194 replies to this topic

#61 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

Cool, thanks - always nice to have more samples :)

Interestingly enough, those files won't open for me at all when using DC-BASS. They do open (and do seem to play fine) when changing to LAV - I will make the suggestion to bLight that Opus be changed to LAV.

ehat

#62 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

The OPUS default splitter has now been changed to LAV. I expect that this modified profile will be in the next build, but for anyone wanting to check this now, download these new set of Smart Play profiles:
https://dl.dropboxus...iaAutoGraph.rar

Once you install them, don't forget to use the auto-configure button in Smart Play to get Zoom to use the new defaults. Included in the archive (aside from the new OPUS profile that is) are three other profiles: two new profiles (one for H265, one for VP9 - both of which LAV v0.59 has added support for), and a modified H264 profile (also based on changes in the 0.59 LAV). So four profiles in total - 2 modified (OPUS, H264), 2 new (H265, VP9). As with OPUS, I expect that these will all be included with the next build. Keep in mind that H265 and VP9 support in ffmpeg (which LAV is based on) is both i. new, and ii. ongoing. So, there may very well be H265 or VP9 files out there that do not play well - as support for these formats becomes wider and the decoders and encoders improve, I expect the number of files in this category will slowly decrease.

Oh, and I worked out why I could not play those OPUS files using DC-BASS - for whatever reason, DC-BASS+Zoom seemingly didn't like my audio renderer being set to Default DirectSound Device. If I change that to speakers directly, the Zoom error disappears and I can play those files using DC-BASS...but then I hear (presumably) the same thing that dsmith hears. That is, the samples are horribly garbled.

ehat

#63 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi everyone,

There is a slightly new Beta 29 MAX build available (see updated link in the first post). The single additional change in this new Beta 29 over the old Beta 29 (because it is one single change, bLight kept the Beta 29 designation), is a workaround for DVD's which use < and > in their volume labels. See this thread for details:

http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=14169

We're still not sure if those characters are actually legal for Windows DVD volume labels (honestly, I don't think they are, but apparently there are commercial disks out there that use them and ImgBurn actually let me use them in the volume label when I changed the encoding type to 'DOS' format, so I may in fact be wrong) - but it was a quick fix for bLight to add detection for them and work around them accordingly, so he went ahead and did it.

Basically, the problem was that when Zoom went to create a DVD bookmark folder with either of those characters in the name (when playing from an optical disk, Zoom uses the disk volume label followed by a unique identifier - playing an ISO from a hard drive is handled slightly differently and hard drive playback does not have this issue), Windows rejected it and thus the folder was not actually created. As well as DVD bookmarks not working for these disks, the missing DVD bookmark folder would cause the scene cut editor to fail as well. So, < is now replaced by &lt and > is now replaced by &gt, which Windows has no issue with.

I've created a tracker report for bLight to consider adding the other 7 invalid characters for Windows filenames (the full list being back slash, forward slash, colon, asterix, question mark, quote mark, less than, greater than, pipe). Again, I think all these are invalid, but as we now have the workaround for less than and greater than, I figure the other 7 may as well be added.

ehat

#64 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

Hi all,

I've updated the first post to link to Beta 30 for MAX users. Two minor changes over Beta 29:

1. Beta 29 introduced a fix for DVD/Blu-Ray disks whose volume labels contained the < or > characters. For these disks, no DVD-Bookmarks folder would be created, which as well as breaking the feature where Zoom begins playing the disk from the last point at which you stopped it, also broke the scene cut editor. This fix has now been extended to the other 7 invalid characters for Windows. Those being \ (back slash), / (forward slash), : (colon), * (asterix), ? (question mark), " (quote mark), | (pipe). This closes tracker report #577, which is the report I was referring to in my previous post.

2. The Media Library and File Browser navigators now have an 'Add Folder' function. I think it seems pretty solid, but as a new feature, any additional testing would be appreciated on this. Here's a screenshot of the new virtual keyboard for the feature (you can just use the physical keyboard and mouse if you prefer):

http://i.imgur.com/Kh6ybn6.png

Note that the graphics - especially the arrow key graphics - are subject to change. With Zoom, the usual practice that bLight follows is to create the feature, have some place-holder graphics for it and then before releasing an official Beta or Stable version, the graphics are polished and refined. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing occurs here.

Anyway, the only other thing is that there was some confusion recently about how to install these Beta's. Just by way of explanation, I used to have a brief guide to doing so in the first paragraph of the relevant Beta thread, but I stopped doing those a little while back, because it seemed as though the people who were installing the Beta's were the more advanced users, who could easily figure out how to install them themselves. I do realise however that not having an installation guide probably does discourage less experienced users from installing them, so I intend in the near future to do a proper guide to installing them. I'm unsure as yet what form that will take - written, screenshots, video, or a combination of those - but if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, let me know.

Regards,

ehat

#65 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

Is ZoomPlayer still checking for component updates for things that have been previously removed from the install center listings? For the second time now I've been told there are new components available but when I run Install Center it has nothing in bold that needs to be updated. I actually installed AC3 Filter three weeks ago to get ZP to stop bothering me about it being available even though I didn't want it.

#66 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:01 AM

Is ZoomPlayer still checking for component updates for things that have been previously removed from the install center listings?

Hi nx6,

Yes, it is. When bLight trimmed the Install Center component listing and changed the installation defaults for Haali, AC3 Filter and FFMPEG, he neglected to actually stop the update check for those three components - so even if you don't have them installed, Zoom will still bug you to update them. This won't affect most users - so far, you and I are the only ones I know of that have actually noticed it (no-one else has complained here on the forums at least). The only set of users who it will affect are those who don't have all of those three installed - that is, new users to the 8.70 Beta that introduced the changes, or users of older versions of Zoom who removed all the Install Center components and then installed them with the defaults using that Beta (e.g. me).

I noticed it shortly after bLight made those changes (Zoom checks for updates once per week, and my weekly update check became due shortly after those changes were made), and I logged a bug for it at that time (early October, #563) - it will be fixed, it's just a waiting game at the moment.

ehat

#67 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:27 AM

Yes, it is. When bLight trimmed the Install Center component listing and changed the installation defaults for Haali, AC3 Filter and FFMPEG, he neglected to actually stop the update check for those three components - so even if you don't have them installed, Zoom will still bug you to update them.

Okay, but I have them installed now, that's what's annoying me. I installed everything just to get the notices to go away since I didn't have them configured in smartplay I didn't think it would cause any problems.

c45k.png

But it still says that "new or updated components are available", and when I launch it shows that there is nothing new available.

#68 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:55 AM

Okay, but I have them installed now, that's what's annoying me.

Ok, obviously the problem goes a little deeper in that case. I asked bLight if he could think of anything off the top of his head which Zoom could be detecting as out of date, and he said he couldn't think of anything immediately and that he would need to look into it. I've added a note to #563 that even with all the components installed, the update prompt is still appearing.

I wonder if it is in fact still detecting the components that were actually removed? If you wanted to test this, you could use the Install Center from Zoom v8.61 - it will still offer all the removed components, and you can install those and see if the messages stop. You can either use 7-Zip to extract the relevant files from the 8.61 installer (Zoom Player Install Center.exe and Zoom Player Install Center.exe.manifest), or you can get them both here (Max version):
https://dl.dropboxus...(MAX, 8.61).rar

Simply rename the Zoom Player Install Center.exe file in your current installation (there is no .manifest file with the current version as it is now built-in to the main executable), and then copy the two files into the same folder. Run Install Center, select the non-installed components, and then we can see what happens (by changing a certain registry key, you can force Zoom to perform an update check the next time it is run, so you would be able to tell right away if it has worked or not).

I will also add a note to the first post that continuing update messages are a known issue.

ehat

#69 Jacques

Jacques

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

I haven't seen any reference to support of XySubFilter in Smart Play.  Have I missed something or is that no longer planned?  (And, yes, I do know that it can be used if Smart Play is disabled.)

#70 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

It's still on the radar - not sure of a timeframe at the moment though. What's a little bit worrying is that development on XySubFilter seems to have ceased for the moment. CyberBeing hasn't posted to the Doom9 thread for quite a while, and the last activity at all in the thread was the following post, ironically addressing the lack of activity:

http://forum.doom9.o...3&postcount=240

The source repo seems to have had no updates since about mid-September either. Hopefully things will start back up again though - if it is left in its half finished state, it's unlikely it will be added to Zoom.

ehat

#71 garfield314

garfield314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I would like to point out a few things on the new version:

- The thumbs addition in the timeline is a major advantage of the player (if it applies). I m not aware of any other player around with such a feature. It would be better the user to have some saying in this (= to be able to customize the number of thumbs each time visible in timeline, timeline zoom control etc) + the thumbs to be saved in a cache dir of some kind, so the next time the file opens thumbs fly faster (like ACDSee's database system -> user selects a dir & it stores DBase files there). An extra would be the initialization of NVidia CUDA hardware to speed up the thumbs creation (many people own this magnificent tech today), but I don't know how possible this is.

- I believe that you can include scene cut editor's function of "cut scene" in the main timeline (just with keyboard shortcut use, eg use [ and ] buttons to set start & end of cut).

- If you have done some work with scene cut editor and you watch the file played, once the playing frame passes the cut-scene, you cannot go back! It stucks there! I think you can fix this.

- I have a small question (I have no experience in video edit): what the numbers represent in scene cut editor produced file? time? frame?

#72 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

@everyone: The next build will fix the incorrect 'updated components available' message (you will also need to delete filters.data and filters.data.md5 from the Install Center cache folder and let Install Center download new copies).

@garfield314:

The thumbs addition in the timeline is a major advantage of the player (if it applies). I m not aware of any other player around with such a feature. It would be better the user to have some saying in this (= to be able to customize the number of thumbs each time visible in timeline, timeline zoom control etc) + the thumbs to be saved in a cache dir of some kind, so the next time the file opens thumbs fly faster (like ACDSee's database system -> user selects a dir & it stores DBase files there). An extra would be the initialization of NVidia CUDA hardware to speed up the thumbs creation (many people own this magnificent tech today), but I don't know how possible this is.

As far as I know, bLight still plans to add support for thumbnails to files that Zoom does not currently support (it may not be technically possible to have them for every single possible file, but I believe the majority should be covered). I have in the back of my mind a mental note to ask bLight if it would be worth disabling the thumbnail pop-up for files which it can't thumbnail. That may cause some user confusion though, which would be the only downside.

MPC-BE supports thumbnailing as well, and had it before Zoom did.

I suspect that there are not many options available for thumbnail display, because bLight wants to keep it simple. Every little option he adds increases the chance that something will break. MPC-BE for example provides no customisation for thumbnails at all - you can enable/disable them, that's it (at least Zoom allows you to set the size of the thumbnails).

I think caching to disk is not done as the display of the thumbnails should be quick enough to be done in real time, so caching would (in theory) provide no benefits.

There was a reason I think for not enabling hardware acceleration for thumbnails. It might have been that there was a performance hit to the thumbnailing, though I am not 100% sure now (it could have even been that there was just no benefit in enabling it, except it would have the downside of increasing the code complexity).

- I believe that you can include scene cut editor's function of "cut scene" in the main timeline (just with keyboard shortcut use, eg use [ and ] buttons to set start & end of cut).

Those to keys are already mapped to other functions, but regardless, at the moment, the only scene cut hotkey function available is enable/disable (which is mapped to Shift+T by default).

- If you have done some work with scene cut editor and you watch the file played, once the playing frame passes the cut-scene, you cannot go back! It stucks there! I think you can fix this.

I'm not really sure what you mean here - can you give some detailed reproduction steps?

- I have a small question (I have no experience in video edit): what the numbers represent in scene cut editor produced file? time? frame?

In the scene cut editor itself, or the actual .cut file (which are just plain text files you can open in a text editor)? If the editor, you may see a line like this:

Cut Start:00:00:39:209 - End:00:00:00:000

That is Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Milliseconds. So in this case, 'Start' is at the 39 second mark (39 seconds, 209 milliseconds to be exact).

ehat

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 05 January 2014 - 09:53 AM.

#73 garfield314

garfield314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hi again + thanx for the reply.

1)

Q: I'm not really sure what you mean here - can you give some detailed reproduction steps?

Lets say that I have done 1 single cut with the scene cut editor. Lets say from 00:40:00 - 00:45:00. If I have the scene cut option enabled (so that when this video plays, it will jump this spot), once the playing frame passes the cut-scene (= once it jumps to 00:45:00), you cannot go back using the left seek button! If you press the left seek, it stop & starts again from 00:45:00! It doesn't jumps back to 00:40:00. I think this is a bug!

2)

Concerning the produced txt file with cut scene editor start/end times,

I 'm sending you 2 files:

- the video.cut.txt file which is the cut file produced.

- the video.txt file, MediaInfo results of the video format.

I ve done 1 single edit to the 00:40:00 - 00:45:00.

The cut file says: 2400.000 - 2700.000. What are these?

Attached Files

#74 garfield314

garfield314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

I would like to make a last comment concerning the thumbnails.

I m sending you 2 samples of thumbnails methods.

- The first comes from MPC-BE. It's not an actual thumbnail timeline, but 1 sample that the user must move the mouse ON the timeline to see. I can't understand how this gives an idea to the user where is this that he seeks! Not useable at all.

- The second one comes from SolveigMM (video trimmer). It includes thumbs timeline (without user to move the mouse on it) to give a whole image of the video. Additionally, the user can zoom in/out to the timeline + the thumbnails are auto-adjusted to the new timeline range! This is what I call usability.

- The third one comes from TMPGEnc Authoring (video editor). It includes thumbs timeline (again without user to move the mouse on it). When the user moves in the timeline, the thumbs are created for the new range! Again very usable!

Attached Files

#75 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

@garfield314: I'll take a look at your other posts in the next day or so when I get some time (I'm a little busy right at this moment). I did just quickly check with bLight just to make sure I had given the correct information about both the hardware acceleration and the caching of thumbnails. I was correct about the hardware acceleration - when bLight measured it, he found that hardware acceleration adds 500ms to the thumbnail decode. That might not sound like much - but when you see it in action, you will realise it is a fairly noticeable performance hit.

With the caching, I was mostly correct. bLight said that caching could be done to add support for formats that do not list key-frames (which I wasn't aware of), but that he ran out of time before he could implement it. He did go on to say however that there is no benefit to caching for formats that do support a key-frame list (which is basically what I was saying, except I wasn't thinking of the possible differences between keyframed clips and non-keyframed clips).

ehat

#76 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

1)
Q: I'm not really sure what you mean here - can you give some detailed reproduction steps?

Lets say that I have done 1 single cut with the scene cut editor. Lets say from 00:40:00 - 00:45:00. If I have the scene cut option enabled (so that when this video plays, it will jump this spot), once the playing frame passes the cut-scene (= once it jumps to 00:45:00), you cannot go back using the left seek button! If you press the left seek, it stop & starts again from 00:45:00! It doesn't jumps back to 00:40:00. I think this is a bug!

Thanks for the clear steps. I would agree - I think that would be a bug. I just tried it on my system, and when I seek (using the left arrow key, which I haven't modified from the defaults), Zoom does jump backwards past the cut scene. For example, I set a cut at 1min 00sec to 1min 10sec. I then reloaded the media file, and when Zoom reached 1:00, it jumped to 1:10. So far, so good. I then waited until 1:15 (just to make the numbers easier) and then hit left arrow (medium seek backwards, with seek set to the default of 20 sec), and Zoom jumped backwards to 00:55 (which is 20 seconds). How are you seeking exactly? If it the same as myself (left arrow key), we might need to get an export of your Zoom settings to see if any of the settings are interfering with it (I don't tend to change many Zoom settings past the defaults).

2)

Ah, yes - I see what you mean. Checking a .cut file on my system that is past the 1 minute mark (the .cut file I checked before I posted my previous reply had a cut before the 1 minute mark, which means that I did not notice this), I see that Zoom actually converts the time values to seconds. So, in my example above (1:00 to 1:10), the .cut file shows 60.000 to 70.000. That is, 60.000 seconds (1 minute) to 70.000 seconds (1 minute, 10 seconds). In your case, the 2400.000 to 2700.000 should be 40 minutes (2400.000/60) to 45 minutes (2700.000/60). Does that sound correct? If not, I shall ask bLight.

ehat

#77 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

I would like to make a last comment concerning the thumbnails.
I m sending you 2 samples of thumbnails methods.
- The first comes from MPC-BE. It's not an actual thumbnail timeline, but 1 sample that the user must move the mouse ON the timeline to see. I can't understand how this gives an idea to the user where is this that he seeks! Not useable at all.
- The second one comes from SolveigMM (video trimmer). It includes thumbs timeline (without user to move the mouse on it) to give a whole image of the video. Additionally, the user can zoom in/out to the timeline + the thumbnails are auto-adjusted to the new timeline range! This is what I call usability.
- The third one comes from TMPGEnc Authoring (video editor). It includes thumbs timeline (again without user to move the mouse on it). When the user moves in the timeline, the thumbs are created for the new range! Again very usable!

Clear description, thanks. One question - SolveigMM creates the thumbs for the whole clip by the sounds of it. TMPGEnc creates the clip for the new range when you start to seek along the timeline. Don't these overlap a little? In that if an app (SolveigMM) creates the thumbs for the whole clip, then it makes the method used by TMPGEnc redundant (because if your app is going to create the thumbnails as you move along the timeline, why not just create the whole clip at once, ala SolveigMM).

What I might do at some stage is to create a single report on the tracker, and start collecting ideas for thumbnail improvements. The two I'd especially like to see are support for more formats (WMV, I am looking at you), and for formats that you absolutely can't thumbnail, the disabling of the thumbnail rectangle totally. Bonus points for a quick toggle function, so we can add skin buttons to toggle thumbnails off and on easily and for relative positioning of the thumbnails (move your Zoom window to the very edge of the desktop, and try and display thumbnails on the same side of the timeline as the desktop edge to see what I mean - the thumbnails vanish off the screen, and it would be nice if Zoom could detect the edges and adjust the thumbnail positions relative to that). The ideas you've suggested could be added to that report.

ehat

#78 garfield314

garfield314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

1)

Thanks for the clear steps. I would agree - I think that would be a bug. I just tried it on my system, and when I seek (using the left arrow key, which I haven't modified from the defaults), Zoom does jump backwards past the cut scene. For example, I set a cut at 1min 00sec to 1min 10sec. I then reloaded the media file, and when Zoom reached 1:00, it jumped to 1:10. So far, so good. I then waited until 1:15 (just to make the numbers easier) and then hit left arrow (medium seek backwards, with seek set to the default of 20 sec), and Zoom jumped backwards to 00:55 (which is 20 seconds). How are you seeking exactly? If it the same as myself (left arrow key), we might need to get an export of your Zoom settings to see if any of the settings are interfering with it (I don't tend to change many Zoom settings past the defaults).

2)

Ah, yes - I see what you mean. Checking a .cut file on my system that is past the 1 minute mark (the .cut file I checked before I posted my previous reply had a cut before the 1 minute mark, which means that I did not notice this), I see that Zoom actually converts the time values to seconds. So, in my example above (1:00 to 1:10), the .cut file shows 60.000 to 70.000. That is, 60.000 seconds (1 minute) to 70.000 seconds (1 minute, 10 seconds). In your case, the 2400.000 to 2700.000 should be 40 minutes (2400.000/60) to 45 minutes (2700.000/60). Does that sound correct? If not, I shall ask bLight.

ehat

Yes... and No!

Let me give the whole bug idea:

Suppose you use scene cut editor in a video file. you set 2 cuts: 1:00-1:10 and 2:00-2:30.

I would like to point out that we set the scene cut editor to "cut" (NOT jump!).

If the user tries to playback the video now, with the medium seek of 20 seconds assigned to the left arrow key, 2 different (& weird things) will take place:

- Playback jumps from 1:00 to 1:10. If the user press the left arrow key, the video position will go to 0:50 + the playback will be normal again (again jumping 10 seconds).

- Playback jumps from 2:00 to 2:30. This time though, if the user press the left arrow key (lets say at 2:40), the video position will not go back! it will stuck in 2:30 (no matter how persistant you press it) + will playback again and again from 2:30!!!

What I actually propose, is the "cut" function of zoom player to work both ways / inverted:

- When the user just playback (as it is now)!

- Same exact thing when the user wants to turn a bit back the playback = the jump to go from 1:10 to 1:00 & 2:30 to 2:00 for example!

I mean the handling of the playback must be EXACTLY like the cut part wasn't existing!

I also remembered here 2 things:

- In the previous experiments, for aproximately almost half of a second, before the video jumps a "cut" part, it actually shows part of the cut part! No matter how strong/fast PC you own!

- Although I have the latest version of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (all default codecs), when I open the Zoom Install Center it shows me that some codecs are NOT installed + asks to do it! (although they are installed by K-Lite)...

I have an Intel Quad with 8 GB RAM + Windows 7 installed + K-Lite mega codec pack.

#79 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

Suppose you use scene cut editor in a video file. you set 2 cuts: 1:00-1:10 and 2:00-2:30.
I would like to point out that we set the scene cut editor to "cut" (NOT jump!).

If the user tries to playback the video now, with the medium seek of 20 seconds assigned to the left arrow key, 2 different (& weird things) will take place:
- Playback jumps from 1:00 to 1:10. If the user press the left arrow key, the video position will go to 0:50 + the playback will be normal again (again jumping 10 seconds).
- Playback jumps from 2:00 to 2:30. This time though, if the user press the left arrow key (lets say at 2:40), the video position will not go back! it will stuck in 2:30 (no matter how persistant you press it) + will playback again and again from 2:30!!!

Ok, I set a video with those exact timings, and I now see what you mean. Technically, Zoom does actually jump backwards - you can see it jump back from 2:40 to 2:20 - but (I'm assuming this is the problem) as the time is within that cut section, Zoom immediately does what the .cut file tells it to and jumps back to 2:30.

What I actually propose, is the "cut" function of zoom player to work both ways / inverted:
- When the user just playback (as it is now)!
- Same exact thing when the user wants to turn a bit back the playback = the jump to go from 1:10 to 1:00 & 2:30 to 2:00 for example!
I mean the handling of the playback must be EXACTLY like the cut part wasn't existing!

Ok, so basically:
1. If playback is not interrupted by the user in any way, Zoom treats the .cut as normal. That is, at 1:00 it jumps to 1:10, continues to play until 2:00, whereupon it jumps to 2:30 and then continues to the end of the clip from there.
2. If playback is interrupted by the user (i.e. they seek in some way), then the .cut file should be ignored. So in this case, if the user seeks back at 2:40, Zoom jumps back to 2:20 and then just continues playback as normal from there (e.g. 2:21, 2:22, 2:23, 2:24 etc).

Though, then I suppose what do we do if there is another cut after that point in time? Say at 3:00 to 3:15. I guess the logical thing would be for Zoom to re-enable the use of the .cut file, and respect the jump - otherwise people may get confused as to why Zoom apparently ignores the jump from 3:00 to 3:15.

- In the previous experiments, for aproximately almost half of a second, before the video jumps a "cut" part, it actually shows part of the cut part! No matter how strong/fast PC you own!

Hm, I don't see that on my system. Here, Zoom pauses briefly before making the jump - but doesn't show any of the frames from the cut section that I can see. Not sure what's going on there (Intel Quad, 8GB RAM, Win 7 64bit here, sounds very similar to your system).

- Although I have the latest version of K-Lite Mega Codec Pack (all default codecs), when I open the Zoom Install Center it shows me that some codecs are NOT installed + asks to do it! (although they are installed by K-Lite)...

This is likely to be the current Install Center bug at the moment where it is detecting updates that are not there. From one of my posts above:

@everyone: The next build will fix the incorrect 'updated components available' message (you will also need to delete filters.data and filters.data.md5 from the Install Center cache folder and let Install Center download new copies).

I haven't yet posted that build - I was wanting to see if bLight was going to post another one first. The other (less likely) possibility is that K-Lite installs them in such a way that they are not being detected as installed. It's more than likely the first one though.

ehat

#80 garfield314

garfield314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

You were right for the markings in the .cut text files! They represent seconds.

Suggestion 1:

If I understood your saying right, you can set the zoom player cut file in reverse times?

eg in the same file cuts 1:00-1:30 + 1:30-1:00?

Wouldn't be better to just add a checkbox "use times and backwords"?

Suggestion 2:

Why you don't seperate the scene cut editor as a independent GUI from Zoom (something like the Zoom install center)? This way you can have it changed with Alt+Tab (instead of adding seperate key shortcuts). Additionally you can integrate better key shortcuts to the 2nd GUI (scene cut editor) exclusivelly for it, in order for the user to do the cut file production faster (instead of using the mouse)! This way you can even set [ and ] buttons to set start & end of a cut (having the visual of the playback).

Suggestion 3:

Suppose a video file has a .cut file for it ready. Is it possible to add distinctive solors to the timeline of the video, so the user to be able to see what exact parts are out? Eg in the main (default) timeline of the zoom player, the playing parts to be yellow + the skipped ones black!

I m sorry if I get you tired or headached, I just want to provide some ideas for improvement.