Photo

"Subtitles (cycle through multiple streams)" BUG!!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 rodimus

rodimus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:20 AM

I downloaded and tested ZoomPlayer 8.00 RC2.
It seems that there is a bug with "Subtitles (cycle through multiple streams)" command. Shifts in the audio track for the first time you call this command, and nothing about subtitles.

#2 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

Hi Rodimus,

We have bug 75 on this issue -
Please try FFDShow in the meanwhile, which doesn't have the problem VoBSub does.

Booga.

#3 rodimus

rodimus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

Hi Rodimus,

We have bug 75 on this issue -
Please try FFDShow in the meanwhile, which doesn't have the problem VoBSub does.

Booga.

Solved,
Thanks.

#4 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

Is there a certain component update that caused this bug? I've been using ZP8 RC3 for months now and was not experiencing this issue until a couple weeks ago. I would gladly back off an update or other change that may have happened to get things working again.

#5 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:00 PM

Using FFDshow for subtitles solves this issue. (Advanced options->playback->video->subtitles).

#6 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:29 AM

Using FFDshow for subtitles solves this issue. (Advanced options->playback->video->subtitles).

No, when I use FFDshow, Ctrl-B doesn't cycle subtitles either.
Plus now the video seems to be playing slower than it should be.

#7 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:09 AM

As Booga said, no update is involved - you just have to use VobSub for your subtitles to see the problem. If you don't use VobSub, you should not see the problem (hopefully!).

ehat

#8 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Alright, I had Zoom Player uninstall all it's components, then removed Zoom Player and any video-related other items I used for other players (LAV filters, etc). Then rebooted and did a clean install. I ran Zoom Player's install center and did not install VOBSub. Only ffdshow and the other usual components this time. Then I went into Zoomplayer and set ffdshow as the preferred subtitle renderer. Subtitle cycling is now back. Of course that comes at a heavy price:

• Have to downgrade picture renderer: Running in Haali's Renderer causes video to play back too slow with ffdshow's subtitle filter. Speed seems right after changing to EVR. (8-bit h264, High Profile, 720p)
  • Many subtitle features are not supported in ffdshow's filter, especially vector subtitles.

Now the fun part:

10-bit playback is completely borked. Wasn't able to play back 10-bit 720p file, whether it was on Haali's renderer or EVR. Even when I disabled the subtitle filter in ffdshow's prefs and set VOBsub as preferred subtitle filter (when it wasn't even installed) and relaunched Zoomplayer. Even with the ffdshow subtitle filter as disabled as I could make it, I still could not play back the 10-bit file without video running slow and audio stuttering, even though there were no subs now. Checked system load graphs, and I had 80% CPU usage on all threads, and this is on a Core i7!

I reinstalled VOBSub from the Install Center and reenabled it in prefs. Relaunched ZP, and BOOM, it's playing correctly again. Running with Haali's I'm at 19% system load now. If I set VOBSub to "not load" and relaunch, the playback degrades again. The system actually plays better with VOBSub running than with no subtitles at all.

#9 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

I want to test this myself (are you using smart play?) :

Can you please send us a link to :
1. The file you are trying to play (the 10-bit file, including its' subtitles).
2. A screenshot of your right click->"filter properties"->"graph information" while you are playing the file.

I would then test it and find a solution.

Booga.

#10 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:09 AM

Yes, I am using Smart Play, although I usually wouldn't. It was turned on after I did my reinstall of ZP and made sure settings were back on defaults. I just noticed, but, Smart Play is a file splitter? O.o

Anyway, the file I've been doing this with is the credit-less OP animation to Steins;Gate. Bluray source, embedded with ASS-format subtitles added by Commie Subs. 720p. File length is a minute and a half, 80 MB.

http://www.fileserve.com/file/JKY5wZe

Playback with VSfilter enabled:
Graph screenshot -> [link]
System load screenshot -> [link]

after setting vsfilter to "Do Not Load" to disable it:
Graph screenshot -> [link]
System load screenshot -> [link]

Edit: Just wanted to add tried the same thing with two completely unrelated 720p Hi10P files and have same issue. Video too slow to be watchable, and audio dropout. System load >80% with VOBSub disabled. Both play fine with it displaying subs, though.

#11 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi,
I had no problem watching the video both in FFDShow and VoBsub.. the subtitles are weird-fonted but are there.

Please try using VMR9 or EVR as renderers and see if the issue prevails.

Booga.

#12 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

I just noticed, but, Smart Play is a file splitter? O.o

No. Smart Play is described here:
http://www.inmatrix....smartplay.shtml

I had no problem watching the video both in FFDShow and VoBsub.. the subtitles are weird-fonted but are there.

No problems here either, madVR+VobSub (and low CPU usage on an original Intel Quad Core CPU). I am using LAV Video for the decoder though.

#13 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Please try using VMR9 or EVR as renderers and see if the issue prevails.

Tried in VMR9 Windowsless first since I'm on XP, these particular subs work in both VOBSub and FFDShow subtitle filter, and playback is also fine with no subtitle renderer loaded. Same when I tried EVR.

But what is causing High CPU usage in Haali when VOBSub is disabled? That makes no sense.

----

Actually, I've figured out now it's connected to Haali's renderer itself. I was able to duplicate the same thing in Media Player Classic Home Cinema by tweaking the settings so it used Haali's Media Splitter, ffdshow, and VOBSub instead of any of its internal components. With VOBSub activated, playback runs at video spec with about 5ms jitter. With VOBsub disabled, playback runs at around 10 fps.

Of course this does nothing for the real issue: This bug. Where I must now choose between the buggy FFDShow subtitle filter or having no subtitle cycling. :(

No problems here either, madVR+VobSub (and low CPU usage on an original Intel Quad Core CPU). I am using LAV Video for the decoder though.

I was playing around with LAV myself late last week before I uninstalled everything to work on this one issue. I was having trouble using it with Zoom Player as I kept getting memory access errors when I tried to right-click to switch audio/subtitle streams (since I couldn't use the subtitle cycling feature).

#14 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

I was playing around with LAV myself late last week before I uninstalled everything to work on this one issue. I was having trouble using it with Zoom Player as I kept getting memory access errors when I tried to right-click to switch audio/subtitle streams (since I couldn't use the subtitle cycling feature).

If that is an access violation error, there is a known problem with Zoom whereby if the streams require different decoders, Zoom will crash when you try and switch them (issue #1 in the bug tracker refers, and there is currently no solution for the problem).

ehat

#15 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

If that is an access violation error, there is a known problem with Zoom whereby if the streams require different decoders, Zoom will crash when you try and switch them (issue #1 in the bug tracker refers, and there is currently no solution for the problem).

Is that if the video stream is using one decoder (LAV Video) and the audio another type (ffdshow in my case), or is that if individual tracks themselves need different decoders? Both audio tracks I was swapping between were 2 ch. AAC and both subs were straight graphical DVD subs (prolly idx/sub files).

I just noticed, but, Smart Play is a file splitter? O.o

No. Smart Play is described here:
http://www.inmatrix....smartplay.shtml

Ah. I got thrown off for a second there when I didn't see the File Splitter listed by name in the Graph Information.

#16 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Is that if the video stream is using one decoder (LAV Video) and the audio another type (ffdshow in my case), or is that if individual tracks themselves need different decoders? Both audio tracks I was swapping between were 2 ch. AAC and both subs were straight graphical DVD subs (prolly idx/sub files).

The latter (the individual tracks themselves needing different decoders) - having one decoder used for video and another for audio is fine :)

Ah. I got thrown off for a second there when I didn't see the File Splitter listed by name in the Graph Information.

It is shown when you expand the graph (either click the + on each entry, or simply right click and 'Expand' to see the whole thing):
http://img546.images...70/snap042e.png

I've put a red rectangle around the file splitter in this case (this is the graph I get when playing your file). You can also sometimes see what is being used in the right click Filter Properties, when you click the Source File Smart Play Graph entry (if that is greyed out, it is using DirectShow, not Smart Play). In my case, clicking that brings up the Haali Media Splitter options dialog, so I know Haali's is being used.

ehat

#17 tschi

tschi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hi,
I have the same issue (ctr+B ) doesn't work (lavfsplitter). My graph http://imageshack.us...0111023094.png/
Thank you for your consideration

#18 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Well, to quote devs on the bug :
"The entire interface is scheduled for a rewrite post-v8.
Not all filters are supported under Ctrl+B (LAV for example)."

#19 nx6

nx6

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

I know this bug has been discussed to death this last month, but I just wanted to mention something.

Blight made that change in the pre-final builds and after that subtitle cycling works again in LAV Splitter, as mentioned in the Doom9 thread. I seem to have restored Subtitle cycling in Haali's splitter as well simply by using LAV Video decoder instead of ffdshow with it. Current setup is:

Posted Image

I can jump between all audio and subtitle tracks with cycling with no issues now.

Somewhat off-topic:
I switched from using madVR to Haali's Renderer because madVR seems to not like working in a group with Haali's Splitter and LAV Video Decoder very much.
It plays okay, but I see very high disk usage by the system when using the three in that specific combination. LAV Splitter->LAV Video Decoder->madVR for rendering does not display this behavior with the same test file. There also does not seem to be a problem with Haali Splitter -> ffdshow Video Decoder -> madVR.

#20 Shadrach

Shadrach

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

@nx6 - Interesting, and might confirm that the problem is not actually in VobSub but in some version of FFDShow it got broken in regards to ZP.

How exactly do you change to using LAV instad of FFDShow? I would like to test it, though I doubt I'd change permanently, I got too attached to FFDshow... :)