98 replies to this topic

#1 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 04:15 PM

Codec packs are evil, they can take over your system, install multiple version of decoders which can conflict and even install bad filters which can cause your image to vertically flip, your audio to crackle or even stop working and other nasty side-effects.

The latest version of Zoom Player can detect missing components on your system (Options / Formats) and will link you to information page about each missing component.

You can also go directly to the index by clicking here.

Do yourself a favor and only install the components you need.

#2 Guest_flanders77_*

Guest_flanders77_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2004 - 10:24 AM

Hi!
I just noticed that i have a problem getting zoomplayer work. I had ACE media codec pack installed and this really sucks as you mentioned.

I always get an error saying: access violation at address 024acc96 in modul vsfilter.dll. read of address 00000000.

i have vsfilter installed but nothing happened.
system: p3, w2k

can you halp me with this problem?

David

#3 Guest_wastegate_*

Guest_wastegate_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2004 - 11:44 PM

Flanders, uninstall the codec pack. Start Zoomplayer and make it check for the requirements then install those though the link on the Inmatrix site.

#4 Azmoth

Azmoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 11:25 AM

Yes, I would agree there that most of those codec packs are pure garbage, but one pack however is not, Kazaa lite full 2.27 latest build is excellent. You can install only what you wish. I have NEVER had any problems with this pack as it is so superbly compiled.

#5 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

I wouldn't install any pack. That's why the ZP formats page is there, so you only install EXACTLY what is needed, not one iota more.

#6 Guest_bdaniel7_*

Guest_bdaniel7_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2004 - 07:36 AM

Hi, check this too: http://www.free-codecs.com/

i use 'codec pack all in one' the right menu, codeck packs category, and it's beautiful, no errors, all clean, works like a charm with zOOm...

btw, zOOm is awesome, best player ever..."pour les connaisseurs" though;
it took me some time to configure at the beginning, but i've exported the settings and now all is cool :)

truly yours,

Daniel

#7 Guest_rrendsvig_*

Guest_rrendsvig_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:30 PM

As a complete newbie here, that last post really confused my otherwise clear picture of what not to do with codec-packs (not install them :bow:).

#8 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:26 PM

As the admin of this forum, I would not recommend that you install any codec pack, hence the topic of this thread.

#9 acushla

acushla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:14 PM

[FONT=Optima][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple] It's all well and good to suggest that we only install those codecs that we need, but how exactly are we supposed to determine that?

I confess, I am very new at this, but I get curious when I am told that I should download ANOTHER player (REAL) to ensure that Zoom Player will work properly.

#10 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:46 PM

acushla:
There is the media setup guide which explains what each format is and what is needed to play it.

#11 Alya

Alya

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 06:29 PM

Blight
Thank you for this interesting suggestion.

I'm on K-light codec pack (during installation you choose which codecs to install). Some stuff on my system is not working (such as there is no sound in QuickTime .qt movies).

My biggest problem with installing each codec individually is that many of them want to create their own little directory under "Program Files" just to keep their one or two files in it. The result is dozens of unnecessary directories and total clutter and mess.

Some of those codecs indeed cleanly install few needed files straight into windows\system32 directory - but those are a minority.

Isn't a "codec pack" simply a group of codecs? If only a specific group of codecs needed for Zoom player - isn't it possible to choose corresponding codecs from K-lite pack and install only them?

Also, most of those codecs are free. Why cannot Zoom player just pack them together into a "Zoom player recommended codec pack" and make it freely available?

#12 generalleoff

generalleoff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

I solved the problem (both all the codec installs and the creating there own folders) by creating my own custom codec pack using NISIS.

It covers all of the codecs on the media setup guide as well as a few not (yet) but I will not share the pack for a few isses. Mostly cuz I did not keep all the readme files that give the authors credit and cuz I have it designed around my systems needs.

#13 Alya

Alya

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:10 AM

generalleoff
Frankly, I don't even need an "installer" for codecs.
The codecs just need to be put into system32 directory and registered. Unfortunately most codecs only come within an installer, and there isn't an option to get them without it.

Blight
Another issue is the updates. For example, K-lite updates every few months because of modifications/bug fixes/etc. So if I installed all the recommended Zoom player codecs individually as explained in Media Setup Guide - how would I update them? I mean, am I supposed to repeat the whole process of downloading and installing each codec individually every few months to ensure that I have the latest codecs?

#14 Ryokurin

Ryokurin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:09 AM

You'll be much safer by doing it that way. For items like Xvid and Divx you may have to do it like twice a year and even then only if you decide to use it or run into something that requires it. Heck if it really bothers you then just use FFDshow instead as it knocks out a very large amount of the list nowadays on both the video and audio side.

#15 bLight

bLight

Lead Developer

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9499 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

Alya:
While some of these codecs are "free", their legality is a bit of a grey issue. So shipping them with a commercial product (Zoom Player) is not recommended.

I may include several components in future versions, but right now I'm trying to minimize the "Installing the program made my computer crash in unexpected ways" issues you see with a lot of these "packs".

And unlike you, a person who seems to have some experience with codecs, people with no experience install them and pretty much select to install everything, which isn't very good.

#16 Alya

Alya

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

Blight

Thanks. So if I choose carefully and only install those codecs from K-lite codec pack which are recommended by Zoom player - will there be any disadvantages compared to installing them all individually?

#17 generalleoff

generalleoff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:32 PM

No. The only disadvantage you would proly have is the chance the codecs in the pack are out of date. Proly wont be a problem at all in k-lite though.

#18 Alya

Alya

Greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

generalleoff - thanks
K-lite is very frequently updated.
So I think I'll just continue selective installations from K-lite for now...

Ryokurin
Thanks, I use FFDShow
But Zoom Player still asking for tons of other codecs even with FFDShow installed

#19 filewalker

filewalker

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

But Zoom Player still asking for tons of other codecs even with FFDShow installed

If you want less problems with ZP, then consider Blight's intention not to use CodecPacks unless you know what youre really doing.

If I read your question and answer, I get the feeling that you aren't really familiar with codecs.

You really just need some minutes to install the codecs seperattly from the given download links...and then ZP'll work as it's designed to do.

ffdshow is powerful but you must have the right setup in the settings. :unsure:

Cu

#20 nutter

nutter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:35 AM

Just wondering but, what's everyone's opinion on DefilerPak? It's basically a minimalist codec pack that contains only open-source filters, as far as I know. I'm a relative newbie when it comes to media playback and the like, but it's worked fine for me for the past couple months. Do you still recommend installing codecs separately?