9 replies to this topic

#1 ByteM3

ByteM3

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:43 AM

The Ati 57XX series has some nice bells & whistles but has many problems.

For all those Experiencing Audio Clicks etc, Download This : http://www.thesycon....ncy_check.shtml
Please test your DPC latencies playing a video in SW mode, NOT using DXVA, & MAKE SURE your VIDEO WINDOW IS ON TOP,
Like So, Have a look, this is on XP, but many reported problems on windows 7 as well.

Note: You MUST use Software non DXVA playback & have the VIDEO WINDOW ON TOP when you test the DPC latency,
otherwise you will not get a true (ie as horrible) DPC reading !

I have been looking into these cards for a while now.
I am very disappointed with almost every PC review site I have read,
& it seems like almost no one is professional & unbiased enough to stop marketing these cards & start testing them.

The related problems I have found are not all the same, Here are a few MAJOR problems, but not all:

Problem 1:

ATI Powerplay changing the clock rates, causing this problem.
With Some Older 5XXX BIOSES that did not alter the clock rates,
Windows 7 did not have the DPC & Audio Clicks issues , while XP Still Did.

Problem 2:
Audio glitches Happen even when PowerPlay Disabled, when Playing in Software Mode, I think Mainly on XP with VMR9, Even with Older non PowerPlay Bioses,
& with ATI Overdrive Forcing stable clocks

Problem 3:
2D performance plain SUCKS on these cards, & horrible on Windows 7/Vista .
This may/ not mean much to HTPC users, but everything to a regular PC user.

If You do any sort of regular graphics (ignore the IF..)
its all 2D ..

After looking hopelessly for ANY solution or even recognition to this problem from professionals, so I can share it, I found there is only one Site with staff professional & unbiased enough to Note the problem.

Not only did they notice it, they published 2 giant articles about it, (& it is certainly NOT Anandtech).

http://translate.goo...JmE80SocVJvS1PA

http://translate.goo...DD41tSF7uYG3fwg

Problem 4:
DXVA Playback can lead to anything from Green/Pink Bars screen corruption, to total system lockups, depending on content played.

Some test files that may cause problems:

http://dl.getdropbox...s_high_l5.1.mp4

http://www.bigandfree.com/12026035

http://www.bigandfree.com/12025128

more test files & more links & info can be found in http://nunnally.ahmy...eos-using-dxva/

even more issues can be found here:
http://forums.amd.co...p;enterthread=y

I am wondering how many of you have this problem but not aware of it yet, please post your findings.

Have a Look in this screen capture on how to reproduce:

Posted Image

UPDATE :
Gigabyte have recreated the Problem on their own test machines, no solution yet.:

UPDATE:

It seems like Gigabyte decided they stand behind the ATI hardware, Despite their own findings - Read from the BOTTOM up

Posted Image

#2 shellsunder

shellsunder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

Very informative post, thanks.

With this new machine I just assembled, everything is running so very much faster than it did on my previous machine, that there's a noticeable pause as zp changes to the next audio track. I notice this particularly because I'm playing Grateful Dead concerts, wherein the music or noise runs on continuously from the start to the end and the tracks are merely nominally imposed, unlike on a CD, for instance, where the engineers place some separating silence between tracks.

I'm running a Core i7 930 (4 cores), with some modest overclocking and overvoltage of the CPU, Northbridge and video card, 12 GB of 1033 mhz DDR3, 3 channel mode, SATA 3 AHCI drive (6 GB/s), Gigabyte X58-UD3 mother board (I meant to get a UD5, but the clerk gave me a UD3 and I'd already installed the CPU and its cooler before I realized I'd closed my mental eyes to it for the previous 48 hours. It works fine, though, so, I'm just angry with myself (still) for being careless.) Windows 7 x64, Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, Powercolor PSC+ Radeon 5870 video.

Anyway, I was going to post about these little pauses zp introduces but read the beginning post of this thread with great interest. The DPC latency checking app reports an average of about 90 us delay and about 200us when the machine is somewhat loaded, so, it's not my hardware/software that's causing the pauses. I thinks it's reasonable to suspect that zp is not fast enough or looking forward enough to accommodate the speed with which the audio stream is being presented. I'm running home pro 7.0.

This isn't a bug, really, whereas ByteMe's is. This is a report of pushing the envelope a little. Could you provide a setting for increase of zp's important internal buffer sizes? Alternatively, perhaps there's a setting somewhere in the OS or BIOS that can help reduce this. Any ideas?

Concerning ByteMe's problem with video rendering, I suspect the problem is primarily due to XP. On Win 7, x64, this video card, a Radeon 5870, as I said, doesn't show the problems described.

Thanks for your interest.

#3 sheer

sheer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

I have just built a new system with an AMD 6 core with a 5770 video card. As soon as I install the drivers for the video card Zoom player will start ntdll access violations errors every time I try to open an avi and possibly all videos. With out the video card drivers installed it works fine.
Also GOM player does this.
I do not have the problem with VLC player or windows media player with the video card drivers loaded.
I just want to know why Zoom player, my favourite media player, is doing this. It means I will have to look for an alternative most likely stay with VLC, but I much prefer Zoom!

cheers for any feedback.

#4 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi.

Did you look into what ByteM3 said, and the known problems?
Also, I thik it would be wise to visit ATI's forums, since this is something that can affect other programs, not just ZP..

#5 midiboy

midiboy

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hi !

Does anyone know if these problems are solved with the ATI 6xxx series ?

Happy 2011 !

#6 sheer

sheer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi.

Did you look into what ByteM3 said, and the known problems?
Also, I thik it would be wise to visit ATI's forums, since this is something that can affect other programs, not just ZP..

I have been trying to find the reason for a week now, but what I am trying to find out here I suppose is if anybody can advise which codec maybe or renderer is causing this problem in Zoom player. The player itself loads ok, just causes the ntdll error when you try to play a avi or others. If VLC can work, I believe Zoom player should also if I maybe disable or remove the conflicting software. My problem is I am unable to determine what it is, but I am no guru and was hoping a far smarter person on this forum could help me. I love Zoom player and feel my system is incomplete without it.

cheers for any further help or input.

Further more I have found BS player works also and may be an alternative.

#7 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hi sheer, I have several suggestions and questions -

Questions -
1. What ZP version are you using?
2. Did you install the codecs from the ZP install center?

Suggestions to pinpoint the problem -
1. If the videos you are trying to watch have subtitles, try to see if the subs are the problem (by copying to file srt/sub file to another folder just for a check and playing the video).

If this turns out to be the problem, you may have not installed VSFilter or have a specific ZP version that has a patch to solve the problem.

2. Try changing renderer and see if it affects the problem (in options->playback->video).

Happy new year,
Booga.

#8 sheer

sheer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

I have finally found that if I disable directx - directdraw acceleration, which also disables direct 3d acceleration and AGP texture acceleration, via the run command "dxdiag"; I can play all the videos fine. but if I need to play a game I have to turn them back on. I hope this helps someone identify what the problem is.

sheer

#9 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Thanks sheer for this information :)

#10 SimonP

SimonP

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Is this problems still considered to be current?

I bought an ATI 5750 a few months back and haven't seen any problems with it at all. I had read this thread beforehand but decided to give it a go anyway and have been very pleased with it.

Admittedly my ears are pretty knackered but the only unusual noises I hear are when scrolling up and down web pages, I haven't seen any video corruption at all and while I don't play games, performance has been everything I hoped for.

(Win 7 x64, current drivers and nothing much changed in ZP).