2 replies to this topic

#1 Mary H

Mary H

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

I've searched all over the place, and I can't seem to find a description of what kind of installation to use for ZP 7 Max on Windows 7 Professional (32 bit)

The first couple of times around I went with the standard installation, which put ZP in the Program Files folder.I thought things were working fine, but soon realized that some ZP settings were not being saved. It seems to be a folder or registry permissions issue.

So then I completely uninstalled ZP and all the components the Install Manager installs, cleaned the registry thoroughly and then restarted. I then installed ZP from scratch again, in legacy mode, in a new "Program Files (x86)/Zoom Player" folder, as recommended elsewhere.

Now, when I try to play a file I get an error that a profile folder in the "ProgramData" folder is missing. Sure enough, look in Smart Play or DVD setup and there's nothing in the lists. All the profiles are gone.

So... would some kind soul please point me to a concise but accurate description of the recommended method to install ZP 7 Max on a Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) computer? Please? :rolleyes:

#2 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Hi..
First off, Win7 or Vista users can do a legacy install only if they disable UAC !!
So, let's forget about legacy install for a.. lifetime.

The first couple of times around I went with the standard installation, which put ZP in the Program Files folder.I thought things were working fine, but soon realized that some ZP settings were not being saved. It seems to be a folder or registry permissions issue.

You should examine that!
ZP saves settings in the registry (assuming you are a registered user). So, you should check the registry permissions and size.
If you want, you can switch to a local configuration file instead of the registry.
To do that, Options->System->Save Configuration to a Local File.
The file will be saved as zplayer.local in C:\ProgramData\Zoom Player .

I hope this is a good explaination :rolleyes:
Booga.

#3 Mary H

Mary H

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

Hi..
First off, Win7 or Vista users can do a legacy install only if they disable UAC !!
So, let's forget about legacy install for a.. lifetime.

You should examine that!
ZP saves settings in the registry (assuming you are a registered user). So, you should check the registry permissions and size.
If you want, you can switch to a local configuration file instead of the registry.
To do that, Options->System->Save Configuration to a Local File.
The file will be saved as zplayer.local in C:\ProgramData\Zoom Player .

I hope this is a good explaination :)
Booga.

Thanks! I do have UAC disabled, did have all along. I am the only user, and I am in the Administrator group, have been all along. Neither made a difference.

I THINK I finally found an installation method that works for me though. I'll state it here just in case somebody else comes along and finds this thread. (I still think you need a sticky thread for this... there's one for Vista, and even for XP, but nothing for Windows 7!)

1. Signed in as whatever user is going to be using the HTPC, create a new Folder outside of Program Files called whatever you want... mine is "Program Files (x86)" just because that's what my win7 X64 desktop computer did on its own.

2. Use a Standard installation of ZP, but direct it into that new folder instead of "Program Files." This seems to bypass the folder permissions problems.

3. When you run Install Center, uncheck the "Silent Install" so that you can monitor each component's progress and direct it's installation into a folder under that same "Program Files (x86)" (or whatever...) folder. This is especially important for ffdshow, so that settings and profiles can be saved.

I did all this 2 days ago, right after starting this thread, and so far it's working fine and both ZP and ffdshow settings and profiles seem to be saving as they should. No guarantees though. :rolleyes: (PS: I might have changed the permissions of the ProgramData folder, I don't remember now for sure... if you have problems, try that.)