Photo

Announcing Zoom Player v9.5.0 (Plus v10.0 RC3)

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#1 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

19 February 2015 - v10.0 has been released:

http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=14516

Please discuss v10.0 in the new thread.

Existing Zoom Player users:

Please be aware of two things before you install this new RC. Firstly, read the edit to the post here. It contains an important note about a change to the Zoom Player installer that you will probably not notice should you simply click through the installer without reading. Secondly - and more importantly - please read my response here to a question regarding a new dialog that will appear when you run this new RC for the first time after installing.

======================================================================

Hi everyone,

Zoom Player v9.5.0 has now been released! You can download the FREE, PRO and MAX versions from the download link below. This is the eighth version in bLight's intended micro release schedule, which I have mentioned previously. As such, the changes are only relatively small compared to the previous stable release.

Changelog:
http://inmatrix.com/..._whatsnew.shtml (What's New in v9.5.0)
http://inmatrix.com/...w_archive.shtml (What's New Archive - Pre-v9.5.0)

Download:
http://inmatrix.com/..._download.shtml

The Beta testing of the v8.70 series (which was renamed to v9.0 in the latter stages of the testing) was quite long (about 12 months), and a little bit arduous as well, which is unfortunate. However, thanks to the community for all the testing, bug reports and general feedback - and for sticking with it of course :)

Change Highlights (v9.5.0):
- Many fullscreen navigation interface touch enhancements targeted at tablet users.
- User-selected pattern background image for customizable fullscreen navigation interfaces.
- New control bar optional buttons.
- Integrated text viewer.
- NSV local-playback support.
- Bug fixes.

======================================================================

April 17, 2014.
Changelog (v9.0.1):
As per "What's New Archive" link at top of post.

April 28, 2014.
Changelog (v9.0.2):

June 30, 2014.
Changelog (v9.1):

July 28, 2014.
Changelog (v9.2):

September 2, 2014:
Changelog (v9.3):

September 18, 2014:
Changelog (v9.4):

September 29, 2014:
Changelog (v9.4.1):

November 3, 2014:
Changelog (v9.5.0):
As per "What's New" link at top of post.

Regards,

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 19 February 2015 - 04:57 AM.
v10.0 Released

#2 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Looks like the Changelog Link doesn't work. This one does: http://www.inmatrix...._whatsnew.shtml

#3 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:43 PM

Haha - Thanks Prinz, I shall change it. I simply copied the same link as bLight posted to FB. I usually test the links before I click 'post', but I didn't this time...

ehat

Edit: And, fixed!

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 09 April 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#4 bkm

bkm

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Quick question.. so is there a confirmed ZP 9 stay-on-top bug with current versions of mVR? I finally got my mVR and ZP 8.6.1 working well together and I honestly don't want to upgrade if I am now going to have new stay on top probs.... ;-)

#5 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Quick question.. so is there a confirmed ZP 9 stay-on-top bug with current versions of mVR? I finally got my mVR and ZP 8.6.1 working well together and I honestly don't want to upgrade if I am now going to have new stay on top probs.... ;-)

You mean the third-to-last post in the 8.70 Beta thread (by Bartman)? I have not seen any on top issues with my install since madshi fixed the single on top issue that I had on my system previously (which is the bug 30 on the madVR bug tracker that I linked to in the second-to-last post in that same thread, that was fixed back in June 2013 in whatever version of madVR was released around that time).

I can't guarantee you might not seen some sort of issue on your system of course - Bartman obviously has an issue on his system, but it seems to be madVR only and really needs to be reported to madshi - only that I don't see Bartman's issue on my system.

ehat

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Zoom Player v9.0 FREE has now been released as well!

ehat

#7 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi everyone,

So, what is planned for Zoom now that v9.0 has been released? Well, some of you may remember that I mentioned recently that bLight wanted to move to a micro release cycle post v9.0. That is still the intent. At this point in time, he wants to release 2 or 3 new versions a month, beginning with v9.0.1 next week.

Please keep in mind that this sort of cycle is both i. Ambitious, and ii. Something new for Zoom Player (at least that I recall anyway). That means that there is a chance that things may not necessarily go to plan (there could also be real life tm issues that bLight has to deal with from time to time that may have the same effect). However, that is the plan for the moment - and hey, everything starts with a plan! ^_^

Regards,

ehat

#8 Suzi

Suzi

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Hello ehat and all:

Zoom9 does not play any videos.

I get the error "6 is not a valid guid value"

Any solution would be appreciated.

Here is a screen shot:

http://www.freewebs....q/zoomerror.jpg

#9 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Hi Suzi,

The '6' part of the error is new, but the "{ is not a valid guid" error is one we have been trying to pin down for quite a while now (you're only about the 4th person to have reported it):

http://forum.inmatri...6109#entry55319

We've had no success in doing so unfortunately. Due to the difference in circumstances between each person reporting it (different file types affected etc), I think there may be a number of potential causes for it (I think you are the first to report that all file types are affected however, so that is something new). Having said that, let's start with these suggestions:

1. Can you please zip up your MediaAutoGraph folder (if you are on Windows Vista or later and have used the standard install option, you should find this folder in C:\ProgramData) and upload it somewhere please? I'd like to take a look at it and see if any of the Smart Play profiles are corrupted (which was one of the early theories on why this might be happening). Do this one before you try #3 below.

2. Go into Zoom's options and put a tick beside the following option:

Playback : Smart Play > Show Smart Play graph creation errors (useful for debugging)

Click Ok to return back to Zoom and play a video file - does another error appear on screen (in addition to the 'guid' error)? If so, either copy/paste the text here or screenshot it so I can take a look at it. Again, try this one before #3 below.

3. Try this. Ensure Zoom Player is closed, and run the Zoom Player installer again. Just choose the same options as you did the first time you installed it, and let Zoom Player install itself over the top of your current Zoom Player installation. Then, before you run Zoom Player again, open Install Center, ensure everything in there is installed and that there are no updates available. After that, close Install Center, and run Zoom Player. When the message about running Install Center appears, put a tick in the box that says 'do not ask me again' and then click the 'Cancel' button. After that, go into Zoom's options and navigate to Advanced Options-->Playback-->Smart Play. Click the 'Auto-Configure' button, click Ok to the resulting dialog box, and then click Ok to exit back to Zoom. Close Zoom and then re-open it. Now try playing some files.

4. Also, you don't happen to have a program by the name of 'Magix' installed do you? They make media editing software, such as Magix Movie Edit and such. Or any other type of video related software (playback, editing etc)?

As a general question, is there anything that you have noticed that may help us to narrow down what is causing this? Either way (if the above suggestions work, or don't work), let us know and we will go from there.

Regards,

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 16 April 2014 - 12:10 PM.
Re-ordered the list: #2 is now #3, #3 is now #2

#10 Suzi

Suzi

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Hello ehat:

1.  Here is the MediaAutoGraph:

http://www.freewebs....diaAutoGraph.7z

2.  I ticked "Smart Play > Show Smart Play graph creation errors (useful for debugging)".

But there was no other error displayed except the "GUID" thing.

3.  Did every thing you asked in #3 but no change

4.  I don't have 'Magix' installed .

What I have are: 

for playback: VLC and GOM

for editing: VirtualDub and Xillisoft

extra note: all versions prior 9, worked fine

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Hi Suzi,

It's a bit disturbing that enabling the 'graph creation error' option did not produce any additional errors. We think that something (another filter) is trying to insert itself into the playback, and theoretically, the only way it could do that would be if Zoom is not using Smart Play. If you have Smart Play enabled - and I forgot to ask you to check that - there should have been another error if the theory is correct. Ok:

1. Ensure that Playback : Smart Play > Enable Smart Play (Overrides the Windows Decoder / Filter selection) is ticked (enabled).

2. If you have Smart Play enabled - and it is likely that you do - try uninstalling Xillisoft and see if that corrects the problem (reboot after the uninstallation). Both VLC and GOM use their own codecs, they should have no effect on Zoom. VirtualDub does not install its own codecs either AFAIK, I think it relies on what you already have installed, so Xillisoft is the only one left that could be affecting things.

3. If #1 and #2 do not work out, go into Zoom's options and enable Playback : Smart Play > Save Smart Play graph creation errors to an error log file. When you tick that option, a dialog box will appear asking you for a location and filename to save the log file to. Just pick somewhere accessible, and a name for it, then restart Zoom and play a file. After the error is generated, close Zoom, and attach that log file to a post so I can take a look at it (if the log file is not all that large, you could probably also copy and paste it into a post rather than attaching the file).

If neither #1 nor #2 work out, I will have to try and think of something else. I have had a quick look at your MediaAutoGraph folder, and haven't seen anything wrong with it so far (I need to have another more in-depth look at it to be sure).

Regards,

ehat

#12 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi everyone,

Zoom Player v9.0.1 has been released. See first post for details!

Regards,

ehat

#13 Suzi

Suzi

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:00 AM

Hello ehat,

My favourite version is zoom7 and any newer version after that, I just try it and revert back to version 7.

The reason for that is because of the stream selection placed in a sub menu ever after version 7.

I have requested to bLight if he could revert it but he has not done that yet. I need an immediate access to the stream selection with out going to the sub menu.

Just to refresh your memory here is the discussion we had about it:

http://forum.inmatri...ic=13474&page=2

I installed zoom9 in a friend's computer to see if the stream selection is reverted to the way it was in version7.  Well, it is not.

My point? Well, my point is that the way it is, zoom9 is no good for me and let's just forget trying to solve the "GUID" issue for now.

If bLight doesn't read the messages, will you please remind him about my request?

Thanks for very thing, specially your prompt replies.

#14 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:53 AM

Hi Suzi,

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly do you need the streams to be listed directly in the right click menu rather than a sub-menu? Depending on what you are trying to do, there may be an alternate way of doing it that doesn't involve the streams being directly in the first level menu.

Regards,

ehat

#15 Suzi

Suzi

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hello ehat:

I have tons of them which are presets I made for the FFDshow Profiles/Preset settings. 

For the purpose I use Zoom Player, I need to access them several times in a session.

So right clicking and then going to a sub-menu is quit tedious even though it seems trivia. On top of that it takes a lot of space. To make what I do easier, I have to split the screen between Zoom player and another window. And so using the sub-menu causes the presets to flood in to the other window. 

In fact, I would love to have access to the streams with out right-clicking. You know some where from the task bar or from the control bar, but, I guess that is impossible. But, if you have any idea if that can be done or any other alternate way I can use, I will be waiting. 

Otherwise, I have to live with version 7 until bLight has a change of heart.

When I says tons of the presets, I mean tons, literally. Here is a screen shot, so you can see what I mean. 

http://www.freewebs....amselection.jpg

#16 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

But, if you have any idea if that can be done or any other alternate way I can use, I will be waiting.

From your screenshot, those seem to be ffdshow profiles, correct? Those are directly accessible from the ffdshow System Tray icon. Would that suffice? If so, all you need to do is to enable the ffdshow tray icon (it is disabled by default).

I spent a couple of hours with the Zoom Player TCP/IP control documentation, the skinning functions documentation, the command line switches listing, the hotkeys and mouse functions listings, and finally the context menu documentation, and I could not find a way to do it inside Zoom itself. Well - the TCP/IP API can access the subtitle entries in the Stream Selection menu directly (admittedly not by name, but by index number), but not ffdshow profiles.

(As an aside, I am impressed that you managed to get the ffdshow profiles listed in the Stream Selection sub-menu - I still have not figured out how you did that.)

ehat

#17 chaznet

chaznet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:50 PM

Any chance a more touch-oriented version is in the works?  Would love user-defined functionality for left/right/up/down screen swipes -- about all I miss after switching out my iPad for a Surface Pro 2 ;-)

#18 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

Hi chaznet,

bLight hasn't mentioned anything about touch recently to me - even though I don't use a touch based system myself, I do like the idea about being able to define those swipes. If there is some sort of Windows API for detecting which swipe has been performed (and I assume there is because Windows itself has to know this), then I don't see why it couldn't be added as an option. I've added it to the tracker (#632).

Regards,

ehat

#19 Suzi

Suzi

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

Hello ehat:

Yes, those are FFDshowProfiles/Presets and yes they are accessible from the tray icon. But very few presets are displayed because the top part is occupied by other things that have nothing to do with my presets.  

Here are both screen shots: http://www.freewebs....zoomdisplay.jpg

As you can see, I am missing several of my presets. From the tray icon, I have to click on the arrow to display the missing parts which defeats the purpose of easy access.

(if the zoom player context menu doesn't look familiar to you, it is because I have edited it)

On how I " managed to get the ffdshow profiles listed in the Stream Selection sub-menu"?. Well, it is not my work. FFDshow gives you an option to "Add internal filters to player's stream/language menu" under the "Tray, dialog & paths" panel.

Back to the "GUID" issue in zoom 9, I have good news.  I enabled the "Use indirect connection when connecting filters" in smart play/settings & black list and I don get the error any more. I am not sure if that option is supposed to be checked or unchecked. In zoom 7 it is unchecked and it works fine. 

Last but not least, did you get a chance to remind bLight about "fixing" the stream selection? If yes, what did he say? Is there any chance it will be reverted to zoom7 style, in future versions.

bLight broke the tradition of Zoom Player in here. One of the pillars of Zoom Player is all about FLEXIBILITY. 

#20 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

Hi everyone,

The FREE version of v9.01 has now been released, so I have updated the first post.

@Suzi: Just curious - do those presets show if you open the Extended Menu navigator and open the Stream Selection folder (default Shift+X, highlight Stream Selection and hit Enter)?

Back to the "GUID" issue in zoom 9, I have good news.  I enabled the "Use indirect connection when connecting filters" in smart play/settings & black list and I don get the error any more. I am not sure if that option is supposed to be checked or unchecked. In zoom 7 it is unchecked and it works fine.

Now that's interesting - it is still unchecked in v9 as well. It's good news that it fixes it...just not sure why it does it! It's good to have something else to check should this happen again with someone else though.

Last but not least, did you get a chance to remind bLight about "fixing" the stream selection? If yes, what did he say? Is there any chance it will be reverted to zoom7 style, in future versions.

I did point him to your post, yes. He didn't indicate any plans to change it back to the way it used to work though - and if you check the posts you linked to previously, he says the same thing (last sentence of post #32 in the thread you linked to in your first post in this thread). I think the only thing I can do for the moment is to put your particular use case into a tracker report, and then when bLight gets a chance to look at it, see if he can come up with some other way to achieve what you want without reverting back to the old stream selection.

Regards,

ehat