• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reala

Reala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

I have a few mp4s I've created using Nero Recode 3 using AC3 Direct Stream Copy for the audio. Zoomplayer is unable to detect the audio streams in these mp4s. VLC detects the audio streams as "sac3" but is unable to play them. All my other mp4s created with Nero Recode work flawlessly (multiple audio streams, subs) so maybe this is an easy issue to fix?

#2 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

It's possible you made an error during encoding and your audio is not really encoded to AC3... At least not standard AC3.

#3 generalleoff

generalleoff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

I believe the only audio formats officially supported in an MP4 container are MPEG-1/2 (Layer I, II, and III), MPEG-2/4 AAC, and AppleLossless. Adding unsupported streams is probably just asking for playback problems. I'm not an expert on that though.

#4 Reala

Reala

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:31 AM

Blight: It plays just fine in Nero Showtime which I guess isn't surprising. I've never had any problems playing back any of the files I've created using Nero Recode 3 in Zoomplayer (Multiple audio streams, subtitles, you name it..) except for any encoded with AC3 streams. The only reason I decided to copy the AC3 audio stream is because of weird timing issues when reencoding the audio in AAC in Recode 3 (this is from an old PAL format Chinese DVD movie).

generalleoff: It seems you are correct, AC3 is not officially supported in an MP4 container. Perhaps this will be changing now that Nero is supporting it in their Nero Digital suite. It seems some efforts are underway to support this configuration in at least one other player.