#1 lanfear

lanfear

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

Hi everyone!

The "Restore last media position on replay" feature does not work if "Save last play time and date (uncheck if you do not want items listed in the play history list" is unchecked. The parenthesis on the latter makes you believe that unchecking only affects the play history, so I believe it might be a bug.

But if it's by design, it would be an idea to move the option down next to the "Restore" section, and let it grey out the entire section if unchecked. (Like the top option does.)

Thanks for a great player!

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:46 PM

Hi lanfear,

The Zoom help file gives the following text for the 'Save last play time' option:

Save last play time and date (uncheck if you do not want items listed in the play history list)

When unchecked, no play time and date is saved for the playing media. Media with no play date will not be listed in the play history and play history navigation interfaces.

Source: http://www.inmatrix....iahistory.shtml

Based on that, I believe things are working as intended. If Zoom does not save the play time for your media - which it doesn't according to the help file text - then it makes sense to me that it can't restore the last media position on replay (as it has nothing to restore to).

As an alternative to moving the option, I suppose Zoom could just disable the "Restore last media position on replay" option automatically if the "Save last play time and date" option is disabled (grey the option out so people cannot select it unless they enable the other option). Though I do see the sense in this case of having all the disabled options together. Anyway, I'll put a suggestion into the tracker listing your idea and the alternative of just disabling it without moving it so the Zoom developer's can look at it.

Regards,

ehat

Edit: #152 in the tracker refers.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 31 August 2011 - 02:54 PM.

#3 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

Ok, here is the dev response:

Something is wrong here.
The "Save last play time" doesn't control where the last play position is saved it only controls whether ZP should keep a date value for when it was played (so it either shows or doesn't show in the play history).

I just tested this and the last position is restored even if this setting is disabled.

ehat

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

Update: After some more experimenting, Blight has managed to reproduce the problem. It is now fixed (await the next public build).

ehat

#5 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

even a followup :bow:

#6 lanfear

lanfear

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:28 PM

Awesome, thanks for the followup! :D

#7 agenthex

agenthex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm experiencing a different but related bug where the playback position would be restored when the player is still open (eg play a file, play another, come back to first), but the saved db value for just the time position (volume is restored fine) is ignored after player is restarted (play that first file again, it starts at 0:00). Settings in History settings tab are correct (save everything). I'm on pre23.

Another odd bit I found is that new files don't show up on the play history list (only see a few files from months back). Is it possible that some weird time filter got applied (like if my computer's date was out of whack once)? Or maybe permissions on the history db (where is that located anyway)?

#8 agenthex

agenthex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

I troubeshooted some more and it seems like the history file updates fine when the player is running, but all new entries disappear on restart. Maybe if I knew where it's supposed to be writing this history on exit, I can look into it more.

---

Yeah, history is definitely not saving. Tried running in admin mode, no difference. Cleared history, navigator shows cleared history, still same files show up on restart.

#9 agenthex

agenthex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

Ok, resolved the problem. The cache file is in programdata\. Somehow the zoomplayer directory has odd permissions or something. Admin has full privelege/ user has readonly, but files cannot be edited even if logged in as admin. Set full permissions for all users and now saves correctly. Dunno if player wants to check for that sort of situation, have no idea how it might arise.

#10 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

I'm glad it's solved, but we would like to know :
Were the permissions missing because of your setting or the installation itself (in which case, we need to fix that..)?

#11 agenthex

agenthex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

I'm glad it's solved, but we would like to know :
Were the permissions missing because of your setting or the installation itself (in which case, we need to fix that..)?

I'm pretty sure I didn't change the permissions on the folder previously (in fact I had to find the folder since I didn't know where it was). But I did have Ver 7 before and maybe something got mixed up with RC installs (installed to new dir, but programdata the same folder). Unfortunately, it continues to work even when I revert the normal user permissions back (write to admin only), so I'm not able to isolate/repro the failure.

Another weird thing I noticed was that there was a .tmp cache file in the programdata dir (maybe because the orig cache file can't be written?), but was gone when permissions were changed.

#12 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

I really don't know what windows does with cached tmp files on permission switch,
Let's hope it was a remainder of some setting or ZP7 remainder..

Booga.