barely can, and dxva is something I absolutely want to use.

#9 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

ok, it looks like subtitles work with ffdshow video decoder, but not with ffdshow dxva. I think I remember from past struggles the way zp does filter layering doesn't allow dxva+subtitles to work or something like that? I remember mpc-hc made a point about how they put the filters in a different order which allows for dxva+subtitles.

It's not a question of how the filters are layered, it is a question of DXVA type. Subtitles will work with one type of DXVA, that being DXVA2 Copy-Back (CB), but not with the other (DXVA2 Native). My advice would be to use LAV Video Decoder instead of ffdshow if you want subtitles and DXVA - LAV supports both types of DXVA2. I don't know what type ffdshow supports, but I wouldn't be suprised if it only supports DXVA1 (i.e. no subtitles allowed).

Note though that depending on what renderer you use, it may not support that particular DXVA mode. madVR for example supports DXVA2 CB, not DXVA2 Native.

ZP also doesn't install ffdshow dxva by default, which is highly annoying. while my computer can handle it, it just barely can, and dxva is something I absolutely want to use.

The Zoom dev's strongly discourage using ffdshow DXVA by anyone, and so do I. It doesn't work very well, and that's why the DXVA module isn't included by default. If you really want it though, you can easily enable it. Uninstall ffdshow from Install Center, then disable the 'silent install' option in Install Center, and then lastly, install ffdshow again via Install Center. When the ffdshow installer displays, tick the DXVA module.

Regards,

ehat

#10 reebok

reebok

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

ffdshow dxva is awesome for my needs. I've edited 108 bluray mkv's with it and ZP, and subtitles work fine in v8.0. the main thing benefit is cpu use is at 8-10% with an uncompressed 1080p mkv. after further testing I tried using divx's h264 codec, and it's ok (subtitles work) but cpu use is at 40-50%. I will give LAV a try later, I'm at work right now. Thanks for the detailed info.

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Yes, it won't hurt to try LAV - you can always switch back to ffdshow if it doesn't work for you. You could also try CoreAVC - it supports DXVA and CUVID - but it is shareware unfortunately. If your video card is NVIDIA, I'd also suggest trying CUVID over DXVA. CUVID works better with NVIDIA cards than DXVA does, and AFAIK, does not have those subtitle limitations.

I mentioned above that I don't know what DXVA type ffdshow uses - coincidentally, nev (LAV's dev) addresses that in a Doom9 post today:
http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=12467

So, ffdshow uses Native DXVA.

ehat

#12 Hawke

Hawke

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

With the latest zplayer_memleakfixes2 build the randomly play all files in this directory function is not working, nothing happens the playlist just shows a bunch of blank entrys with no file names and each with a duration of 00.00. It works using the previous memleakfixes build and RC1.

Also when using a dual monitor setup (extended desktop mode) and starting Zoom Player in fullscreen mode on monitor 2 using the /z:2 parameter, the mouse pointer dissappears after right clicking on the system tray icon and accessing the menu. The menu options are highlighted but no pointer is shown until you move it off the menu.

Thanks

Hawke

#13 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

With the latest zplayer_memleakfixes2 build the randomly play all files in this directory function is not working, nothing happens the playlist just shows a bunch of blank entrys with no file names and each with a duration of 00.00. It works using the previous memleakfixes build and RC1.

Confirmed. #383 logged.

Also when using a dual monitor setup (extended desktop mode) and starting Zoom Player in fullscreen mode on monitor 2 using the /z:2 parameter, the mouse pointer dissappears after right clicking on the system tray icon and accessing the menu. The menu options are highlighted but no pointer is shown until you move it off the menu.

Can't reproduce this one, works fine here. So, you have the system tray icon option enabled obviously (it is disabled by default) - are there any specific steps you can detail that could produce this however? I just enabled the tray icon, created a new shortcut for Zoom, added Z:2 to it, then started Zoom with that shortcut. Zoom opened on the second monitor, I then moved the mouse back to the first monitor, right clicked the tray icon - and nothing was wrong. I then tried it with a video playing - still the same result, all worked fine. What Windows are you running, and what video card? I use Win 7 with NVIDIA - I wonder if it is video card/driver specific?

ehat

#14 Hawke

Hawke

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Sorry for the lack of information, using a Ivy Bridge Notebook (dual graphics Intel / Nvidia GTX680m) with Win7 Pro hooked up to a TV (VGA input) extended desktop mode. I went back and couldn't reproduce it at first either, must have been a fluke the first time.

Start Zoom Player from a shortcut on monitor 1 using zplayer.exe /z:2 command. Leave the mouse on monitor 1 and use the keyboard controls to open the file browser and play a video, stop the video then right click on the system tray icon (monitor 1) and access the menu (the mouse pointer won't display while on the menu only the highlights).

Happens with both video cards Intel or Nvidia driving the display.

Thanks

Hawke

#15 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Thanks Hawke. I have put it into the tracker anyway (#384) - there was a bug fixed a while back (#257) that had the disappearing mouse cursor when fullscreen with EVR (when right clicking on the Zoom window at that point). Not the same set of circumstances, but the same symptom, which I think is interesting. The dev's may have some ideas about it.

ehat

#16 Hawke

Hawke

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yeah I'm using EVR, it's weird because if you move the mouse over to monitor 2 and then back to the tray icon on monitor 1 there is no problem. Could be some kind of window focus issue.

Thanks.

Hawke

#17 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

Ok, I can reproduce now. Renderer I was using and the set of steps was the problem - changed to EVR, repeated your steps from post #14, and bingo - issue occurs. So it isn't just restricted to your system - and mine is just to a second monitor on the same PC, not a TV.

It's very odd - but hopefully the dev's will be able to produce it as easily as we can, and can do something about it.

ehat

#18 Hawke

Hawke

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for testing, sorry about the confusion that was my fault.

Hawke.

#19 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:58 AM

#383 and #384 are fixed in 8.5 final :)

The dev's believe #378 is a bug in ffdshow, and have suggested reporting it in the ffdshow thread over on Doom9.

ehat

Edit: I've reported it in the ffdshow thread.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 25 October 2012 - 03:40 AM.

#20 Hawke

Hawke

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

Nice work.