#1 D-S

D-S

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:36 AM

Dear Sirs/Madams,

I have following issue with ZoomPlayer MAX 9.3 (now updated to 9.4) on Windows 7 64 Ultimate: when I am away from PC, screensaver activates first, and after some time, the screen switches off completely for energy saving. When I come back and wake PC up, I always get "System Error. Code: 5 Access Denied" error, which is very annoying (see the attached screenshot).

Just to make sure it does not fit previously solved cases, I have made sure that:

1) ZP Max is run "as administrator" (see the second screenshot with this setting is on),

2) UAC is off,

3) the video I am playing does not have LAV or MAD filters in chain.

Please advise me how to get rid of this error via change of setting or release 9.4 update where this error would go away.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Files

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Hi D-S,

Welcome to the forums :) This is a long-standing issue that has affected a small number of people (#332 in the bug tracker refers). Though I found a way to reproduce the 'system error. code 5' error (reported as #594 in the bug tracker), it wasn't by using the Zoom screensaver. bLight (Zoom's developer) was able to fix the particular bug that I reported, and we had hoped that it may have fixed the screensaver error as well - as it was the exact same error message and neither of us could reproduce the issue with the screensaver. The fix for my reproduction steps was incorporated in v9.1, and I can verify that it is still fixed with 9.5 Beta 4 (which is the version I am using). That being the case, the fix for my reproduction steps would seem not to fix the screensaver issue as you are using 9.4.

I will re-open the screensaver bug (I closed it when bLight fixed the other issue that caused code 5), but until we can reproduce the issue with the screensaver, it is unlikely to be fixed unfortunately. Running Zoom as an administrator to see if that fixed the error was the only suggestion I had - and you have already done that.

Original code 5 thread for (mainly my) reference:

http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=13654

Regards,

ehat

#3 D-S

D-S

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:08 PM

Thanks, Ehat.

In my case screensaver itself does not seem to trigger error. Next step in energy saving, where display/videocard is switched off, is when it appears.

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

Interesting - what video renderer are you using? I've added your comment to the bug report - I am hoping it may assist bLight in tracking down the problem.

ehat

#5 D-S

D-S

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:27 PM

Thanks; I use Enhanced Video Renderer (with FFDShow).

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

Nuts, I was hoping you might be using madVR :( One of the earlier theories about the cause of the problem was that it was related to madVR. Ok, let's turn that around - if you select something other than EVR, do you still see the problem? Changing a video renderer requires a restart of Zoom to take effect, or a reload of the currently playing media file (Shift+J) if you are in playing a file when you change it. Just keep in mind that Haali's and madVR are both extra installs - so if you don't have either installed, so select them as the video renderer, you will only get a black screen when you try and play a video.

(More than likely you will still see the problem, I just want to totally rule out the video renderer as being part of the equation)

ehat

#7 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

I have just thought of one other thing that might come in handy - could you possibly upload a screenshot of the screensaver section of your Zoom Player options? System->Screen Saver and Capture.

ehat

#8 D-S

D-S

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

Thanks, Ehat. Here is the screenshot with ZP Max options. I only now noticed that the enscription near two checkboxes at the top are nearly the same with the only difference that the first is in Russian and about fullscreen mode and the second is in English and does not mention fullscreen mode.

So my guess is that even though ZP Max is "run as administrator" mode it can not forbid OS to invoke switching off the power of the video card/display? How do I give ZP Max even more rights so it could allow to prevent it?

Attached Files

#9 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:28 AM

Ah, the Russian translation must not quite be complete. The top option in the screensaver section is - in English:

Disable Windows Screensaver and Monitor Powerdown when entering Fullscreen mode

The second option (the one just below it which shows as English in your screenshot) is:

Disable Windows Screensaver and Monitor Powerdown while running

Basically, the first one attempts to disable the Windows screensaver and monitor powerdown while in fullscreen mode only. The second one attempts to do the same, this time in windowed (non-fullscreen) mode.

Ok:

1. Did you manage to test with another video renderer, just to rule that out?

2. I notice that some of those strings are cut-off, which is odd. Have you changed your Windows DPI settings by any chance (eg to 125% or 150%)? If so, I don't suppose that reverting back to 100% makes the problem go away?

3. If you enable the third option (which is the one to the left of the greyed out checkbox with "1800" written in it), does anything change? In English, that option is "Use Internal Screen Saver (seconds)".

4. Lastly, if you disable the following option, does it change anything? The option - in English - is "Display Streamers (adds a water effect to the image)" - it is the very last of the checkbox options in your screenshot.

From Vista onwards, 'run as administrator' is the highest level access a user can get. It's not actually the highest, there are still some things that are blocked off with this account - there is an account called 'Trusted Installer" that has additional access, but you can't actually access this account as a user I don't believe. This function should work with normal admin access though - the last time I tested it on my system (which was when bLight added that option to disable the screensaver in windowed mode as well), it worked fine even without running as admin (ie just as a normal user).

I have also asked bLight to pop in and take a look at this thread, and see if there is any additional information that he can think of that might be helpful to us in trying to track this down.

ehat

#10 D-S

D-S

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Thanks; due to nature of this error and how it appears, it will take a while to try those different settings. I usually work on PC, I am rarely away for long enough time for PC to enter display/video card/PC sleep mode.

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

No worries, I will be interested in the results. bLight did have a few questions of his own:

1. Are you running Zoom in windowed mode, or fullscreen mode?

2. When the error occurs, is the video paused, or playing?

3. Does this only happen with video files, audio files, or both?

4. Does it happen all the time, or just rarely?

Another few from me:

5. How do you wake up the monitor? Just move the mouse, press a key on the keyboard etc.

6. Are your power settings set to put the PC to sleep / hibernate, or just power down the monitor?

7. If LAV is not in the chain, what filters are in use?

bLight said that as you have the internal screensaver disabled, it would not be that which is crashing. The reason why I asked you to re-enable that setting with #3 in my previous post is not because I think it will solve the problem, but rather that I wanted to be absolutely 100% sure that had nothing to do with it (the same applies to #4 in my previous post).

What he thinks is probably happening is that your monitor power downs and then Zoom or one of the filters tries to do something with the screen and then you get the system error 5 (which is basically an access denied sort of error).

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 21 October 2014 - 01:59 PM.
Added some further questions from myself

#12 D-S

D-S

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

1. ZPMax in a window mode;

2. The video is on pause (somewhere in the middle);

3. I do not listen to audio files, so I have only seen it on video;

4. It happens absolutely every time under condition of PC going to switch video/display off (and or/sleep mode);

5. I usually press any key on the keyboard to wake things up (sometimes it goes through password/log in screen, but it does not cause the error on its on, I tested it);

6. I have set turning the screen off in 25 minutes and whole PC into sleep mode into 30 minutes -- either of this causes the error;

7. FFDShow and Enhanced Video Renderer (video-related filters);

I will report on the settings chance once I will finish trying them; thanks again, Ehat.

#13 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

Thanks for the additional information - I will pass it onto bLight, and continue my attempts to reproduce the problem in the meantime.

ehat

#14 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

D-S, if you reset Zoom Player to the default settings (with Zoom Player closed, run the 'Restore Default Settings' entry in the Zoom Player->Help folder in the Start Menu), does the problem still occur? You can always backup your Zoom settings via the Export option in Zoom's options dialog to easily restore them afterwards.

ehat

#15 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:19 AM

D-S, bLight has a question for you. He said that he found a possible cause for this error. Apparently, it would happen if the monitor would powerdown BEFORE Zoom's internal screensaver would start. His question was: can you recreate it with the latest public build? That being v10.0 Beta 7:

http://www.inmatrix....ayer_beta.shtml

ehat