Vodei???

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_invisiblepoopkiller_*

Guest_invisiblepoopkiller_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:13 AM

i didn't know quite where to post this so i posted it here.

has anyone heard of vodei?, i don't know if its a codec or something
but i have a video that only allows it to watch it on Vodei... I have no
clue where to get it so if anyone could help me out...

thanks

#2 Guest_tsadi_*

Guest_tsadi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:15 PM

i was searching google for info re vodei too and the only useful result it gave me pointed to this thread.

here's yet another post (search result courtesy of msn search) from someone looking for vodei info:
http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200659

... seems like there's quite a lot of us already wodering what this "vodei" really is.

#3 johnnawrocki

johnnawrocki

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

If French fluent try: http://vodei.net/

#4 johnnawrocki

johnnawrocki

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:17 PM

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Free language translator site. There is a url translator but I couldn't get it to work.
copy and past works OK.

#5 lebowski

lebowski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 12:54 AM

FYI, the site vodei.net has nothing to do with vodei.com (home of the codec).

In this blog post, which seems to stem from the creator of vodei.net, the author states that there is no connection between his "VODEI video on demand" (vodei.net) project and "vodei multimedia processor" (vodei.com).

As has been said in this post: http://forum.inmatrix.com/index.php?showtopic=2243, vodei mp seems to be nothing more than some kind of wrapper codec (excuse my poor terminology); the movie video/audio in one example is simply encoded with mp3 / xvid.

Remains the question, what exactly is the purpose of vodei mp?

#6 lebowski

lebowski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 01:06 AM

Follow up:

Since I question the legality of a downloaded movie in question, has anyone ever thought the VODEI codec might be a means used by the movie industry to track distribution of screeners and the like?

What puzzles me is the complete lack of explanation on vodei.com about the actual purpose of the codec.

From www.vodei.com:

Here you may download the software required to playback multimedia content that has been encoded using the Vodei encoder.

Vodei MP is in the final stages of beta testing and is available as a completely free download by following this link

The domain vodei.com appears to be registered to a company called S.V.R. Consulting Ltd., domiciled in Ontario Canada. Google yields no further information about this company.

#7 Guest_mosey_*

Guest_mosey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:21 PM

I didn't like the smell of this thing either and spent a while on it. GSpot said my file used the MRLE codec which is a standard video codec that comes with windows, but others on other forums have said they have gotten vodei files that were encoded with XviD, so I decided to go with the assumption that vodei is not a full-fledged codec, but rather a wrapper for existing codecs. (For what purpose nobody knows.) I was hoping I could find a program that would find the RLE stream somewhere in the file and just play it, but had no luck.

I've found out a few things that a worth adding to the speculation though, which i'll share here cause it's number 1 in google for vodei ^_^

In reading vodei.com's FAQ and other forums, I learned that this "encoder" requires your computer's date be set correctly to play back videos. This made me suspicious instantly, as videos decode the same no matter what day it is, even on leap-years :-). It fed the MPAA tracker hypothesis pretty well. Once you download and install the thing, they say it is on the pretense that they want to force their users to download the final version when it comes out and stop using the betas they say they are in now. Their betas will all become disabled on March 15th 2005. They promise to have a new version for download by then. Believe them or don't, it's up to you.

The website's FAQ vigorously denies that their software opens network connections, that there is any spyware, adware, viruses etc in it. They are so preoccupied with this point that it was suspicious in and of itself. So I set a system up on a network monitor (software based, but Symantec's, it's probably reliable.) I can say with 99.9% certaintly that this thing really isn't connecting to vodei.com or anything else - both a log of programs requesting network connections and a simple report of all TCP/IP connections opened from my system showed nothing I didn't recognize.

As long as it's not communicating with it's mysterious authors, it can have all the fun it wants on my one computer as far as I'm concerned. But, a little bit of real information from vodei, like why are they creating a free yet not open source video encoder, and an overview of how it interacts with the rest of the software that is involved in playing video, would surely make me feel a bit more secure.

#8 Guest_Ux6_*

Guest_Ux6_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:08 PM

Well I was having problems installing the application to view a movie file that was encoded with it.

it kept giving me an error upon installation.

Anyhoo I contacted there support and all seemed well until i got the following response :

We would like to take a look at your computer to find and fix the cause of the problem you are having.

The easiest and most secure way for this to be done is for you to download and run this application: http://www.vodei.com/support/remote-view.exe
This application will enable us, only with your permission, to view your screen as well as control your keyboard and mouse.
Once we are done, the remote control application will be removed from your computer (or you can remove it yourself using this, http://www.twd-industries.com/archives/uninstall_slave.zip).

Please let us know once remote-view.exe has been activated so a mutually convenient time can be arranged.

Mark
Vodei Support Team

Now I don't know about you guys but that sounds suspicious to me =/

#9 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:09 AM

I would say... leave it alone.

#10 Pensive

Pensive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

I have installed this wrapper with no ill effects - its playing a Divx/mp3 movie without issues too.

However I am not happy with using it - since i can see no reason to.

I am going to extact the streams with virtualdub (which uses directshow) and write a guide on it. If anyone would care to give it a go themselves as well then we'll have a more versatile solution, but watch this space.

In short - its useless crap - which will one day be FULL of adverts - imagine - half your collection, protected by outdated wrapper - you update the wrapper and it suddenly asks for payment........

#11 VodeiMark

VodeiMark

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Since I have been mentioned here, I’m going to post to alleviate the confusion and misconceptions in this thread.

As has already been mentioned and verified, Vodei MP is not scamware. It does not contain spyware; it does not contain adware; it does not connect to the Internet; it does not damage your computer; it does not eat your children.

Using remote control software is a completely standard and perfectly acceptable and safe way to assist users with software problems. The software we use, Remote-Anything by TWD Industries, is very secure, gives the computer owner complete control and is very easy to uninstall. There is nothing suspicious about us wanting to help you.

Vodei is not a codec; we never claimed that it is. Vodei is a Multimedia Processor, like the name implies. It is more of a container than a wrapper. The FAQ states what it does, but in case you missed it: “Vodei makes possible … the faster transmission of multimedia files over file distribution networks.” An advanced innovative algorithm is used to optimize the file content, which results in faster download speeds, as many of you have probably noticed.

Unfortunately I am unable to elaborate further on how it does what it does due to patents being processed.

If you wish to contact me directly, you may email mark@vodei

#12 EasyMark

EasyMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:34 AM

The ambiguous reply by “Mark of Vodei” still leaves, in my mind, the purpose and intent of Vodei completely open. In the first place, it DOES force you to CONNECT by virtue of the fact that you have to go and get the software... they can easily track you from their site as you do so... as anyone who has ever created a .com would know....

Secondly, the lame explanation that this software enables “faster downloads” is nonsense, as I spent over 26 hours downloading a 700 mg. file which normally would have taken me from 8 to 12 hours had it been a plain old .avi... we are talking bit torrents here.

Thirdly, never have I had a request for someone to “remote connect” to my PC, and I refuse to accept that this is “standard” procedure in any support capacity.

Lastly, having spent 26 hours downloading this file, I was extremely upset by the fact that I had to connect to someone’s URL just to get it to play... that was very manipulative. And then, be forced to install unknown and questionable software? In the future, I will avoid files that use this “Vodei”, whatever the hell it is, and whatever their purpose may be.

(And yes, I restored my entire system via DOS-Image Restore following this experience)

#13 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

This does sound fishy to me as well... There is no way to make a faster go faster besides using better compression (smaller files), or smarter routing (ala BitTorrent).

If you've downloaded this file via BitTorrent than Vodei had nothing to do with the transfer of the file.

AVI isn't really the best medium for video transfer over the net. Neither is BitTorrent.

Reasons:
BitTorrent doesn't download parts of the video in a sequence which makes the video viewable as you download (you can sometimes see a small part of the video, but since the part ordering works by "rarest part" instead of "sequential rarest part", this isn't optimal.

AVI isn't optimal because you need both the start and the end of the file to start playback. eMule is usually better at this as it has an option to grab those parts first if it can (sadly, it's not always optional at this either).

But since Vodei doesn't seem to be related to either of this, I don't see what magical algorythms would make it faster.

#14 Pensive

Pensive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:14 AM

VodeiMark

I am an IT administrator, a highly experienced coder, and i used to work for a video editing company.

Your response was nothing short of laughable.

MPEG4 is compressed in such a way that there are virtually no repeating data streams left in it. Thats why they dont zip. IT means you have to send every bit of data.

I can think of only one way to store and tranfer data in a more compact manner - remove the check bits, and the parity info (a-la SVCD format - RAW). They are there for a reason. It stops you from downloading corrupt files. Perhaps one could skip them when the file is being transferred through a torrent client - since it has hashes anyway for its own packet transfer - but it would also mean enormous amounts of wasted packets being discarded. Internet bloating.

All this "multimedia processor" really does is encrypt AVI files. No doubt the software will time out eventually, we will download the latest version to see all our movies and they need "authentification" or something - the real story begins to unfold. It might be licensing, it might be FAST knocking at the door - who knows........

even 1024 bit encryption can be broken at the weak point - take heart, people in the skills of our planets hackers. I'm sure a solution will emerge in that kind of situation.

The beauty is - i have TV out and a DVD recorder! hahahahahahaha

#15 EasyMark

EasyMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:59 AM

Well, I guess we can all laugh and agree that the key word here to Vodei is "control", be it encryption, wrapper, container, or whatever... and however it is downloaded.

I am certainly no IT expert, that's for sure... but I did learn some things from reading this, and I thank you all for that. I guess in the end, none of us like to be deceived or manipulated and we are wary, via our "Cyberspace Nature", ha ha...

In defense of Vodei, I have to say that I did not find any abnormalities with Spybot, AdAware, Norton, or otherwise... no tracking cookies or anything like that, and it worked just fine. But I will remain suspicious and avoid it anyway, as I dislike stuff that limits access... and I expect that yes, sooner or later they will want payment if they survive.

Some things never change, eh?

#16 Pensive

Pensive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:39 PM

I agree - Im no IT expert either - despite the first line of my last post - I am not an expert..... but they've either managed to find a way to compress mp3s and Divx even further losslessly (highly unlikely.......to understate) or there is no reason for it whatsoever.

Avoid at all costs people.........

#17 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

Pensive:
MPEG4 files (xvid/divx) don't have any error correction codes inside as they are not meant to be written in RAW data mode.

Heck, SVCD files don't have any correction code, the premise of this is that mpeg2 is decent at handling errors (they show up as corrupted macroblocks) and the gain in the disk space is more important than the occasional defective macroblock.

You can make mpeg4 files smaller (and quite quickly) by using a Transcoder and increasing the quantization. Of course, it will make the video look worse.

#18 VodeiMark

VodeiMark

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:42 AM

Every time there is a technological innovation, the masses always shout “it’s impossible; it cannot be done,” be it the airplane or the electric light bulb.

A few of you keep saying “it’s impossible,” but you must remember that if you don’t know how to do it , it does not mean that it cannot be done.

#19 EasyMark

EasyMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

What exactly is "it", oh mystery man VodeiMark? Why the sweeping generalizations and county wisdom? I don't need to be a farmer to recognize a cow...

Welcome to the humble "masses" who just want to know "why?"

It is motive that is under fire here, not method... and the water gets deeper the further you go out from shore... in the words of Bill Cosby, "How long can you tread water?"

The last great "innovation" of this sort was Microsoft's DRM Rules... and we all know the results of that... but at least we know why.

Hail to the Secret Cow Level, Hackers, Crackers, and free-thinkers alike.

Moooo.

#20 DeeK

DeeK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:42 AM

I guess we can all lay assumptions aside now that the new version of Vodei requires what? Oh yes, registration. Registration will ofcourse only be allowed after you've made a small payment with your credit card, and is done via pc ID. So forget the one size fits all. I believe I would prefer normal size movies without the "technical innovation" which is Vodei and the scam packaged inside.

http://vodei.com/register/ Such a service they are providing to everyone, who never really had a problem before..

Quote from main Vodei page

Vodei MP is available as a completely free download by following this link:  Download Vodei Multimedia Processor. Our software is adware, spyware, and virus free. After downloading, double click VodeiSetup109.exe to begin the quick and easy installation process.

Quote from Vodei registration page (after "trial" expires)

Vodei Multimedia Processor Registration - Billing Information
Registration is a $24.95 one time fee

So how many idiots have you suckered into paying for your unnessecary and unwanted wrapper that does nothing more than cause people undue grief in a cheap attempt to line your pockets?