#1 TheShadowRunner

TheShadowRunner

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:02 PM

Hey All,
Although i doubt it's an issue with ZoomPlayer (because the same happens when I use graphedit), but aren't the VMR7 and VMR9 default brightness value just WAY TOO HIGH?

Here's the problem.
I got two laptops, one with geforce fx go5600, directx9c
the other with ATI mobility radeon 9000 IGP, dx9c as well.
The video drivers for both cards are the latest from each brands.

And I notice that on both laptops, using VMR7 ( or VMR9 with default procamp ) the image is WAY too bright. Of course I can use ZP to change the color settings with VMR9 but I am the only one to experience this?

Interestingly, when I played with ffdshow a little and change the video output from YV12 to RGB32, then the brightness level decreased a lot on both laptops.
Could it be a problem with directx? ffdshow?
If you experience the same please let me know!
Later,

TSR

#2 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 09:55 PM

This is just one of those things that will drive you crazy.

If you output YV12 colorspace, the luma-range will be 16-235 (which means black will be dark grey and white will be bright grey).

If you use the YUY2 colorspace or RGB32, the luma-range will be 0-255, which means black is black and white is white.

But now, since the data is actually stored at 16-235, people say that is the correct range and that the display device should be adjusted.

I personally believe since we're viewing on a PC monitor, that the range should be automatically converted to 0-255... Or at least there should be some sort of range-selection checkbox SOMEWHERE.

There is a HUGE thread about it over at AVSForum.com

#3 TheShadowRunner

TheShadowRunner

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 10:29 PM

Blight, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I've been wondering about this for a long time!
What made me wonder even more is that on my old Geforce2 GO the brightness is the same either if I chose YU12 or RGB32!
It probably doesn't support DX9 at all hence why there is no difference (if it has anything to do with it :blink: )
I thought it was a malfunction of the video cards on my new laptops. :o
Thanks for clearing that up.
So I guess people using VMR9 always use the color controls in ZP...
Because the output on my TV, my external monitor and internal LCD screen are too bright. All of them.
Hmm yeah, there should be a switch or checkbox somewhere, definitely.
Maybe ffdshow could do it or is it done at the renderer level?
Later,

TSR

#4 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

if you set ffdshow to output YUY2, you won't suffer this brightness.

#5 Guest_vega22_*

Guest_vega22_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:15 PM

I belong to many great forums on HTPC and i believe that the true people who know to speak of HTPV is here.
In effect, the problem of colorspace returns to me crazy. I Hat the gray whites and the gray blacks, and for that reason use more often the classic overlay that vmr9 of my Ati or my Nvidia. IMO, overlay disguises more the lost one of contrast that the too high brightness of the VMR9. Thanks to ZP (blessed it is) the color of vmr9 can adjust! Nevertheless, I use much the DVB programs, capturing with my Pinnacle PCTVsat, and in them that possibility does not exist!
My questions are the following ones:
1) Why the Vmr9 de Ati is more shining still than the one of Nvidia? In Divx with zp as soon as note, in mpg2 note more, and in ProgDVB or DVBdream whit mpg2 the difference is enormous. It can be by the different use from colorspace that they call to do the differents programs? How to constructing a chain of filters directshow so that in all the programs the render one is the same one for two cards? Or: How to fit the controls of vmr9 with drivers without altering the levels of the desktop, being able independently to fit it like normal overlay?
2) Another problem that returns to me crazy is the appearance of a very thin shining line horizontal near top or near bottom of the fullscreen of the windows of overlay, in Ati. In certain samples of mpg2 luminous or divx luminous note much. It disappears in vmr9 with Ati and it disappears with Nvidia in any type of render.
Nevertheless, overlay of Ati is to me more sharpen that the one of Nvidia (fx5900 versus 9800pro in a crt monitor). It is a problem of internal treatment of colorspace, or of a problem of internal scaler of the Ati with render to they fullscreen?
Thanks for this wonderful forum and thanks for the wonderful ZP!