#1 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Hello!

Came across this inconvenience and after trying some workaround with no success I decided to come to the Gurus in the search for help.

I would like to use LAV filters but somehow the player fails to load them when the sound source is DTS. I Know this because it gives an error when I untick the "when smartplayer fails to create a graph revert  to direct show graph creation". If the option is ticked  then the player will load ffdshow and ac3 filter.

With other combination of codecs smartplay has no problem loading the LAV filters.

Does not load "the impossible"

Renders "Bounty Killer"

You can check this with the files I attach to this post which contain detailed pics of the problem.

Best regards!!!

Pletarix.

Attached Files

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi Pletarix,

DTS is disabled in LAV Audio Decoder by default (the Install Center version of LAV uses the exact same set of defaults that the stand-alone installer of LAV uses). With Zoom Player closed, open the LAV Audio decoder configuration dialog (Start Menu-->LAV-->LAV Audio Configuration), and enable the following options:

http://i.imgur.com/JRFk5dF.png

Once enabled, click Ok to exit from the configuration dialog, open Zoom - and then see if the problem has vanished.

Regards,

ehat

#3 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hello,

I'm afraid that is one of the first things I have tried, with no avail.

The problem lies somewhere else...

Its strange that both AC3 filter and ffdshow filter are loaded as you can check in the attachment I include in this reply

Attached Files

• Attached File  filt.jpg   37.75KB   0 downloads

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Ok, can you post a screenshot of the Playing Information dialog please? Default key is "I". Also, the Bounty Killer screenshot says the audio is AAC - if you open Zoom's options, go Advanced Options-->Playback-->Smart Play, select the 'Audio and Video Decoders' tab, and then select the 'AAC Audio' profile under 'Audio Decoders' (then click 'Configure'), what do you see? Ditto for the 'Matroska' profile under 'Source Filters' in 'Source Filters and Splitters' tab.

Its strange that both AC3 filter and ffdshow filter are loaded as you can check in the attachment I include in this reply

No, not really. Zoom is being kicked out of Smart Play, and then simply uses the filters with the highest merit that supports the codecs in the file from there on in (i.e. normal DirectShow mode). Those two filters would be them. What we want to do is i. Make sure LAV is set as the default for both the audio codec, and the video codec in the Smart Play options (there is a good chance it already is, Zoom has been increasingly moving this way), and ii. Work out why Zoom is being kicked out of Smart Play. As long as Zoom is not using Smart Play, it will ignore the Smart Play profiles and likely won't use LAV. So, the latter is the most important thing.

ehat

#5 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

Hello,

AAC and Matroska both are configured for LAV filters under the smartplay options or profiles. "Bounty killer" loads LAV filters, while "The impossible" does not.

So this means that AAC will load but DTS will not, and both are configured in Smartplay correctly, I think...

You can check this in the snaps I attach.

Attached Files

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:06 AM

I do notice one thing in particular in those screenshots. You have two DTS profiles - 'DTS' and 'DTS in Container'. The Information and Playing dialog indicates the profile in use is 'DTS in Container' - but the configure dialog shows you just have the 'DTS' profile open. Check the 'DTS in Container' profile instead and see if LAV is selected there.

If LAV is selected in 'DTS in Container', open the LAV Audio configuration dialog and ensure all formats are enabled in the Formats tab. If they already are, could you possibly chop off a small sample of the file and upload it somewhere?

We can rule one thing out at least - I was thinking that maybe LAV was not installed correctly, but the Bounty Killer screenshot quite clearly shows it loaded.

ehat

#7 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Hello ehat!

I already had checked "dts in container", and all formats are enabled.

This problem occurs with all the files that are encoded with DTS, not only "the impossible".

Here is the link for the sample you asked for.

http://www.megafileu...LEGi0N-mkv.html

I assume the problem lies with the audio decoder and not the video decoder, this because ZP has no problem loading the matroska video codec with the other file "Bounty Killer"

Please tell me if you need something more !

Best regards!

Pletarix

#8 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:41 AM

Interesting - that sample file plays fine here, and I needed to do nothing extra to get it to work - it played fine from the first time I opened it. Did you check the Formats tab in LAV to make sure all formats were enabled? And you also checked the Matroska profile under the Source Filters and Splitters tab to ensure it was set to LAV? The error message from your first post seems to indicate the problem is with reading the file, rather than decoding it - the fact that LAV is working fine for AAC would back this up. Note that there are two LAV profiles under the Source Filters and Splitters tab. The Source Filters profile should say "LAV Splitter Source (Registered)" when you click on it, and the Audio/Video Splitters profile should say "LAV Splitter (Registered)":

http://i.imgur.com/FL8f0Jw.png

The other two things to try are:

1. With Zoom closed, open Install Center, make sure everything is installed and updated, then close it. Open Zoom, go into the options and go Playback-->Smart Play. Then click the Auto-Configure button to reset Zoom to the installation defaults for Smart Play (you will need to restart Zoom to make this take effect).

2. Totally uninstall and reinstall Zoom Player.

ehat

#9 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hello!

I've  uninstalled the program and installed it again. The problem still occurs. Its very strange isn't it? Any more ideas?

PS.

I've come across with some new elements. While experimenting with "Media Player Classic HD" I noticed the program also failed to load the LAV audio decoder. In the case of MPC-HD I ended up with no sound though the filter loaded. So I unchecked DTS in lav config and I ended up with sound but no DTS , I think. (In MPC-HD they refer to the lav filters as internal, so this means the filters are embeded with the player, while Zoom uses the filters installed in system.

I did the same with Zoom Player (unticked DTS in the options) and it loaded the lav filters, video and audio (but no dts since I deselected it in the options, I think).

So do you think this problem could be system related? Ive configured ZoomP to load ac3 as audio decoder and it works flawlessly, as it will load LAV video decoder if the sound filter is not LAV

Best regards!

Pletarix.

#10 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

I asked bLight about this one. He said that you might want to try disabling the Zoom audio filter as a first step, just to see if it does anything (the odds are that it won't, but it is worth a try).

The error is indicating that the filters won't connect. He pointed out that the DTS option in LAV is only for SPDIF or Bitstreaming - that is, it is not for decoding DTS, but streaming DTS un-decoded to an external receiver. More than likely, the problem is that your external receiver does not support DTS - if it doesn't (you will need to check the manual for it to find out if it does), than DTS won't work. You will still be able to get sound if it doesn't - as I think you have discovered - just not DTS.

I don't have an external receiver (I have a soundcard in my PC, connected by cable directly to my speakers), and that does not support DTS, so LAV is outputting PCM format for me (with the DTS box unticked). If I tick the DTS box, I get an error in Zoom - not the same error as yours. Edit: Actually, it is exactly the same error as yours. I have just realised that you posted two errors in your first post, and I have been looking at the wrong one this whole time. The error is because my system does not support DTS (which is likely the same cause as your problem).

Pin Connection Error:

[Zoom Player Audio Filter].Output  --->  [Default DirectSound Device].Audio Input pin (rendered)

Code: Cannot play back the audio stream: the audio format is not supported. (8004025C)

ehat

Edit: Had to change my post above, I realised that I had been looking at the wrong error message in the first post. To break it down, the problem is that your audio system i. Does not support DTS, or ii. It does, but it is wrongly configured and so the audio stream is being rejected. Either way, it's not a Zoom problem or a LAV problem - it's your audio hardware.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 11 January 2014 - 05:21 AM.

#11 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hello ehat!

My speakers are DTS capable and my sound card also. They are very sophisticated components as a matter of fact. Logitech z5500 and creative ZxR.

I use the analog wiring connection because the DAC of the creative ZxR is far superior to the logitech speakers - if I connected through spidf I would end with the logitech decoding dts and dolby.

Maybe I am missing some configuration in the creative drivers software, or in the player, this is where I plea for your help, there is something I am missing, because the hardware is fine.

Very best regards!

Pletarix

Attached Files

• Attached File  In.jpg   131.12KB   0 downloads

#12 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Ok, if you are certain that your hardware supports DTS, than that means there is a mis-configuration somewhere.

1. Can you post a screenshot of Zoom Player's Advanced Options-->Playback--Audio please? I'm interested in what is listed in the Audio Renderer field.
  2. Also, as per the text inside that Creative program, have you selected "Speakers (Sound Blaster ZxR)" as the default playback device in Windows Control Panel? Like so: http://i.imgur.com/fGyUqHa.png
  3. Also, I download the soundcard manual from the Creative site, and found this (page 25):

DTS Connect

DTS Connect is a real-time encoding technology from DTS, Inc. for interactive media and is only
available on the PC platform. It converts any audio signal on the computer into 5.1 channel DTS format
and transports it via a single digital cable.

With Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect, a single digital cable is all that is needed to connect your
computer to your home theatre system, simplifying the setup and eliminating the confusion of multiple
cables.

To learn how to connect your A/V receiver or digital speaker system to your audio cards, consult the
following sections:

• Connecting Home Theater Systems
  • Connecting Digital Speaker Systems

Double check both those sections of the manual and make sure your setup (cabling and whatnot) matches what is in there.

ehat

#13 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

I have just also checked the Logitech manual. For DTS (page 6), it says the digital LCD should display the following:

Input: Optical 96..24

Effect: DTS Digital

A table on page 8 mentions DTS in conjunction with optical or coax. I will happily admit that I am not an audio person - so someone please correct me if I am wrong - but doesn't that indicate that you need to use a digital optical / coax connection to have DTS support on your speakers? In that an analog connection as you have will just not work?

ehat

#14 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hello!

I think we have been missing the solution while it was right under our eyes, but I could be wrong ...

First some contextualization :

Optical (Spidf) is fine if you use on-board audio, because it is the receiver (Logitech in my case) that will be decoding the audio signal, DTS, DOLBY and stereo will be decoded by the speaker system (Logitech z5500 in my case). This is what I used until now because only now I bought my soundblaster ZxR (I was very disappointed with the sound quality of music in general).

But if you have a piece of excellent hardware like the sound blaster ZxR you will not want to use optical because it would be the same as using the cheap and inferior motherboard audio hardware. Using the analogue direct 6 channel connection will assure it is the creative soundcard that will be superiorly decoding all the sound bits, and what a perfect sound I have now my friend since using the ZxrR.

What I think is the solution:

This all started when I found out that LAV audio filter wouldn't load and ZP simply loaded another profile. Then I discovered that unchecking the DTS option in the LAV filter configuration the filters would load but  the sound that came out of the speakers was not DTS (wrongly I think, and this is where the hypothetical solution  lies). I thought is was plain sound and not DTS. Well,  listening more carefully I can hear all the effects, different sounds coming out of each speaker, so this is all about DTS and not simple sound, DTS is definitely there, I think, I would not have 5.1 surround if DTS was not coming through, I think. I made The Same experimentations with an Mpeg DVD (Dolby Digital) and everything was just the same as with DTS, I had to uncheck Dolby in the LAV filter preferences for the filters to connect and load in ZoomPlayer. All these symptoms occurred in MPC-HD as well, just with the difference that the filters would load but no sound came out.

Now in the image I attach (part of the previous screenshot I already showed you), Creative labs clearly sate that no software program can play directly to the audio device while using the analogue 6 channel connection to speakers. This means (I think - correct me if I am wrong) that if the DTS and Dolby options are turned on in LAV audio config there will be a conflict and the sound card fails to work properly. That's why it will only work with those options turned off, because other wise the card wont be able to deliver the direct output. If I am right (and I am convinced I am )the soundblaster ZxR is a real wonder, worth each penny.

Is there some software to check if the sound coming out of the speakers is DTS or Dolby, just to confirm if I am right? It is definitely surround and full of effects as I have confirmed, but I don't know if it has to be DTS for these effects to be heard.

Correct me if I said something wrong, or am not thinking right at some point. I am just an apprentice in these matters. I am still working my way through my new sound device, the ZxR.

Very best regards!

Pletarix.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Note.jpg   60.06KB   0 downloads

#15 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hi Pletarix,

First some contextualization :

Optical (Spidf) is fine if you use on-board audio, because it is the receiver (Logitech in my case) that will be decoding the audio signal, DTS, DOLBY and stereo will be decoded by the speaker system (Logitech z5500 in my case). This is what I used until now because only now I bought my soundblaster ZxR (I was very disappointed with the sound quality of music in general).

But if you have a piece of excellent hardware like the sound blaster ZxR you will not want to use optical because it would be the same as using the cheap and inferior motherboard audio hardware. Using the analogue direct 6 channel connection will assure it is the creative soundcard that will be superiorly decoding all the sound bits, and what a perfect sound I have now my friend since using the ZxrR.

Ok, thanks for the explanation - I think I am understanding more about how this whole setup is working (I think I mentioned I'm not an audio person, heh).

Now in the image I attach (part of the previous screenshot I already showed you), Creative labs clearly sate that no software program can play directly to the audio device while using the analogue 6 channel connection to speakers. This means (I think - correct me if I am wrong) that if the DTS and Dolby options are turned on in LAV audio config there will be a conflict and the sound card fails to work properly. That's why it will only work with those options turned off, because other wise the card wont be able to deliver the direct output. If I am right (and I am convinced I am )the soundblaster ZxR is a real wonder, worth each penny.

The message does indeed state that no other application can use the 'Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (Sound Blaster ZxR DBpro)' audio device. I think you should see an entry for that in the Audio Renderer field in Zoom Player by the way. I may be wrong myself, but the way I interpret how this is working (or not working as the case may be) is the following. The DTS option in LAV is only for bitstreaming - that is, SPDIF or HDMI (it says this in the LAV Audio dialog box so we know this for certain). However, you aren't bitstreaming because you are using an analog connection (I checked with bLight on this part - I asked him if bitstreaming could be done via an analog connection, and he said that no, bitstreaming is digital only). Thus, you get the error when that option is enabled as LAV is attempting to bitstream the audio, but it can't do that because the audio connection is not capable of it (even though your audio hardware is)

The message from the Creative application also states that your application (Zoom in this case) needs to use the "Speakers (Sound Blaster ZxR)" option - just check that your audio renderer is set to that, rather than Default DirectSound, which is the default.

I know we have some users here on the forums who are heavily into audio - free batch of internet cookies to the first person who chimes in here and ends our confusion! ^_^

http://imgur.com/lP6VIIy

(Don't they look delicious audio people??? You know you want some!)

Is there some software to check if the sound coming out of the speakers is DTS or Dolby, just to confirm if I am right?

Yes - any good audio decoder should have this function. LAV, AC3 Filter and ffdshow all do for example. For LAV, while the file is playing, right click-->Filter Properties-->LAV Audio Decoder, and click the 'Status' tab:

http://i.imgur.com/9qh1BcA.png

For Ac3 Filter, you will find it on the 'Mixer' tab, and for ffdshow, it is on the 'Info and CPU' tab. As you can see by that image, for your test file, the audio on my system is being output as PCM - and the input is DCA (which is DTS Coherent Acoustics). My assumption (I can't actually check it as my system is not DTS compatible) is that it would show 'DTS' if DTS is actually being output. As an aside, I checked with bLight about my specific sound system, and he said it would always decode the audio as PCM, so I will never see anything except PCM, no matter what audio is input. As an alternative to the audio decoder, don't your speakers also have an LCD that shows the format (which is the 'Effect: DTS Digital' I quoted above in Post #13)?

ehat

#16 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi.

I'm learning a lot. Ive just learned that PCM is uncompressed audio, so this means that if the output is PCM it is even better than if it was DTS or Dolby which are compression algorithms, me thinks...

In my case Input is DCA (same as DTS) and output is PCM like I checked in LAV status, so the effects are there as long as input is DTS, I think. So we are good so far...

I've made some further testing following your advice for the purpose of finding out if I'm getting real DTS. I connected the optical (Spdif) cable to the speakers beside the analogue (all it takes to swap is the pressing of a button). I left the the Speakers ZxR as default device though. As soon as optical is selected the indication of DTS appears on the speakers LCD display. More, if I change to Dolby on the creative software (the screen shot I showed you) the display will change to Dolby, and vice versa. So this means it is the sound card that is controlling the speakers. The only difference while using Direct 6 channels output is that the sound is louder and the DTS or Dolby indication does not appear on the LCD, but my ears get the impression that all the effects are there.

But even with optical I can't bitstream, I still have to leave the DTS option in LAV configuration unchecked.

So with these new elements we can be pretty assured that I'm getting DTS and Dolby for sure, don't you think?

PS.

Final assumptions.

I've just found out this: If I use the optical connection to the speakers and then select "no encoding" option in the creative software I end up with "no digital output" indication on the lcd, and the sound stops as well. If I do the same thing while using the analogue direct connection nothing happens, I still get sound.

So one thing is for sure, optical delivers DTS for sure. But I don't know for sure if it is the sound card that is decoding it, maybe it is the logitech speakers, and I would prefer the other way round...

Best Regards!

Pletarix.

#17 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

so this means that if the output is PCM it is even better than if it was DTS or Dolby which are compression algorithms, me thinks...

No, I don't believe this is correct. The original audio is DTS, it is then decoded to PCM. That decoding step may in some cases produce some loss of detail in the audio. If the original audio was PCM, then was somehow converted to DTS (though I don't think that is possible), your statement may be correct (as the conversion could lead to loss of detail). The best quality audio is the exact same format from the original audio source, unaltered. That isn't to say that your ears may not prefer the altered singal - I tend to like a lot off bass in my audio (a processed signal), which would send an audio purist into a screaming fit! This all leads to the next point which I think needs to be made, even though you would be aware of it.

Obviously, bitstreaming is the process where the original audio is taken, and then no processing at all is done to it during the decoding chain - the reason why this is done is so that the audio quality is as close to the original audio source as is possible. So bitstreaming the DTS means that the audio is not converted to anything. That is, it starts out as DTS in the original source, and then ends up being output as DTS by the speakers/ouputs. This is the optimal quality (even if it may not necessarily sound best to your ears). If converting is being done (e.g. DTS to PCM), or the soundcard is altering the signal (e.g. applying audio effects), than it is not bitstreaming. As mentioned though, processed audio - as in your case - may actually sound better to your ears than the original un-processed DTS signal. Everyone is different, there is no right and wrong.

Related to this, Prinz mentioned something in the Install Center update thread yesterday that is related to your whole situation:

AC3Filter has one big advantage still: It has automatic fallback to non-bitstreaming if bitstreaming is not supported by the audio-renderer. LAV - Audio simply doesn't work if Bitstream is enabled but the audio-renderer doesn't support it.

That is, LAV should ideally detect that the bitstreaming is not working, and than gracefully fall back to non-bitstreamed, rather than throwing a hissy fit as it currently does.

As soon as optical is selected the indication of DTS appears on the speakers LCD display.

As expected, DTS is digital only - you won't get it via your analog connection, it is that simple.

but my ears get the impression that all the effects are there.

My advice? Forget about getting DTS output - you clearly like the processed signal better, and then whole point of media playback is enjoyment. If you output a format that your ears don't like - even though it may technically be the best signal - then you are just wasting your time :)

But even with optical I can't bitstream, I still have to leave the DTS option in LAV configuration unchecked.

If that option is disabled, there is no bitstreaming. If a digital connection still does not bitstream and your hardware supports it (which it seems to do), there is a configuration problem on your audio system.

So with these new elements we can be pretty assured that I'm getting DTS and Dolby for sure, don't you think?

Not with your analog connection, no - you said yourself that LAV shows PCM. As I said above, forget DTS - just enjoy the PCM :)

Time to get on my soapbox I think. [start rant] One thing I have always stressed about media playback is this. I constantly see people over on Doom9 stressing over theoretical minute percentage imperfections in the video that is displayed while they watch a movie, or the audio they hear while they play a movie. These people spend more time analysing the statistics of their playback devices (e.g. the OSD in madVR) than they actually do enjoying the media they are playing. Don't go down that path. I've always stressed this simple thing: "Does the video look fine to your eyes, and does it sound fine to your ears?". If so, forget about trying to improve it - it's pointless. So many people ignore this though. [end rant, off soapbox]

Sorry for the rant, but I spend nearly as much time on Doom9 as I do here (lurking, rather than posting), trying to learn more and improve my knowledge about media playback. It's a really good source of media playback knowledge, and I am grateful for it. But, I constantly see people whining about such minor detail - for example, a typical post may be "I can see on madVR's OSD that I have 1 repeated frame every 3 days, my life is ruined because of this, how do I get it to zero????" - and it really, really gets on my nerves.

ehat

#18 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

"DTS Connect
Connects to your home theatre system through a single digital cable and enjoy cinematic DVD movies by transforming any stereo or multi-channel streams into a DTS bitstream for high fidelity immersive surround sound."

The above transcription from the creative site clearly states the card is DTS capable

But the fact that I somehow fail in bitstreaming through LAV filter( with the digital Spdif connection) is leaving me uncomfortable and frustrated. Surely there is something I am missing. Maybe its just the way it is meant to function, since there is the indication that no software can play directly to the audio device.

Yes I agree with you totally, no need to get so technical about details that don't matter that much for the final result of the listening and viewing experience. But like I already said, for me is very uncomfortable not being able to control something that should be simple enough and straightforward ... This way I end up not knowing if it is the hardware that is failing or if it is me.

I am very very pleased with the stereo sound and the way the card handles the music output, which was the main reason I bought it in the first place. I am also pleased with the general sound of movies. Before, with the onboard audio device, the sound from movies was painful some times. Now I can hear more details and the voices are clear and understandable. I don't have to be constantly reaching for the sound volume like before.

Its just that I would like to know it it is possible or not to enable bitstreaming through LAV filter (with optical spidf connection) or if it is the way the card is supposed to work.

Best Regards!

Pletarix!

Attached Files

#19 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

The above transcription from the creative site clearly states the card is DTS capable

Oh, there is no doubt the card is DTS capable. Even the manual says that :) As does the manual for your speakers. So, what we have is this:
1. Source file with DTS audio.
2. DTS capable sound card.
3. DTS capable speakers.

Theoretically, as long as everything was connected correctly, you should be getting DTS sound. I don't believe you are, and so I think there is a misconfiguration somewhere that is preventing it from working. That's what we would be interested in working out.

But the fact that I somehow fail in bitstreaming through LAV filter( with the digital Spdif connection) is leaving me uncomfortable and frustrated. Surely there is something I am missing. Maybe its just the way it is meant to function, since there is the indication that no software can play directly to the audio device.

Ok, a couple of things:

1. What is the audio renderer set to in Zoom?

2. Have you tried AC3 Filter? It's not LAV - but if you used AC3 Filter, and it too failed, it would indicate that LAV is not the problem. Equally, if AC3 Filter worked and you hadn't changed anything about your audio system (except swap LAV for AC3 Filter), than that would indicate that the problem is in LAV. If you still have digital cable connected, you may have to enable the SPDIF option in AC3 Filter (I'm not sure if it is enabled by default). Another option would be to try ffdshow - there is a SPDIF configuration for it in Install Center (select ffdshow, click Configure and then apply the SPDIF configuration).

The point is not to forget LAV altogether - it is just to work out if the problem is inside LAV (which may have to be reported to nev, depending on what it is), or outside LAV (cabling, soundcard settings, speaker settings etc). We are flying blind here a bit, and we need to start narrowing things down a bit.

Yes I agree with you totally, no need to get so technical about details that don't matter that much for the final result of the listening and viewing experience. But like I already said, for me is very uncomfortable not being able to control something that should be simple enough and straightforward ... This way I end up not knowing if it is the hardware that is failing or if it is me.[

I'm the same way - something like that would bother me too, and in this case, I don't see anything inherently wrong with pursuing it to try and work out what the problem is. It's definitely different to the situation from Doom9 that I described above :)

I am very very pleased with the stereo sound and the way the card handles the music output, which was the main reason I bought it in the first place. I am also pleased with the general sound of movies. Before, with the onboard audio device, the sound from movies was painful some times. Now I can hear more details and the voices are clear and understandable. I don't have to be constantly reaching for the sound volume like before.

You have one up on me there. I've never reached that happy medium - I'm always adjusting the volume controls. Some clips are too low for me to hear, so I have to increase the volume to 100%, and then quite often, the very next clip I play will deafen me (just too loud at 100% volume), and I have to then drop it to 5% or 10%. It's quite maddening!

Its just that I would like to know it it is possible or not to enable bitstreaming through LAV filter (with optical spidf connection) or if it is the way the card is supposed to work.

Well, we haven't given up yet. We will get the answers to the couple of questions I posed above, and we can go from there.

ehat

#20 Pletarix

Pletarix

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hello.

I think I'll stick with the LAV decoder for this particular situation, because AC3 filter will revert if it can not connect and with LAV you know for sure if it connects or not and this will cut some probabilities right at the start line.

Don't you think its strange that Creative instructs to leave the speakers and not spidf as the default sound device to get full DTS bitstream? And at the same time they also say that you will only get DTS through spidf? - this is what really confuses me... :P

Well, at this point I really put my sleeves up and managed to get DTS Bitstream, but not the way I wanted to since I got DTS bitstream decoded by the speakers and not by the creative soundcard. This is what I did:

1. unplugged the analogue connectors just to make sure

2. set spidf as default audio renderer device on both windows and player configurations.

3. set creative software to "no encoder"

With these settings as soon as I load the movie TADA.... the display will change from "no digital data" to "DTS" and the LAV status will show "bitstreaming" as output.

4. If I set creative software to DTS with this exact same configuration I will get no sound (allthough LAV status will show bitstreaming as output as well), which proves it is the speakers hardware that is decoding the digital data.

But this is not what I intended - because what I really want is to bitstream through the soundcard and not to use the Logitech z5500 DAC on the decoding process

Another thing - I had to use MPC-HD to get these results, since when using ZoomPlayer with the exact same configuration I will get strange bleeping noise, but this is some detail that must not deviate our main objective which is to bitstream through the sound-card, and should be left to the end ().

And all my efforts to get DTS bitstream with the audio device set to speakers resulted on a huge frustrating effort, even if it is what creative instructs to do.

What am I missing?

Best Regards!

Pletarix.

Attached Files