Photo

Do Post DX9 Video Cards Provide Any Advantages for Viewing Images and Videos?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lambeth511

lambeth511

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

I still use a pre-DX-9 video card, a no-fan ATI 9000.

I view it for viewing photos with XnView and playing DVDs and videos with Zoom Player. I do not play any games. I have no plans to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7.

My main concern is image quality, which seems to be fine with my present card. My Sony Trinitron CRT monitor is as colorful and bright as ever, despite age.

As my card gets older and older but continues to work, I have wondered if I should upgrade it. But then I ask, what is the point of putting more heat in my system, if what I see is going to be the same. I have read specs on later cards which seem to apply only to games. Do newer video cards have anything to improve my present viewing experience?

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

Hi lambeth511,

Newer video cards are being driven by the gaming market in the main. As far as I am aware, DX9, DX10, DX10.1 and DX11 cards provide no (2D/Windows desktop) image quality benefits outside of games over a pre-DX9 card (3D/games is a different matter). However, certain newer cards do provide hardware acceleration when playing video files. If you play high-res videos, this could be of benefit. I'd give the normal advice here I'd give anyone describing your circumstances - if you are happy with the image quality you are getting at the moment, don't upgrade.

Regards,

CM