9 replies to this topic

#1 wernerb

wernerb

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

Hey guys, great software....but I have this annoying problem. I use Zoom on a HDTV as secondary display and if I walk away with it unused on screen, it freezes with a non-recoverable error 5 message.

Says system error 5. Basically a read-only error, but what file?? and why?? Have to click on button to close then I get a white screen which I have to use Alt-F4 to close.

Would really appreciate a fix for this...thanks.

Bill

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:13 AM

Hi Bill,

The only couple of things I can think of are:

1. It may be the internal screensaver. In Zoom, go Advanced Options-->System-->Screen Saver and Capture and disable "Use Internal Screen Saver (seconds)". Click Ok to exit back to Zoom and then close and restart Zoom to make it take effect. See if the problem persists after that.

2. If that doesn't help, it may be that the video renderer you are using has a problem. In Zoom, go Advanced Options-->Playback-->Video, and check what you are using in the "Video Renderer" field. If madVR, try changing it to EVR - if EVR, try changing it to one of the VMR9 entries ('VMR9 Windowed' should do fine). Click Ok once you have made the change, and then close and restart Zoom to make the change to take effect.

Regards,

ehat

#3 wernerb

wernerb

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Thanks; will try and let you know.

#4 wernerb

wernerb

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

Seems to be fixed; must have been the screen saver... Disabled it and no prob so far... Thanks.

#5 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:41 AM

No problem. What operating system do you run? The dev's would probably be interested in working out what might be causing the screensaver to cause an error like that. If you are on a system that has UAC (Vista/Seven) and you ever wanted to enable the screensaver again, you could try running Zoom as an admin. That shouldn't be necessary of course - and Zoom is designed to run without admin rights - but it would be interesting to see if it resolves that error.

Regards,

ehat

#6 wernerb

wernerb

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

It doesn't; have always run with UAC disabled and as full admin; I know bad idea, but hate aggravations caused by priviledges! Win 7 x64 SP1.

Thanks.

#7 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

Thanks - I've logged this into the bug tracker (#332) for the dev's to look at!

ehat

#8 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

The response from the dev's to the bug report was that If the setting to 'Disable windows screen saver and monitor powerdown' is disabled, then this may happen. That was the only explanation they could come up with for the moment.

ehat

#9 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

There was another 'system error 5' fixed in a recent build of Zoom Player, so I believe that it is likely that this one has been fixed as well (it seems to be fixed for the steps that I used to reproduce the system error 5 anyway).

ehat

#10 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:23 AM

Just updating - we received another report of this problem recently:

http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=14404

bLight took another look at it, and found that it may happen if the monitor would powerdown before Zoom's screensaver would start. The question being - can anyone affected still reproduce this with the latest public build? That being v10.0 Beta 7:

http://www.inmatrix....ayer_beta.shtml

ehat