10 replies to this topic

#1 CyberTootie

CyberTootie

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

With "Link volume up/down functions to PreAmp volume when increasing volume past 100%" enabled, when reducing the volume while at 100% and a PreAmp level set (due to increasing the volume while at 100%), reducing the volume back to within 100% or lower is not resetting the PreAmp to 0db.

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

This is the Zoom helpfile entry for that option:

Link volume up/down functions to PreAmp volume when increasing volume past 100%
This feature is specific to the "Volume Up" ("+" or "=" keys) and "Volume Down" ("-" key) functions. When enabled, increasing the audio volume level past 100% increases the Equalizer PreAmp levels (digital, lossy volume adjustment). Decreasing the volume levels first decrease the PreAmp value to its default level and only then the volume level is reduced, providing a wider volume range on demand (very useful when playing media with extremely low volume range).

http://www.inmatrix....ons_audio.shtml

From your description, I am not 100% sure if the option is working as intended (not a bug), or is not working as intended (a bug). It sounds like the PreAmp was not set to zero, so you changed it - if so, according to the help text, Zoom only decreases the volume to the default level (which would not be zero in your case as that wasn't the default value, the default value would be what it was before you changed it to zero). So, I'm sort of leaning towards it "working as intended" (of course, I may be misunderstanding your description). Only bLight would be able to say for sure though.

ehat

#3 CyberTootie

CyberTootie

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

In this case the PreAmp started at 0db.

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ah - if the PreAmp was at zero to begin with, then I'd expect that it should return to zero, if the helpfile text is correct. I don't have a PreAmp to test with myself, so I'll just log a report into the tracker so the dev's can look at it.

ehat

Edit: #265 refers.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 16 March 2012 - 11:41 PM.

#5 CyberTootie

CyberTootie

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

I'd like to add that this behavior did not occur on my laptop. I'll see how/when I can duplicate this, however when it was occurring, the increments the levels were being changed upon pressing the volume up/down buttons were illogical.

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:58 AM

The Zoom volume by design changes by 5% each time until you get to somewhere under 10%, whereupon it changes to 1% each time. Is that what you mean?

ehat

#7 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Edit: #265 refers.

Ok, the dev's weren't able to reproduce this. This was their response:

I can't replicate this.
The only thing that affects it is if you manually change the pre-amp value.
And there is no 0db on the pre-amp, it works as % of the volume, so no pre-amp = preamp at 100%

ZP remembers how much it raised the pre-amp through the volume feature and then drops preamp back to the original value.

#8 CyberTootie

CyberTootie

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

All indications are that it is working as intended. It might have been a fluke problem or perhaps I did modify the Preamp level beforehand.

#9 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Well, if it is working now, that is the main thing :) I was going through the tracker the other day, and I stumbled across your request for ReplayGain support, which is still open. I don't know if you ever saw bLight's response originally:
http://forum.inmatri...indpost&p=48649

If you're still interested in that feature, feel free to pop into the closed forum and put a topic there as a reminder to bLight.

Regards,

ehat

#10 CyberTootie

CyberTootie

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

I did and I kind of did.
http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=13471

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Oops, ehat completely missed that post. I will put a link in the tracker report to that thread!

ehat