• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Radiophile

Radiophile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:31 AM

I read the help entry on this, and searched past posts here, so I know this problem crops up from time to time.

I can't play a particular DVD ("Titus") in ZP; I get this error. I watched the first half of this rental movie yesterday without a problem. Now today I can't continue. I've made absolutely no changes to my PC since yesterday.

I'm doubly certain there have been no PC changes for this reason: I regularly make drive images as backups. Just now I restored last week's C: image, which should take me back to last Tuesday, when all was fine and this problem was blissfully unknown to me. Upon booting with last week's image, I run ZP -- no good, same error! This DVD plays fine in PowerDVD. What gives?

John

#2 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

You didn't by chance change your video decoder to dscaler 0.0.5? If so, install 0.0.6

Also, try erasing the DVD Bookmark directory under the ZP directory, see if that makes a difference.

#3 Radiophile

Radiophile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:20 AM

No, my decoder is (and has been for weeks) nVidia 1.00.67. But, speaking of Dscaler, when I used to use 0.0.5, I did de-CSS'ing with DVD43Free. I thought for sure that if I reinstalled DVD43Free it would eliminate this problem. But, it didn't! The DVD43Free shows the green smiley in my system tray, indicating, I believe, that it recognizes and is ready to successfully de-CSS the DVD in the drive. But when I try to play Titus in ZP, now instead of getting the error message, it just plays about one second of video, then stops and returns to the ZP idle screen (the ZP logo).

I don't think there can be a problem with my bookmark directory, because remember I restored last week's image. Any problem in that directory (or anywhere else for that matter) would have been wiped away by the restore. But, I tried your suggestion anyway and deleted the whole directory (didn't need those other bookmarks anyway!). And...

This is very strange... It fixed the problem; I can now play the DVD. But the video playback is very choppy, with lots of audio decoding errors (bursts of noise) too. Now, I just closed ZP and restarted. Playback is now OK. Well, what's going on? Perhaps this DVD is just defective in some way. (Yet it plays fine in PowerDVD.)

#4 Radiophile

Radiophile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:36 AM

I'm resurrecting this old thread of mine because this problem persists. Once every month or week or so, I get this error when trying to play any random DVD I happen to choose. To fix it, thanks to your previous advice Blight, I know I have to do two things: (1) delete my Bookmarks directory and (2) reboot. It seems that just doing one of these things doesn't help.

Whenever I've tried it, the problem DVD will, right then while I'm getting the error message in ZP, play fine in PowerDVD XP 4.0.

This problem is an annoyance. I'd like to if possible engage you again Blight to try to find the cause of this issue. Thanks.

(Troubeshooting info: I have XP SP2 and Direct X 9.0c; As far as I know I have no packet writing software installed. I use Nero and I specificaly chose to omit the packet writing component from when I installed it; I use the Nvidia 1.02.145 DVD decoder. I used to use v1.00.67 with the same problem; PowerDVD XP 4.0 never has this difficulty; Deleting Bookmarks and rebooting fixes it every time, that is, until it happens on another DVD at some random future date.)

#5 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 12:16 PM

you're not running a dvd-related program in the background, such as AnyDVD/DVD Idle/etc... they may cause this problem... but, they may also cure it under some conditions.

#6 Radiophile

Radiophile

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

I'm not running AnyDVD or DVDIdle.

Back in March when I first encountered this problem I tried the similar DVD43Free program, thinking it would fix the problem since it handles the DVD decrypting itself. To my surprise it did not fix the problem. In any case, I'm not using it now.

#7 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

Not really sure what to tell you beyond this...

#8 xanvil

xanvil

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

This is a very old thread, but it is still alive on my computer.

I just upgraded my XP system to an abit p35 motherboard and a MSI 8600gts graphics card and I updated windows including DirectX to 9.0. Now I am unable to watch a dvd on my system using ZP4.51 or ZP5.00Pro. WinDvd does play the movie however. ZP also plays the advertisements, just not the film.

When the film tries to start, all I get is "Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed." There is nothing listed when rightclicking on the DVD drive other than ZoomPlayer, Search, Open, Explore, AutoPlay, System Information.

I hope this is not the ugly head of the DRM ready graphics card permanently exiling ZP which has served me well for many, many years.

michael

#9 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

This error might happen if you use the wrong DVD decoder and sometimes when you a DVD background application running (like DVD Region Free or AnyDVD).

Try using the DScaler DVD video decoder and close any running background applications and see if this issue disappears.

#10 xanvil

xanvil

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:08 AM

First, thanks for replying!

I have tried every decoder listed (WinDVD, Cinemaster, DScaler (no CSS)), not sure how to try others such as Haali, and even tried Windows Media Player:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Tried installing an updated driver for your video card."

Updated to most recent nVidia drivers (WHQL certified), no luck.

Tried uninstalling Sonic 2.5 decoders and reinstalling (no luck, the decoders install but I never get a request for "unlock code," now I don't have Cinemaster decoders available ... will try Sonic support for that tomorrow. Trying to find old install disk for nDvd, but haven't found it yet.

Frustrating! I spent so much time many years ago getting a good working player. It shouldn't be the case that you pay these people so much to use their "improved" products and they destroy the old working systems! End of rant.

michael

#11 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 03:22 AM

It's possible that the problem is with the graphic card drivers and your monitor.

I think I read somewhere that if you use a digital monitor with a very high resolution it may cause this glitch.

ZP uses an interface that is similar to what WMPlayer uses, so the problem seems global to your system. Try downgrading the nvidia drivers to 84.xx and see if it helps.

#12 xanvil

xanvil

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

Unfortunately, trying to return to earlier drivers fails with a message that the graphics card is incompatible with these drivers.

I did download a trial copy of Pdvd 7 which runs fine and the decoder registers in ZP. However, regardless of the accompanying filters the message "Key exchange for DVD copy protection failed" remains the end result!!

Windows Media Player also refuses to run a dvd as before with the copy protection message, but I do not know how to force a filter choice on WMP so this is probably not meaningful.

??!!?

michael

#13 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:44 PM

The only way i can think of debugging this is by exchanging the graphic card with a different brand or an older card to see if it still suffers from this. Another option is to connect your monitor through the VGA input rather than DVI. Either one would explain a graphic driver issue if the problem gets resolved.

Another option is to try the clean-start procedure as it is outlayed in the media setup guide (link below).

#14 xanvil

xanvil

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

The current MSI 8600gts card has two dvi connectors and came with dvi-15pin adaptors for connecting older monitors. Since my monitor is an old Iiyama Vision Master 450, there is no direct dvi to dvi monitor connection possible.

I have a second hard disk onto which I had thought I would try a fresh install if I cannot resolve this any other way.

Would not the presence of WinDvd 4 decoders and the PowerDvd 7 decoders (trial copy) mean that ZP should be able to run on my system? I fouled up the Sonic decoders after the copy protection problem surfaced when I uninstalled them because Windows Media Player suggested that I do so.

Sonic does not automatically renew activation of the Sonic decoders if they are uninstalled. Unfortunately, Roxio requires you know your log in information to contact them other than by phone, and they require $35 per contact for Sonic questions on the phone. Cheaper to buy new decoders but I have no need for more decoders if ZP won't run on my system for some other reason.

michael

#15 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:11 PM

First things first, if you can't get the DScaler decoders working on some level, dont bother with new decoders quite yet.

WinDVD/PowerDVD provide external decoders, but in most cases, they wont use them themselves and instead use some internal non-directshow code. So WinDVD/PowerDVD working is not a good global indication that something should work.

The fact that WMPlayer doesn't work means that the problem is system-wide and not specific to ZP.

#16 xanvil

xanvil

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Since Microsoft should be keen to have WMP work, maybe they would be responsive to the problem? But to attack the Windows Media Player aspect of the problem, does WMP require decoders other than the dScaler ones? It does mention decoders in its recent error message.

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Tried installing an updated driver for your video card."

michael

#17 xanvil

xanvil

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:46 AM

Question resolved.

The problems all originated with a new disk identification setup in the operating system of this ip35 chipset for the new Abit board. Simply put, my toshiba dvd drive was so old it was not recognized by the system as operating in accordance with current standards.

I replaced the drive and WMP and ZP returned to functioning without error messages, although I have not been able to recover a trouble free system yet. I have strange colors under ffdshow using overlay, although vmr9 seems to work relatively well once I set the refresh rate to 72hz. I've not taken on trying to optimize for my new projector just yet.

Right now the sound is awful (down a well sound) however I choose among the available options. Might be the Realtek HD Audio onboard sound system but neither WMP or pDvd seem to have problems with it. I have tried all the available filter and renderers but it will take more experimentation I guess.

Thanks again for trying to help.

michael

#18 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:37 AM

For the sound issues, it really depends on your sound setup.

If you're outputting to SP/DIF (digital out) you need to enable that in the audio decoders or possibly even in your audio drivers (for non AC3/DTS audio).

VMR9 or Haali is better than Overlay (quality wise).