18 replies to this topic

#1 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

LAV now supports Ordered Chapters (Editions) in the current test version, but in Zoomplayer I can't choose/switch the edition because the Menu is missing. This I consider a bug. Latest LAV with Ordered Chapters support: http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=14613

The Feature Request is:

- Ask as a Navigator Menu which Edition I want to play before starting the playback a mkv with ordered chapters

#2 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

I want to wait and see what ehat says :)

#3 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

- Ask as a Navigator Menu which Edition I want to play before starting the playback a mkv with ordered chapters

By 'ask', do you mean having a pop-up in Zoom asking you which edition to select? If so, that won't happen - Zoom will simply use as default the edition selected by the splitter (LAV or Haali's). nev has decided on the default for LAV already - and it will be the same way Haali's does it.

If you simply mean that Zoom requires a sub-menu to list the chapters - ala Stream Selection - and that there is nothing about a prompt, then yes, I agree. I don't think that bLight will look at this until that feature is in LAV stable though.

ehat

#4 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

By 'ask', do you mean having a pop-up in Zoom asking you which edition to select? If so, that won't happen - Zoom will simply use as default the edition selected by the splitter (LAV or Haali's). nev has decided on the default for LAV already - and it will be the same way Haali's does it.

So to quote the new tagline:
The world's most flexible & customizable media player will be as inflexible and in-customizable as any other player...

Selecting the edition after the playback started is simply user unfriendly, since after changing the edition the playback starts from the beginning for obvious reasons. It's not like audio or subtitle streams where the switch can be done in midstream.

#5 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

We may be at cross-purposes. Describe exactly (in detail) what you are referring to. I am assuming you want Zoom to pop-up a dialog box when it starts playing a Matroska file, asking you to select which chapter you want to use (it will than have some sort of drop-down list showing each chapter) - and that is what I am pretty sure is not going to happen. But it may not be what you are trying to refer to.

ehat

#6 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

No, not meaning that.

I mean that if a mkv has ordered chapters = editions (for example director cut and theatrical cut) that a Navigation pops up before the playback starts and asks me which edition (in this example: Directors cut or Theatrical cut) I want to watch. I do not mean normal chapters.

I doesn't make sense in many cases to start the playback with the default edition (example: Theatrical cut) and then manually switch the to the edition (example: Directors cut) I want to watch, which obvious courses the playback to start from the beginning with the new selected edition.

#7 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Right, I think I am on the same page as you now. It's an interesting idea, and does have some sense behind it. I guess the possibility of this being added into Zoom will depend on what control LAV allows over it. I am assuming that LAV will allow (in its API) the same as it does with subtitles, in particular, the ability of the player to specify the edition to be played. I can't really think of a reason why it would not. nev hasn't really discussed this yet as far as I know - he does mention editions in the following post, but only in the context of what edition LAV will use as the default, not what it will allow to control:
http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=14650

Anyway, I shall mention this to bLight - I've already raised the general issue of chapter selection with him with the new addition to LAV. I will put it in the tracker as well so it doesn't get lost in the meantime (unsure when nev plans to release a stable).

ehat

Edit: #487 refers.

#8 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I don't think that bLight will look at this until that feature is in LAV stable though.

Just as an info:

Unless some new bugs come to light that may need a bit more time for fixing, i'll probably release a final version in the next 1-2 days, so if you know about bugs that need squashing (especially regarding ordered chapter support), please let me know as soon as possible.

Source: http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=14684

So the it will be in LAV stable already in the beginning of next week, if no Bug is found.

#9 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:52 AM

Indeed, I have let bLight know that a stable version is probably imminent.

ehat

#10 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

Stable Released: http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=14729

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Thanks, I believe bLight may be looking into this now.

ehat

#12 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

A few fixes in a new stable:

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=14800

#13 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

bLight said that he has normal LAV chapters working at the moment, but he is unsure if he needs to do anything for ordered chapters (and I couldn't answer the question either). I did let him know of the .1 release, so he is waiting for a potential .2 to drop for the moment, will probably give it a few days to see what happens...

ehat

#14 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

Like I said as a Bug-Report in my first Posting. Ordered Chapters can't be used at all in Zoomplayer with LAV, because there is no way to select/change them. You have to use MPC-HC or similar to use Ordered Chapters with LAV.

#15 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

Thanks prinz, I reviewed your comments and agree that it would be nice to have an edition-selection prompt in such cases.

I will try to implement support before the next final release.

ehat will add a bug-report on the tracker for this and if you have any comments on it, make sure to add them to the report as I'll be using the report as a starting off point for this feature.

#16 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

One more thing, can you provide links to a larger sample for ordered chapters?  Something a few minutes long that is very clear which branch you're on.

#17 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Only have complete movies made with the xin1generator from Bluray's with multiple editions.

#18 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:44 AM

All right, I will have to do some searching for samples - the only ordered chapter samples I have are broken according to nev ^_^

ehat

#19 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:44 AM

LAV 0.56.2 is now up on Install Center.

As always with a LAV update, if you have set Install Center to 'All Formats' for LAV, then you will need to set that again after the update, as it defaults back to 'Default Formats' after each LAV update.

ehat