11 replies to this topic

#1 RegWizard

RegWizard

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:39 AM

Zoom Player Install Center is a new application that will be bundled with v5 (in the next release candidate).

What the Install Center does, is connect to the internet and fetch a list of components (mainly directshow filters) and allow the user to easily select, install and even pre-configure (where we felt the default installation wasn't the best default configuration) the filters.

Combined with Smart Play, the Install Center should ensure that you have the recommended filters installed and properly configured.

For this test, there is only a limited number of filters represented. More will be added in time, and since the filter list is downloadable, you wont need to re-install (except for any bugs we might find).

What we need from you is feedback. Is there anything illogical in how the interface works? Is there something missing (other than more filters/components)? are there bugs?

Security:
Since internet connectivity and application installation is involved and NO server is really safe, we encrypted/signed everything, so even if our servers somehow get comprimised, all files are MD5 checked and Public Key signed (the MD5 checksums are Public Key encrypted with an additional signing to make sure it's real), so this new service should be quite safe.

How to download:
Just download "zpic100.exe", and run (this EXE is an installer).

Download Here (272kb)
MD5: 0D80D9E825BBC32C0FFBA196E600D499

We await your feedback!

#2 pek

pek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

snipped body.

I tried the install center, found it when I was looking for the answer to a problem. I was going to re-load ZP anyway, so I thought I'd give this a try. I un-registered the old filters before I un-installed ZP. WhenI ran the install center, I couldn't just check (left click to choose) a filter, I had to double-click one at a time to install, with or without silent install selected. I had 4 to choose from, Haali, ffdshow, DCoders MP3 and DierctVobSub. They seemed to install ok, I just couldn't select more than one at a time and had to double-click to select. So it might just be my system quirks that I couldn't select more than one at a time.

pek

#3 Koogle

Koogle

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:11 AM

right.. now thats what I'm talking about.. can't believe it, i only just made a post about the codec hassle that goes on yesterday. Now this is definitely a step in the right direction

#4 RegWizard

RegWizard

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:12 PM

pek:
There are only 4 to choose from since this is a test version, we haven't populated the filter list as we want to see some feedback first.

I see what you mean by the inability to select more than one filter, I updated the zpic.exe file and you should now be able to select more than one filter.

The download link remains the same (the MD5 checksum has been updated). Download again and overwrite the previous file.

#5 RegWizard

RegWizard

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

The EXE has been updated again (small fix for Win95/98/ME) and the component list expanded.

#6 RegWizard

RegWizard

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:33 PM

Another update to the EXE.

Changes include automatic selection of components that need update and an option to automatically configure components (right now it only applies to ffdshow).

#7 butlerat

butlerat

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:51 PM

Only a slight bug but when the main window loads up on a machine with dual-monitors its opens between the two i.e. it opens centre of the whole desktop rather than centre the primary display.

#8 RegWizard

RegWizard

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

Fixed the position bug and from this build, the Install Center has the ability to update itself (and Zoom Player for versions later than 5).

The Install Center now comes with an installer.

#9 Frankysan

Frankysan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:55 PM

This is wonderful! I've been wanting something like this for quite a while now. The only thing I've noticed so far is very minor... Haali's Media Spliter.

Keep it up!

#10 geircito

geircito

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:56 PM

Great work!!

The installer installs all the components in separate folders in the "Program Files" folder.
I would prefer to have an opportunity to install all components in a subfolder of my choice (ie "\Program Files\Audio\Zoom Player\Components").
The "Program Files" folder gets pretty full with all these components install (together with all the stuff that's already there).

--

#11 RegWizard

RegWizard

Admin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

geircito:
These are not inmatrix installers (at least most aren't), but if you uncheck "silent install", you'll be shown the installation dialog for each component, which would allow you to select the installation path.

everyone:
The Install center will also provide an additional tool, it will allow for Zoom Player Patches, so that bug fixes should be more frequent and require less effort to upgrade.

#12 worldcitizen

worldcitizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

Feedback......

Beautiful!! Beautiful!!! Love it!! Love it!!!

Recently my wife started watching FLV files but had to watch them online because I never figured out how to use Zoom Player to watch them. I used the Install Centre and that got me what I needed to watch them full screen with the ability to tweak to my heart's content.

For people who want to be able to play flv files without the hassel of looking for splitters and codecs this is a perfect idea!!