Photo

[Solved] How to play H265/HEVC files in ZP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bkm

bkm

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

Greets, using ZP Max 8.61. I have come across an HEVC file with AC-3 audio that crashes everytime I try to use ZP to play it. I have LAV installed for the splitter & audio/video decoder. I know the file is fine because I also have PotPlayer installed and after I configure Pot to use LAV as the splitter/decoders for HEVC, the file plays fine. The file also plays fine when using Pot's own internal splitter/decoder for HEVC. The file crashes ZP though. How can I configure ZP to play HEVC/H265 files?

I even disabled Smart Play and ZP still crashes. Graph creation error says:

Could not find a suitable Decoder for:
"[Source: Smart Play Graph (LAV Splitter Source)].Video"
SubTypes:
{31435648-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}

But I know this is BS because I can use PotPlayer with LAV and it plays fine. So I know that LAV is a suitable video decoder for HEVC.

Can I add a profile for this codec/subtype in ZP so then the file will play? How do that please?

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

Re-enable Smart Play, install the updated Smart Play profiles linked in the following post, re-run 'auto-configure' after installing the new profiles, and then see if the files play after that.
http://forum.inmatri...ge=4#entry54928

Oh, and read carefully the very last two sentences of paragraph 2 in that post (what they are saying is that this early in HEVC's life, there are going to be a lot of badly encoded and plain broken files, so not all files will be playable by something that sticks to the spec like LAV).

If the files still don't play after that, you need to pass a sample to nev and ask him why LAV fails.

ehat

#3 bkm

bkm

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

Thanks, I just went ahead and added a new profile for H265 and pasted in the subtype. Seems to have done the trick. Cheers

And then added in those four new profiles. All is good, thanks again.

Note: I gotta tell you that PotPlayer sure has a problem with madVR. While doing the testing with H265 as I described in my original post, whenever switching between window and FSE, no matter what the format of the video (H264, wmv etc) the video would stutter and blink in Pot. No such problems with our trusty ZP using the same LAV decoder/splitter :-) Wonder what that is all about. No matter, I always use ZP anyway, mainly because of the ability to make the mouse not pop up on the screen unless it's moved a certain distance. That is handy on the couch when watching cinema :-) And plus it's just more awesome hehe

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

Indeed - that would also do the job :)

ehat

#5 bkm

bkm

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

2nd reply edited. Cheers

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

This is only second-hand info, so take it with a grain of salt. I believe that I have seen more than one post by madshi - after a question by a PotPlayer user about a problem with madVR - where he states that the PotPlayer dev has never had any contact with him regarding integrating madVR with Zoom. On the other hand, I know that bLight has been in touch with madshi a lot about that very same thing. It might explain the differences in how well madVR works in both programs.

ehat