21 replies to this topic

#1 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:07 AM

I'm sure this has been asked already, but not seeing the thread.

I want to use LAV for h264 decoding in Windows 7 (actually Windows 8 Developer Preview but it's the same issue I'd have if I was using 7). I can use Smart Play and get ffdshow used by Zoom Player, but if I disable ffdshow's h264 decoder instead of it rolling over to LAV filter's it uses the Windows built-in decoder. How do I block that or manually set it to LAV filter instead?

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:38 AM

Set Zoom to use a Smart Play profile for LAV - no need to fiddle with ffdshow's settings. The only roll-over in Smart Play is to DirectShow - Zoom does not check the other Smart Play profiles when the selected profile does not work, it jumps straight to DirectShow.

ehat

#3 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

Set Zoom to use a Smart Play profile for LAV - no need to fiddle with ffdshow's settings

Not sure what you mean by Smart Play Profiles. There's only one profile from what I can see. The issue is I can't find a way to specify LAV for a decoder. Only the "LAV CUVID Decoder" shows up on the list of available h264 decoders -- I don't know if that covers the plain LAV decoder or only the version that supports NVidia hardware acceleration. Anyway, Zoom Player says it's not registered when I try choosing it.

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Ok, you know where the profiles are - that will make this easier. Before you do this, make sure you are using Zoom v8 RC3 pre23 (http://forum.inmatri...showtopic=13234) and have installed everything from Install Center. Once you have done that, go and click on the H264 profile in the Video Decoders field of Smart Play. Click Configure. When the box comes up, this is what you should see:
http://img839.images...72/snap005a.png

Simply select LAV Video (LAV CUVID is now depreciated and has been rolled into LAV Filters as 'LAV Video'), click Ok, then click Ok again to get back to Zoom. Restart Zoom, and all going well, your H264 files will now use LAV Video. To configure it, go into Filter Properties and click the LAV entry there (or if it isn't listed, click the Smart Play entry down the bottom of the list).

ehat

#5 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

I had LAV already installed separately, so Zoomplayer didn't list it as something I could add. So I quit and uninstalled it, then went back to the Install Center and had Zoom Player install the slightly older version it had. But nothing's changed. Have relaunched Zoom Player and gone to check but it's still listing the "LAV CUID Decoder" as the only one. No "LAV Video Decoder" entry.

#6 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

nx6, are you using the recommended ZP? - v8 RC3 pre23 ?

#7 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Yes. I installed it on top of the v8 RC3 Home Free Ed. I had installed before, but I used the full installer (not just replacing the exe).

#8 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Hi nx6,

Please look what is written in advanced options->About , that will tell you which version is installed..

#9 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

It says it's Home Max. I'll try a full uninstall, reboot, and reinstall.

Edit:

Done. No change.

Posted Image

#10 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

How bizarre - for some reason, the Zoom install is apparently not installing the H264 profile correctly. With a new install, you should see what is in my screenshot above. Ok, try this. I have attached the correct "fresh from a new install of Zoom pre23" H264 profile file to this post. Download the file to your PC. Then, make sure Zoom is not running and in your file manager of choice, open up the C:\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph folder. Now, find the H264.viddecoder.profiles file already in that folder and rename it (just add '.original' to the end of it). Lastly, copy the downloaded file into that MediaAutoGraph folder. If you then run Zoom and go back into the H264 decoder, you should see LAV Video if all has worked ok.

If not, check again the VirtualStore folder - make sure this file does not exist: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph\H264.viddecoder.profiles (if this file exists as well, it will over-ride the file in C:\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph).

ehat

#11 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

Ok, try this. I have attached the correct "fresh from a new install of Zoom pre23" H264 profile file to this post. Download the file to your PC.

I'm not seeing a file attached to your post.

Then, make sure Zoom is not running and in your file manager of choice, open up the C:\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph folder.

I assume you mean C:\Program Files (x86)\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph\. There is no folder called "MediaAutoGraph" in the Zoom Player directory. I even tried manually entering the name in Windows in case it was being hidden from me.

Posted Image

If not, check again the VirtualStore folder - make sure this file does not exist: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph\H264.viddecoder.profiles (if this file exists as well, it will over-ride the file in C:\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph).

That folder (C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph) does exist after I manually entered the name. And there is a H264.viddecoder.profiles file in there.

#12 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

He probably forgot to attach..

About the middle part, program data is NOT program files, it is your
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData

#13 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:04 PM

About the middle part, program data is NOT program files, it is your
C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData

That doesn't make any sense.
If I substitute what you're saying he meant into his instructions the phrase now reads to make sure a file doesn't exist or it will override itself.

If not, check again the VirtualStore folder - make sure this file does not exist: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph\H264.viddecoder.profiles (if this file exists as well, it will over-ride the file in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph).

That's a bit illogical.

To me it sounds like he's using a non-English version of Windows where the "Program Files" folder is named "Program Data" instead.

He wants me to remove the copy of the file "H264.viddecoder.profiles" in the Zoomplayer program directory and replace it with the one he was going to attach, but warns that if there is a file in the VirtualStore folder it's settings will be used instead of the file I'm copying, so make sure that file isn't there. This would make sense as the AppData folder is a user settings folder, its settings should overrule what's in the program's standard directory as that would facilitate per-user custom settings.

#14 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:22 PM

nx6,

I've called our developers for help on this issue.
They will review it and post their opinion in the coming days.

Booga.

#15 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

Just FYI. I reinstalled Zoom Player on my computer's "other side" (Windows XP 64-bit Edition) using the Max Pre-final version and the "LAV Video Decoder" option does appear on it for h264 decoder choice. Just not on this side.

#16 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

What do you mean "not on this side"?
If it appears it can be selected.. no?

#17 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

What do you mean "not on this side"?
If it appears it can be selected.. no?

My computer is dual boot. I'm saying I can choose it on the Windows XP installation of Zoom Player, not on the Windows 8 installation.

#18 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:41 PM

nx6:
There's been a few odd reports that mention the profile files are saved with the wrong permission when doing a "Standard" install.
The "ProgramData" directory is not "Program files", it's a directory where application should save dynamic files now that the "Program Files" directory is read-only if User Account Control (UAC) is enabled.

When an application tries to write to the program files directory, it is automatically re-routed to a virtual directory (since you're not supposed to write to the "Program Files" directory.
I'm still investigating the issue.

You can try to manaully change the file permissions, or just erase the files and copy them manually into the ProgramData directory.

Let me know of your progress as you are only the second person to report this issue.

#19 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

You can try to manaully change the file permissions, or just erase the files and copy them manually into the ProgramData directory.

Let me know of your progress as you are only the second person to report this issue.

Okay, I've fixed it.

The first thing I did was launch the Install Center from it's own icon (not from within Zoomplayer's settings), and uninstalled LAV Components.
Then I went to check the files in C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Zoom Player\MediaAutoGraph\
My username had full permissions to the "h264.viddecoder.profiles" file as well as the other file present "Matroska.sourcefilter.profiles" so I wasn't blocked from making changes to them. So I just deleted both files. I then ran the Install Center again and reinstalled LAV Components. Going back to the settings on Zoom Player "LAV VIdeo Decoder" now appears as an option for H264 Decoder. I have tried it with a file and it is being used.

Plus, the subtitle cycling bug is gone for me now as well when using LAV Splitter (the one we were discussing on the Doom9 forums that wasn't fixed for me with your new prefinal build). I suspect the "Matroska.sourcefilter.profiles" file I deleted had something to do with that.

Edit: Apparently this is a one-time-only fix. Setting new splitter/video/audio decoders creates new files in the MediaAutoGraph folder for whatever format settings you change, and you can't make further changes without going back and deleting those files again.

#20 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

There's a new installer that should fix the permission issue.

I'm sending you the password to the closed forum in a PM.