#1 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hi everyone,

Zoom Player v10.0 has now been released! You can download the FREE, PRO and MAX versions from the download link below. Please note that with the release of v10.0, PRO has been withdrawn from sale, and as such, the PRO download will only be of use to existing PRO users. Going forwards, there will only be two versions of Zoom Player: MAX/Steam Edition, and FREE.

Notes for Existing Zoom Player Users:

For anyone who used Zoom prior to v10.0, please be aware of two things before you install v10.0.

1. Firstly, there is a new option in the Zoom Player installer that you should be aware of. The option is called 'Install Codec Pack' and it is enabled by default. In this case, 'Codec Pack' refers to LAV and DC-BASS. In short, if you have that option selected, at the end of the installation both LAV and DC-BASS will be installed. You shouldn't need an active internet connection for this - installers for both LAV and DC-BASS are actually included in the Zoom installer now. The new option is intended for people who don't know much about video playback. The idea is that if they download and install Zoom, even if they don't then run Install Center, they should have enough components installed to take care of most media file playback (assuming they don't de-select that option in the installer).

2. Secondly - and more importantly - there have been licencing changes to Zoom Player with the v10.0 release. Upon installation and first use, you will see a message about how long you have been a licenced user. That dialog is part of the licencing changes - bLight details the new licencing arrangements here.

Changelog:
http://inmatrix.com/..._whatsnew.shtml (What's New in v10.0)
http://inmatrix.com/...w_archive.shtml (What's New Archive - Pre-v10.0)

Download:
http://inmatrix.com/..._download.shtml

Updated Language Files: http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=14518

Release Highlights:

• In version 10 we made great strides in making Zoom Player's fullscreen user interface and user experience much more accessible and intuitive.
  • But that's not all, a new pre-configuration wizard lets you automatically configure Zoom Player based on the device used, be it a regular desktop PC, a Home Theater PC or a Tablet/Touch device.
  • New fullscreen navigation interfaces can be used in v10 to easily configure the media library without having to exit fullscreen mode and switch between Audio and Subtitle streams with ease.
  • New "Hot Corners" usability feature that easily accesses dialogs or additional functionality with the mouse or touch input.
  • New support for custom functionality assigned to the 4th and 5th mouse buttons.
  • New patterns for the customizable fullscreen navigation interface, including visually enhanced default patterns.
  • Better 4K video playback using madVR and a large frame buffer.
  • In v10, load time was improved, especially when running an initial configuration.

======================================================================

Stable Release History (v9.0+):

Changelog for the current stable version can be found in the "Whats New" link above, while changelogs for the previous stable versions can be found in the "What's New Archive" link above.

April 9, 2014: v9.0.0
April 17, 2014: v9.0.1
April 28, 2014: v9.0.2
June 30, 2014: v9.1
July 28, 2014: v9.2
September 2, 2014: v9.3
September 18, 2014: v9.4
September 29, 2014: v9.4.1
November 3, 2014: v9.5.0
February 19, 2015: v10.0

Regards,

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 05 March 2015 - 11:01 AM.
FREE Released

#2 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

2. Secondly - and more importantly - there have been licencing changes to Zoom Player with the v10.0 release. Upon installation and first use, you will see a message about how long you have been a licenced user. That dialog is part of the licencing changes. bLight details the new licencing arrangements here.

Still interested what this exactly means for current license holders:

Are current license holders allowed to use 10.0 and only have to pay for future versions or have they to downgrade to 9.5?

BTW. the only thing that this dialog prompted me to do is: To check all current Freeware Media Players (much more and better then back when i bought Zoomplayer about 8 years ago) again, which I hadn't done for years and I already found a good Freeware alternative in case the current Zoomplayer would miss a feature in the future. And I would guess that many current license holders will do something similar and look at free alternatives.

#3 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

Prinz: In short, v10.0 will continue working for existing licence holders (with the single time only pop-up dialog that you refer to). However, the next version may be a different matter (eg v11.0 may require a new licence). I specifically asked bLight about v10.0 and v11.0 and he answered on that basis, so I am only assuming it will apply to the entire 10.x series (ie point releases as well) - so if I am wrong about the point releases, it is my mistake and not his (I should have phrased the question better and used '10.x stream' instead of '10.0').

ehat

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:42 AM

The v10.0 download contains some outdated language files. Please see the following thread by Godwin:

http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=14518

ehat

#5 Rago

Rago

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

I would like to express my gratitude for releasing version 10 of the best media player on the market. I use it everyday and enjoy it very much.

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:49 AM

Thanks Rago, I have passed that onto bLight :)

ehat

#7 Ticholo

Ticholo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 03:09 PM

I just updated to ZP10 Pro (was surprised to not find a Pro download right away, which led me here).

First things first, and so you know where I'm at, the splash screen for the license told me mine is 10.5 years old. I've enjoyed using ZP a bit longer than that (old free versions). At the time I bought it, I believe the decisive factor was the fullscreen navigation, which I've made ample use of in various settings over the years (HTPC, desktop, recently tablet).

I'm also accustomed to, but greatly appreciate, the level of detail of ZP's options. Particularly the codec and filter management is awesome.

I've no intention of giving up on using ZP. I've often considered buying a MAX Edition Upgrade or in full just because I'd never had to pay any more for it while I received every version. I was actually thinking of doing so for ZP10 if MAX was the only one with tablet specific GUI enhancements. I'd probably end up buying the Steam version for the added XInput support (and also because I might take advantage of a sale), but that’s now moot, as I can see they’re basically the same now.

All this to say that, though I understand the why for the licencing changes, my inner petulant child screams and kicks as it rolls on the floor at paying close to €40 for 1 year of support (maybe it will just scream at paying Steam discount prices :)). I’d sooner justify the math for the lifetime price, though it’s a lot to spend in one go.

In order to soothe my inner brat, I’d like to ask a few questions:

For my ZP Pro licence, is this it? No more updates for me?

How do the updates apply to the Steam version? Same 1 year period? If so, will there be a lifetime option?

Is the current pricing structure one that might be soon amended/changed? Say with a discounted MAX upgrade for us Pro(letariats) ;) .

I know I’m not alone in having reserves about this change, but I realise we sound like we’re throwing a tantrum (especially when I never gave you a cent more in 10+ years).

I’m incredibly thankful for the support and updates so far, and can’t see myself changing media players, though I guess I will, if I “must”. (An unsubtle bit of blackmail on my part, there.)

This is already unwieldy, but I’ll just add that, in my case specifically, if I never buy anything from you again, I know I have no basis for complaining on any level, and you’re basically better off without leeches like me! :lol:

#8 SimonP

SimonP

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

This, and several other similar posts, echo my feelings well, especially the question of what support will be available for the Pro version.

I'm sure it's been carefully thought through but might I suggest that charging per major version, rather than per year, would encourage more people to subscribe? They seem to come out every couple of years so less potential income but probably more in the long term as it would be more in line with most of the other software we buy.

I too have often wondered about upgrading to Max but there's just nothing there that I need. If the Pro version was continued with a lesser charge being made just for major versions I, and I suspect many others, would feel much more inclined to hand over our cash to support the devs, even if it didn't offer anything new that we needed.

To put it bluntly, I don't want or need Max so it's really hard for me to justify paying for it.

#9 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

Ticholo:
Steam will probably require an upgrade in v11 and we'll hand free keys to people who've purchased it in the proceeding year.

I'm not sure how to do the lifetime version in steam, it has a different infrastructure, but it's something we'll investigate in v11.

v10 was the last PRO version and has not been for sale for over a while now.

With regards to the 1 year, it's not 1 year of support, it's 1 year of free upgrades.

SimonP:
It's one year rather than linked to a specific version as we release several major versions a year and there is also a technical aspect behind the decision, doing it on a per-version basis would require too much tracking and we don't have the personal for this.

Everyone:
We're trying to figure the best approach to give you the best value for your money without going bankrupt (and we had a few times were this was close).

Please support Zoom Player by buying a license so we can continue and add cool features.

SimonP

#10 Ticholo

Ticholo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply, bLight.

I'll wait and see, I think. I'm keen on that MAX/Steam upgrade for the configurable gesture stuff on tablets, so I'd probably do it anyway. But right now I think I'll wait for the dust to settle.

I was also interested in what approach you were thinking about for Steam. I imagined the infrastructure wouldn't suit the new license model. The best I can come up with is to separate the versions, but unless you choose to stick to a 1 version per year thing, it quickly falls apart. One idea for the lifetime option could be a separate entry on Steam that is always updated. I have no idea what kind of overhead this means on your end (pushing releases to various Steam entries and such), so it might not be feasible.

#11 Ahlitah

Ahlitah

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:17 PM

shouldn't there be an option to upgrade to lifetime at a slight discount if you already bought a previous license?

Seen that with other programs, which helps with the sticker shock of the price!

Just a suggestion.

I know you guys need funds to stay afloat, just another suggestion that may help you get a few more purchases (me included!)

#12 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Ticholo:
I'm thinking we'll release it as a separate download and offer free activation code to anyone who bought ZP on steam less than a year from the new release.

Ahlitah:

We're working on implementing an upgrade option, there's some annoying logistics involved with the store and account verification.

:

#13 Ahlitah

Ahlitah

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

Sounds interesting bLight.

Be sure to make a post about it, when its finalized to let us all know!

#14 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone,

The FREE version has now also been released (first post updated).

ehat

#15 kitsura

kitsura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:51 PM

I previously had a Pro and later upgraded to the Max version just because of the free upgrades option. What is to stop you from coming up with a different licensing scheme in the near future (5-6 years)? Those who paid for a lifetime key now might need to buy another (2nd) lifetime key then.

#16 highstream

highstream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:39 AM

The link to the Pro version shows a features list that only includes Free, Giveaway and Max.  Which or where is the Pro version list?

Also the install of 10.0 Pro brings up the codecs screen, but nothing is highlighted to update. That occurred opening 9.5 as well yesterday and a couple of times some weeks ago.  Puzzling that a program indicates a codec update but doesn't show any.

#17 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

The link to the Pro version shows a features list that only includes Free, Giveaway and Max.  Which or where is the Pro version list?

It has been removed - some users complained that showing Pro on that chart now that Pro is no longer for sale was confusing.

Also the install of 10.0 Pro brings up the codecs screen, but nothing is highlighted to update. That occurred opening 9.5 as well yesterday and a couple of times some weeks ago.  Puzzling that a program indicates a codec update but doesn't show any.

For v10, you had the Install Center box ticked in the installer - it is meant to do that if you don't untick it (it's not indicating a codec update, it's opening because you asked it to). With v9.5, I am assuming you hadn't just installed it - you probably missed this in the v10 changelog:

- The "Check for updates" setting was broken and may have notified of new components on the install center even though they may have not been any.

ehat

#18 TheSweed

TheSweed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

So the license rules/EULA that is, or was, at the date of purchase is changed, so no more lifetime updates that was stated when I bought it, is now removed?

So why should I even believe that the new license is going to be more stable?

It should not be allowed to change EULA/license at all, or this will happened the license bought with lifetime updates become not lifetime but subscription-like type.

But this is what happens when in EULA there is a line saying that it can and will be changed with or without notice.

I would love to make deals and I could change the rules whenever I doesn't like something in the contract, but in the real life that is impossible, but not when it is software, the the end-user has no say at all and can be lied to when purchased a program in the EULA because it is NOT a contract that is not changeable, it can be totally rewritten after purchase so that the user doesn't have no right to use the software.

I could accept changes in privacy policy's, to make it better, or other things that does not make the major things like, free updates, disappear.

If now free lifetime free updates now is removed from the license, it can be changed again, and again.

I can accept the NEW licenses use the new license-type with annual payments, but the licenses before the change should use the old-type.

#19 highstream

highstream

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

For some years I've had several lifetime licenses with different programs and this is the first one that's reneged. I agree with the previous poster that the Pro lifetime license should be honored, or perhaps a nominal fee for updating to Max, i.e. to protect those who are really using ZP. There's a basic notion here: integrity is indivisible.

#20 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

kitsura:
ZP never had an official upgrade policy, never was it mentioned on the website or store that the license is a lifetime license.

Now that we have announced it, the new lifetime license will be for the lifetime of Zoom Player as a product.

TheSweed:
Like I wrote above, there was never a lifetime license up until v10, nor was it ever listed in the EULA.

We simply never had an official policy either way for over 10 years, but now the situation has become that if we don't ask people for upgrades, Zoom Player will cease to exist, so we had to take that step.

highstream:

See above.