Photo

Playing .TS Files Properly.... MY HDTV Pump/Elecard/MPEG2 Video Decoder Problems (Gitter/No Audio etc.)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dingle

Dingle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:26 AM

Hi all, i decided to make an account and post this because im sure, like many ppl, i spent the better part of my tuesday fixing zoomplayer/wmp to play .ts files properly.

Im a filter/codec NOOB and this topic is just about my experiences. It my or may not help ppl, but, hopefully i can at least help one person.

Please Refer to http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/formats/mpeg2.shtml for background knowledge of .TS (MPEG-2 Transport) files

NOTE: VLC Media Player ALWAYS works well for .ts files as it comes with all its own splitter/filters/codecs etc.
NOTE: Audio in .TS files can be encoded in a number of ways ie LPCM/AC3 etc. and audio codecs/filters were never an issue for me aslong as i had the correct audio codecs installed
SIDE NOTE: I was NEVER able to get ZoomPlayer to play UDP Streams Properly.

Anyway back to the issue at hand.....The problem with playing .ts files lies in:
1) Which .TS Splitter you use (a.k.a MPEG-2 Splitter or Demultiplexer or Demux etc. etc.)
2) Which MPEG-2 Video Decoder you use (a.k.a filter or codec etc.)

Here are the combinations i tried and the problems i got

COMBO 1:
---------------
1)Splitter/Demultiplexer - HDTV Pump
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - DScaler MPEG-2 Video Decoder
The PROBLEM with this combo - Poor Seeking/Image Problems/Crashing/(because of HDTV Pump) Some audio streams gave sharp clicks or screeches

COMBO 2:
---------------
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - Gabest Universal Open Source MPEG Video Decoder v1.0.0.3
The PROBLEM with this combo - Non-Specific Image Problems/(because of HDTV Pump) Some audio streams gave sharp clicks or screeches

COMBO 3:
---------------
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec 1.2.0.79
The PROBLEM with this combo - Non-Specific Image Problems/(because of HDTV Pump) Some audio streams gave sharp clicks or screeches

COMBO 4:
---------------
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - GPL MPEG-12 DirectShow Decoder
The PROBLEM with this combo - (because of HDTV Pump) Some audio streams gave sharp clicks or screeches

COMBO 5:
---------------
1)Splitter/Demultiplexer - Elecard MPEG-2 Video Decoder Pack 3.0 ...
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - Elecard MPEG-2 Video Decoder Pack 3.0 ...
The PROBLEM with this combo - Audio Stream not Split (could not be played) by Elecard MPEG-2 Demultiplexer

COMBO 6:
---------------
1)Splitter/Demultiplexer - Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu....skaSplitter.exe)
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - GPL MPEG-12 DirectShow Decoder
(http://www.free-code...oder_Filter.htm)
The PROBLEM with this combo - High Res video gets scaled down (ie 1080i/p HDTV .TS Streams get scaled down by GPL MPEG-12 DirectShow Decoder which cant do high res)

MY FINAL SOLUTION:
---------------
1)Splitter/Demultiplexer - Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu....skaSplitter.exe)
2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - DScaler MPEG Filters 5.0.0.8
FINAL COMBO Plays .TS PERFECTLY in Zoomplayer/WMP
ALSO: MPEG-2 Video Decoder - Cyberlink MPEG-2 Video Decoder gave good picture aswell.

Hope some of this helps

#2 bear7

bear7

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:40 AM

hi Dingle,
Well done on your account, this will certianly save similar headaches for others later on.

I just want to help clarify some of the things you have encountered also.

As far as "COMBO 1", I also have found that the "DScaler MPEG-2 Video Decoder" you mentioned does not work with the MPEG2 Demultiplexer in any mode except Live stream mode where seeking is not required. This is a disadvantage for me as far as trying to use it in ZP. :woot:

As far as "COMBO 2", I'm not sure that the "Gabest Universal Open Source MPEG Splitter v1.0.0.3" is a video decoder. AFAIK it is a Source and or Splitter that can output audio/video ES streams to decoders. I have found this to be able to play almost any .ts file although it does fail to work if you have multiple streams in the file and is very prone to getting the video/audio out of sync which can be rather annoying.

As far as "COMBO 3", I must say that I have not come accross the "Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec" decoder before. Do you have a link? I notice that you mention your audio has sharp clicks or screeches but you have not indicated which audio decoder you used. Is it possible you think that the audio decoder may have an issue with the .ts file sample?

As far as "COMBO 4", I think that the "GPL MPEG-12 DirectShow Decoder" is unable to display 1080i HD so for me it does present problems with my HD files. :kudo:

As far as "COMBO 5", I think that this was a good solution to playing .ts files before the Smart Push Source filters were developed.

As far as your working combo, "Haali Media Splitter" sound s good, I would be interested though to know how it performs on multiple program TS files as well as how it behaves with recovery from stream glitches which are a normal part of TS captures nowdays.

Anyway hope this helps others along too.

#3 Dingle

Dingle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

hey bear7 your right ...GPL MPEG-12 DirectShow Decoder cant do my high rez captures (it just shrinks the video to i.e 720x... instead of 1900x....) what MPEG-2 Video Decoder do you recommend? (NOT DScaler of course :woot:)

what exact COMBO do you use?

also, here is the link to stinky....http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec.htm

im 100% sure that it was the Splitter/Demultiplexer - HDTV Pump that was the reason for the audio clicks/screeches because i changed the audio codec many times ...every time the screeches remained. But when i changed the Splitter/Demultiplexer to Haali Media Splitter there were no audio problems

oops.. in combo 2 i meant Gabest Universal Open Source MPEG Video Decoder v1.0.0.3

#4 Dingle

Dingle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:14 PM

LATEST UPDATE: I Just tried

2)MPEG-2 Video Decoder - DScaler MPEG Filters 5.0.0.8

Apart from a few image anomilies (some of my .ts files have little flashy blips at the bottom of the video frame) there is nothing major to worry about ....all seems to be working fine

so in conclusion.. DScaler is all good if i use Haali Media Splitter (i have changed my first post accordingly)

#5 bear7

bear7

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:49 PM

hey bear7 your right ...GPL MPEG-12 DirectShow Decoder cant do my high rez captures (it just shrinks the video to i.e 720x... instead of 1900x....)

The version I have fails to display at all.

what MPEG-2 Video Decoder do you recommend?

I'm keen to use Cyberlink PowerDVD7 for low CPU requirements but it does have issues with VRM9 & micro stutter, overlay works ok. Beware though it does tend to install the other components which don't work well in AU. Nvidia Purevideo is cool but I do get stutter on some HD Formats. Intervideo gives clean HD at the expense of high cpu usage, Elecard is almost the same and DNTVLive seems ok. No doubt the best decoder should be chosen relative to the brand of graphic card your using.

what exact COMBO do you use?

My preference is to use a source filter similar to HDTVPump(TSFileSource) and the MS Demultiplexer. I think one would need to understand that there are a variety of different types of TS files that about that are derived from a variety of source types. My own captures are sourced from DVBT (Digital Terestial) cards so I have a need for something that is robust in being able to play these with the minimum of visual/aural disruption when I get stream glitches from time to time. i.e. reliable lipsync as well as no anoying picture blocking or audio crackles & pops etc, this is because I prefer to just watch them when I can rather than demux them for conversion to DVD or another format.
I do know that this is not the best combo for all types of TS files since the MS Demux is particular about what it will play so if I feel that I need to play a file that doesn't play well with this combo then I just rename it to ".mpg" and let the Open Source Splitter handle the file although it sounds like the "Haali Media Splitter" looks as a good move for these files.

also, here is the link to stinky....http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Stinky_MPEG_2_Codec.htm

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

im 100% sure that it was the Splitter/Demultiplexer - HDTV Pump that was the reason for the audio clicks/screeches because i changed the audio codec many times ...every time the screeches remained. But when i changed the Splitter/Demultiplexer to Haali Media Splitter there were no audio problems

It's possible if HDTVPump had detected the wrong audio type, just be aware that not all conversion software is perfect so it may have been a invalid stream type thats been originaly specified in the TS Program Information Tables. There are a number of audio decoders about, I prefer ones that can be hot switched between different audio formats without needing a restart of the application. AC3Filter seems ok, so does Nvidia, DNTVLive, elecard, intervideo, ffshow.