8 replies to this topic

#1 Maxwel

Maxwel

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 10:13 PM

I'm trying the Nvidia Purevideo decoder. If I use the Nvidia audio decoder, I can't get any volume, no matter what settings I try. Any hints? This of course with ZP in Customized mode.

#2 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:43 AM

This is DVD Playback? If the output is S/PDIF, audio control won't work as the data is sent digitially untouched to be decoded by your receiver.

#3 mikeyjames

mikeyjames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

I'm trying the Nvidia Purevideo decoder.  If I use the Nvidia audio decoder, I can't get any volume, no matter what settings I try.  Any hints?  This of course with ZP in Customized mode.

Hi,
I had exactly the same problem. Windows Media Player was using Nvidia's video and audio codecs without a problem. I installed Zoom Player trial and couldn't get (surround) sound no matter what I tried. Eventually I just gave up. Problem was that when I unistalled Zoom Player the Nvidia audio no longer worked in WMP either.

I reinstalled Purevideo and then thought I'd have one last go at Zoom Player. This time I pretty much left Zoom to basic settings to start with & the sound is working fine on both it and WMP now.

Funny thing is I went to Nvidia's site to check if there was any known issues listed in supports docs - they pretty much state that the audio part of purevideo does not work with anything other than WMP. Lucky I didn't read that before I had my final shot at it.

Mick

#4 Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

The problem is down to licencing. The video decoder works fine, but dolby have put their footdown and forced NVIDIA to only support Windows Media Player, Media Center and other authorised applications.

What applications does this product work with?
The NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder contains a video decoder and an audio decoder that are compatible with many third party applications.<snip> The audio decoder is only compatible with Windows Media Player 9 or higher and Windows Media Center for DVD playback. It will not work with any other application at this time due to requirements from third-party technologies which NVIDIA is actively working to fix. However, you can still configure the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder to use S/PDIF mode with any third-party application and output audio to an external decoder.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/decoder_faq.html

#5 Maxwel

Maxwel

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:46 AM

This is DVD Playback?  If the output is S/PDIF, audio control won't work as the data is sent digitially untouched to be decoded by your receiver.

Not this machine. I simply have headphones attached to the lineout.

I uninstalled Purevideo and installed dScalar.

#6 lanfear

lanfear

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:00 AM

The problem is down to licencing. The video decoder works fine, but dolby have put their footdown and forced NVIDIA to only support Windows Media Player, Media Center and other authorised applications.

What applications does this product work with?
The NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder contains a video decoder and an audio decoder that are compatible with many third party applications.<snip> The audio decoder is only compatible with Windows Media Player 9 or higher and Windows Media Center for DVD playback. It will not work with any other application at this time due to requirements from third-party technologies which NVIDIA is actively working to fix. However, you can still configure the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder to use S/PDIF mode with any third-party application and output audio to an external decoder.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/decoder_faq.html

Sorry to revisit an old thread, but I wish I'd seen this earlier! Is this still true?

When I play DVDs in ZP, both nVidia video & audio codecs are used, but I can't for my life get nVidia's audio decoder to get used together with another video codec (CoreAVC)... Is this why?

#7 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:09 AM

If you do get audio at all using the nvidia audio decoder, it means they stopped with this practice. However, I haven't heard of them disabling support if the other filter in the pair is not in use. Perhaps it's something new, can't say for sure.

#8 creopard

creopard

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

add this to your registry in order to (probably) fix your problem

#9 Gkar

Gkar

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:20 AM

I had the same issue with media files other than DVD. As a last resort I installed an older file -AC3XForm- which appears to work.
Could this cause any other sound issues? I haven't discovered any problems (relating to sound, anyway).