19 replies to this topic

#1 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

New to the forum here and long time Zplayer user. Recently I've run into problems with video playback and not being able to rotate the video correctly. This often occurs when playing back video from my cell phone or camcorder. Sometimes you have to set the phone or cam down sideways to get the best angles. I also use splayer as my other video playback softwware and it does have the Display>Flip>Rotation option. I also use Splayer when I watch movies on my 42' Vizio via HDMI cable as I enjoy the left click-full screen off/on toggle. Zoom Player video quality on playback with my cell videos or cam videos is better quality then splayer in my opinion. I read one response here that said you needed a 3rd party software to correct the video playback. I feel it would be a big advantage if Zplayer could add this option in its next build upgrade as well as the left click full screen toggle. Oh yea almost forgot. splayer sure the hell doesn't have slow mow mouse wheel navigation either. Ha Ha. Please consider my suggestion. Thanks.
Posted Image

#2 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

Hi Zplayer1fan,

left click full screen toggle

Zoom already has this. Advanced Options-->Interface-->Mouse, set Media Mode Left Click to Custom and select the fullscreen option by clicking the + sign button underneath and navigating to 'Fullscreen Mode (On/Off)'.

Or, the Double Click option just below the single click option already has fullscreen as a radio button selection if you don't mind double clicking.

doesn't have slow mow mouse wheel navigation either.

If you're talking about the mouse wheel speed specifically, then neither does Zoom - the mouse wheel speed is just fine on my system, not slow at all. If the mouse wheel is slow on your system, that's a problem specific to your system and not Zoom.

If you're talking about mouse navigation generally, then as well as the mouse, with Zoom you can also use the keyboard, remote control, TCP/IP commands etc - you're not just limited to the mouse:
http://www.inmatrix....avigators.shtml
http://www.inmatrix....er/remote.shtml
http://www.inmatrix....ayer/comm.shtml

I feel it would be a big advantage if Zplayer could add this option in its next build upgrade

The Zoom dev's don't add anything to Zoom that you can already do in ffdshow - and ffdshow already has this option. So, just let Zoom use ffdshow - which Zoom installs via the Install Center and which Zoom will use by default unless you have changed it - and you will have the flip option.

Regards,

ehat

#3 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

Zoom already has this. Advanced Options-->Interface-->Mouse, set Media Mode Left Click to Custom and select the fullscreen option by clicking the + sign button underneath and navigating to 'Fullscreen Mode (On/Off)'.

-Found it. Had no idea those options were there.

If you're talking about the mouse wheel speed specifically, then neither does Zoom - the mouse wheel speed is just fine on my system, not slow at all. If the mouse wheel is slow on your system, that's a problem specific to your system and not Zoom.

-What I meant was frame advance forward/backwards not slow motion but essentially your manually doing slow motion.

Posted Image

?

The Zoom dev's don't add anything to Zoom that you can already do in ffdshow - and ffdshow already has this option. So, just let Zoom use ffdshow - which Zoom installs via the Install Center and which Zoom will use by default unless you have changed it - and you will have the flip option.

- 3rd party as I mentioned earlier. It should be built right into the option screen for easy access and not allot of configuration through ffdshow.

Thanks for your feedback.

#4 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:40 AM

-What I meant was frame advance forward/backwards not slow motion but essentially your manually doing slow motion.

If I am understanding correctly, you're referring to a frame advance function? Zoom does have a 'next frame' and 'previous frame' function already, in addition to the slow motion function. The default keys for this are "Shift" and "." for next frame, and "Shift" and "," for previous frame. These can be mapped to the mouse wheel in Advanced Options-->Interface-->Mouse-->Wheel and the 'Mouse Wheel Scroll Functions' option - select Frame (Advance/Rewind).

Regards,

ehat

#5 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi Zplayer1fan,

Regards,

ehat

Yes ehat I did mean the "advance forward and backward" option and not slow motion. Thank You.

I see that ffdshow has "Mirror and Flip" options but not rotate 90 degrees. Doesn't do much good if your video is sideways. Am I missing this option in the ffdshow for Zplayer. Wrong version or something.

I also was under the impression that Avisynth had this option but I see nothing there as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:51 AM

The ffdshow Avisynth option should be able to do it from what I've just read:
http://ffdshow-tryou.../video:avisynth

According to the page (under 'Prerequisites'), you obviously need Avisynth itself installed first, and then according to the wiki page:

ffdshow's AviSynth filter enables you to use most of AviSynth and it's filters in real-time when playing a video

That means if you can then find a rotate filter for Avisynth, such as the one linked below (there are probably multiple filters that do this, this one was just the first google result for 'avisynth rotate filter') you should be able to do what you want:
http://avisynth.org....ate/rotate.html

Zoom itself has no rotate option - it has a mirror and flip option for when you use VMR9 as the renderer, but that is it.

Regards,

ehat

#7 mitko

mitko

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

ehat,
you'll have to agree that using AviSynth for rotating home made video clips shoot with digital camera is not at all convenient.
We need this option directly accessible from Zoom Player and more importantly working with madVR.
Does anybody know how it's done when using VMR9? Does the renderer have to support it? should we talk to madshi?

#8 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:15 PM

Yes, less convenient - I do agree. Would it be fair to say however that a digital camera that produces videos that needs to be rotated before you can view them is broken, and the video playing software should not be responsible for fixing it (genuinely puzzled as to why a digital camera would produce videos that are rotated 90 degrees from normal)? Or am I missing something?

Another non-convenient way would be to permanently fix the problem by rotating the videos up the correct way in a software such as VirtualDub once you get them out of the camera, and before you play them - no need for any rotation by the video playing software then.

I have no idea though why Zoom can interact directly with VMR9. The renderer would have to support it in some way I assume - otherwise the Zoom flip/mirror option would work with every renderer, not just VMR9. Definitely one for madshi or Blight - both should give the same answer either way. If there need to be some code changes Zoom side, I'm happy to put it into the tracker as a request - I expect it will still be pointed out that you can do this via ffdshow (as was #130, the request for a crop function in Zoom), but I can stress the convenience factor in this case.

ehat

#9 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

The ffdshow Avisynth option should be able to do it from what I've just read:
http://ffdshow-tryou.../video:avisynth

According to the page (under 'Prerequisites'), you obviously need Avisynth itself installed first, and then according to the wiki page:

ffdshow's AviSynth filter enables you to use most of AviSynth and it's filters in real-time when playing a video

That means if you can then find a rotate filter for Avisynth, such as the one linked below (there are probably multiple filters that do this, this one was just the first google result for 'avisynth rotate filter') you should be able to do what you want:
http://avisynth.org....ate/rotate.html

Zoom itself has no rotate option - it has a mirror and flip option for when you use VMR9 as the renderer, but that is it.

Regards,

ehat

Thanks master. I would have to agree with guru having it built in would be more convenient, If splayer can do it so can zoom player.

#10 mitko

mitko

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

ehat,
the problem with videos that need rotation is not in the digital still camera (with good video capabilities) that was used but in the person that recorded them. My girlfriend and I've seen many others don't think before doing it ... or they are just used to the way they shoot still photos ... and if the scene is taller than wider they simply rotate the camera and start recording. This results in a tough to process video especially because it's 1080i (interlaced).
In the way I imagine things it'll be perfect if I could use the decoders that I usually use for interlaced content (LAV CUVID Decoder) and after it's done its magic of decoding and great deinterlacing I rotate the now progressive frame and scale it to fit the height of my screen. I guess this should be done in the renderer but the player should be the one to instruct it to do so. Currently MPC-HC supports rotation in all axises but it only works with VMR9/EVR (if I remember correctly). This makes me think that Zoom Player should be able to do it so. I'd prefer to have it working with madVR but I guess we'll have to ask madshi to implement it first.

#11 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:27 AM

Hi guys,

Ok, I've popped this one into the tracker (#151), stating that yes - we know ffdshow+Avisynth can do it, but pointing out the convenience argument for having it in Zoom itself. We'll just wait and see what the Zoom dev's say. I'd definitely ask madshi about madVR support as well mitko. Thanks for the clarification about the camera as well (I was thinking that some cameras must have deliberately rotated the video as you recorded it and was wondering exactly what sort of broken camera would do that!). :)

Regards.

ehat

#12 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hi guys,

Ok, I've popped this one into the tracker (#151), stating that yes - we know ffdshow+Avisynth can do it, but pointing out the convenience argument for having it in Zoom itself. We'll just wait and see what the Zoom dev's say. I'd definitely ask madshi about madVR support as well mitko. Thanks for the clarification about the camera as well (I was thinking that some cameras must have deliberately rotated the video as you recorded it and was wondering exactly what sort of broken camera would do that!). :)

Regards.

ehat

Thank You !

#13 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

I hate to rub it in but ran across another video player with video rotation and mirror built in. This one is an open source project called SMPlayer. Come on Zoom Player !

Posted Image

#14 boogafreak

boogafreak

BoogAdmin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:07 PM

Dev's response on this offer :
"It can either be done on the renderer side or through a filter. ZP itself doesn't have access to the video stream directly.

Doing it through a filter would mean that there would be CPU overhead for every media played, so ZP doesn't do that."

#15 Zplayer1fan

Zplayer1fan

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:44 AM

Dev's response on this offer :
"It can either be done on the renderer side or through a filter. ZP itself doesn't have access to the video stream directly.

Doing it through a filter would mean that there would be CPU overhead for every media played, so ZP doesn't do that."

Yes I also saw this reply. Thank You boogafreak for the feedback. I sure am not trying to be a pain in the side. I'm just a big fan of Zplayer and will continue to do so. I don't understand all the technical details regarding why this can't or won't be done for Zplayer and I do respect that decision, however I'm still going to challenge the developers to integrate this feature. When you see free open source software being developed that can do this then why can't ZP. Its just a matter of time and we'll see it.

#16 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

Older thread I know, but it is one of the two threads we have on video rotation, so it is still relevant. As such, I'm just linking to a post I have made in the other (and more recent) thread on video rotation - it contains some new information on the problem. The tl;dr version is that none of the current standard video renderers support rotation. As the only renderer being actively developed is madVR, we need madshi to add such support in madVR before support could be added in Zoom.

http://forum.inmatri...4171#entry55110

ehat

#17 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

Because we have different people subscribed to the two different rotation feature threads, I will keep both up to date:

http://forum.inmatri...4171#entry55231

ehat

#18 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:30 AM

Bit of an update to this:

http://forum.inmatri...4171#entry59434

I think we are finally getting towards the end of this one :)

ehat

#19 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:33 AM

And with the release of the next stable version of madVR, I think we will have reached our journey's end with this one:

http://forum.inmatri...4171#entry59456

:)

ehat

#20 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:31 AM

And to close the loop on this one, the new madVR has been released, with the relevant rotation features:

http://forum.inmatri...4171#entry59469

ehat