3 replies to this topic

#1 Barsk

Barsk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:19 AM

Hi!

I am having serious troubles with the VMR9 renderer viewing 720*576 video on my 720p display. The video is scaled badly so that you can clearly see jaggies or steppings on diagonal lines. The overall image quality is pretty bad and suffers fron the washed out problems also. Using the Haali renderer the image quality is perfect.

I am using the latest Nvida drivers on a Geforce 8600GT on Vista Ultimate with Aero, have applied no registry tweaks or anything. Tried the checkbox in the options dialog that would "fix" a VMR9 scaling bug but it had no effect.

Using Haali is a great workaround for playing video from the HD on ZP, but I get the same problem in GB-PVR when watching TV, so the problem is not isolated to ZP. In Power-DVD 7.3 the quality is fine too. Don't know what renderer is used there, but I do have hardware decoding activated. The problem seems to lie in the VMR9 renderer (or the NVidia driver).

I have seen earlier forum posts about a downscaling bug. But I am upscaling... And it does seem I am stuck in a simpler scaling algorithm that is not bicubic.

Any ideas how to fix this? Is the bug present in XP. I have the option to drop back to XP if all else fails. :-(
I would really like to use a renderer that does not break Purevideo, like Haali does since I want to decode some HD stuff also.

/Barsk

#2 J.B.

J.B.

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Have you tried the EVR renderer? It's the standard renderer in Vista.

#3 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

Did you update your graphic card driver? I've seen some quality increase in VMR9 under vista with updated drivers. Still no haali/evr quality, but not horrific like it was in older drivers.

#4 Barsk

Barsk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:09 PM

Did you update your graphic card driver? I've seen some quality increase in VMR9 under vista with updated drivers. Still no haali/evr quality, but not horrific like it was in older drivers.

Yes, latest drivers always!
Same issues with VMR though.

EVR was clearly better, but had other issues, mainly film mode in Purevideo that got rendered as two pictures on top of each other. Odd...

I have backed away from Vista now. Back to good ol' XP. Works like a charm now!

/Kristian