Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

madVR v0.87.20 released

* added x64 build
* fixed: short playback freeze, then catch up, at runtime start

Hmmm... Maybe I should stop saying "no further release planned in the next 2-3 weeks". I mean I meant it. And I mean it again this time. But you know...

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=28817

#382 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

And the not unexpected .21:

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=28889

#383 bkm

bkm

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

Is there ZP 64bit to make use of new 64bit mVR?

#384 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

Not at the moment, no - 32bit only.

ehat

#385 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

madVR v0.88.0 released

* added Direct3D 11 presentation path
* added support for native 10bit output
* added NEDI image doubling option
* added "image enhancements" settings page for source enhancements
* added "upscaling refinement" settings page for upscaling post processing
* added FineSharp to source enhancement and upscaling refinement
* added LumaSharpen to source enhancement and upscaling refinement
* added SuperRes to upscaling refinement
* added chroma upscaling option "activate SuperRes filter"
* added Shiandow's deband algorithm
* removed chroma image doubling options
* fixed some 64bit stability issues
* fixed crash when two madVR instances had the same parent (DVBViewer BiB)
* fixed one potential DXVA decoding freeze
* trade quality option "lose BTB and WTW..." is disabled by default now
* added SettingsSetBoolean("FinalizeOnWMClose") option
* (un)install.bat now complains if you don't run them as admin
* (un)install.bat now doesn't try to install madVR64 on a 32bit OS, anymore

Many many new features and options for you guys to play with - enjoy! smile.gif

Some random comments:

1) The Direct3D11 presentation path seems to work very well for me, maybe even better than the D3D9 presentation path. Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you. I've noticed that on my PC the D3D11 path seems to react a bit faster when switching between windowed <-> exclusive mode. Also it has two advantages: First of all, it allows native 10bit output (see below). Secondly, in FSE mode D3D11 allows me to skip some VSyncs without having to present a frame, while still being able to present frames in advance. Which means that GPU performance in D3D11 FSE mode should be slightly better compared to D3D9, if you have a display refresh rate which is higher than the source frame rate.

2) Now native 10bit output is supported. Interestingly, my JVC projector looks bad with 10bit output, it looks much better with 8bit output. My LCD monitors look fine with 10bit output, though. So this may vary from display to display. AFAIK, most displays today do *not* have a native 10bit panel yet. So in many cases it is possible that you'll get a better image quality outputting dithered 8bit from madVR. But let your eyes be the judge.

3) I've decided to offer sharpening in two different places: In the "processing\image enhancements" page. This page applies sharpening to the source video, when it is still in its original resolution. And in the "scaling algorithms\upscaling refinement" page. The algorithms on this page can be run during/after upscaling. The general idea is that there are 2 different causes of blurred video: Either the original source is already soft/blurred. In that case it makes sense to sharpen the original sources. This will vary from source to source, though. The other cause of soft/blurred video is if you upscale. The larger the upscaling factor, the blurrier the result. So my thinking is that it makes sense to apply a certain amount of sharpening as part of the upscaling process to make sure that upscaling doesn't make the image blurrier than it originally was.

4) All the algorithms in the "upscaling refinement" page can be applied either just once, after upscaling is done. Or alternatively you can tell madVR to upscale the video in multiple steps, each one with a 2.0x scaling factor, and to apply upscaling refinement after each step. This makes sense because all the refinement algorithms work better that way. They are less effective if you run them after e.g. a 4.0x upscaling.

5) Please note that currently there are tons and TONS of options. This definitely is overkill and needs to be cleaned. This is a task we have to work on together. For each algorithm I'd like to define max 3 options (e.g. low, mid, high) and that must be sufficient. Otherwise the sheer amount of options will shy new users away.

-------

Now I need FEEDBACK from you guys. But since there are so many new features/options, it doesn't make sense to just collect feedback from everyone about everything. That just wouldn't work well. So please allow me to coordinate testing and feedback:

I would like to start with evaluating the new "DEBAND" algorithm written by Shiandow. Please could you guys try it with your various sources and let me know how it compares to madVR's other debanding algorithms in terms of quality and performance? Based on your feedback I will either remove the new algorithm again, or I will replace one or multiple of the old options with the new one. I want to end up with only one Deband option with max 3 different settings. Your feedback is very welcome - thanks!

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=29382

#386 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

madVR v0.88.1 released

* fixed media player shutdown crash/freeze

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=29410

#387 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

And for anyone who is wanting some more information on what all those options in madVR actually do, keep an eye out for an 0.88 update to Asmodian's great "madVR Options Explained" guide:

http://forum.doom9.o...ad.php?t=171787

It currently covers up to madVR 0.87.21 - but it will take Asmodian some time to add the options added in 0.88.

ehat

#388 Jonny RedHed

Jonny RedHed

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

Something odd happened to zoom player after I upadated to madVR v0.88.1.   ZP v10, and 10.1b.  When full screen you have the ZP control bar and buttons.  The two on the far right. The small furthest on is close ZP, and the larger X button to exit/enter fullscreen.   Well now both buttons just exit to the full screen navigator/media library window.  I don't use any of the full screen navigator windows.  

The button in settings clearly says enter/exit full screen, but it and the close ZP button dont seem to work as expected anymore.  If I go back a version of MadVR to what I had two days ago (87.21), the issue goes away.  So its 88.1 causing some odd behavoir some some reason.  I have to double click now to exit full screen, which is ok but I usually like to move the mouse to botom screen and call the control bar and click the large X button.

#389 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

The small furthest on is close ZP, and the larger X button to exit/enter fullscreen.

On my setup (Onyx, with no changes to the Control Bar), the small one (the one furthest on the right) is to close the Control Bar, not Zoom itself. Have you enabled the 'Exit Player' button in Advanced Options-->Interface-->Control Bar-->Buttons?

Aside from that, just quickly tried to reproduce this - if something has broken, I can log it into madshi's bug tracker. Both buttons ('Fullscreen Mode On/Off' and 'Hide Control Bar') both work as expected on my system. Can you post a screenshot of your madVR settings please? Specifically, the Rendering->General Rendering section. I have changed a few of the defaults in there (eg disabled FSE mode) and I expect that may be why I can't immediately reproduce the problem. Also, what do you have set (enabled or disabled) for these two Zoom options?

http://i.imgur.com/zm8Jk59.png

ehat

Edit #1: Nevermind, managed to reproduce it. madVR settings are irrelevant - FSE can be enabled or disabled, as can the new DirectX 11 presentation mode. The key setting is in Zoom: "Display OSD through MadVR's OSD API (preserves fullscreen exclusive mode)" must be enabled. If it isn't, there is no problem (but if you have FSE enabled in madVR, you need this setting enabled in Zoom otherwise the Zoom GUI will kick madVR out of FSE mode when it displays). madshi may have changed something (or the madVR API may now have a bug) - I will ask bLight about it first, then madshi afterwards if necessary.

Edit #2: bLight asked me to report it to madshi. Bug report here:

http://bugs.madshi.net/view.php?id=289

Edit #3: Bug will be fixed in next madVR build :)

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 10 May 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#390 Jonny RedHed

Jonny RedHed

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

I have'nt enabled the new madvr features yet in 0.88.1 and was just waiting to see how things pan out.  I don't understand them yet either.

I had "Display OSD through MadVR's OSD API (preserves fullscreen exclusive mode)" enabled,  and now unchecked it to make it work ok when I click exit full screen.  Sorry, I forgot the far right control button closes the control bar and not exit ZP.  It had been a while since I used it and forgot.

I have been having other issues for a while now and will post in the support thread.

Thanks for managing to reproduce the issue above and reporting it.

#391 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

madVR v0.88.2 released

* added D3D11 option "present a frame for every VSync"
* added option to choose medium/high SuperRes error upscaling quality
* pages "image enhancements" and "upscaling refinement" are now profileable
* fixed: dark video in windowed mode when using error dif with 10 bit display
* fixed: FineSharp modes 2 and 3 corrupted image quality
* fixed: some controls (FSE seekbar, and ZoomPlayer controls) didn't work
* fixed: corrupted render times and more when using a lot of rendering steps
* madVR no longer disables desktop composition when D3D11 is activated
* if DWM is disabled, when madVR starts, D3D9 is used instead of D3D11
* if DWM is disabled while madVR renders with D3D11, madVR pauses playback

For those of you with presentation glitches in D3D11 FSE mode, I've added the option "present a frame for every VSync", which makes D3D11 more similar to the "new" D3D9 FSE presentation path. This new options is also enabled by default, just to be safe. Those of you who did *not* have presentation glitches, please uncheck this new option, which should give you slightly more efficient presentation (slightly lower GPU usage), when movie frame rate and display refresh rate don't match.

D3D11 windowed mode seemingly only works with Aero/DWM enabled. So I've made a few adjustments for that. Sorry guys, if you want to use D3D11, it seems you have to enable Aero/DWM. Which is not a problem for Windows 8.1/10, because there it's always enabled, anyway.

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=29530

#392 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for managing to reproduce the issue above and reporting it.

Thanks to madshi for fixing it in 0.88.2! :) However, the new version appears to have introduced a new bug - Zoom now crashes when you toggle the "Display OSD through MadVR's OSD API" option (at least on my system it does). All I have to do to reproduce here is to open Zoom with the API option disabled, start a video playing, and then go into the options and enable the API option. I acknowledge the pop-up about reloading the currently playing media file, I click Ok to exit back to Zoom and then I hit Shift+J to reload the media file. Instant Zoom crash when I do. I have re-opened bug #289 on madshi's tracker reporting the issue, we will see if he can reproduce it.

ehat

#393 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

For me Zoom crashes with 0.88.2 every time I stop a video file. (that osd api option is activated on my system)

#394 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Yes, when I try that here, I get an instant Zoom hang with 100% CPU use - the only way I can close it is via Task Manager (I don't actually get a crash dialog as I do with the Shift+J thing). Not sure if it is the same issue as the one I originally found - could very well be. I better report it too.

ehat

Edit #1: Reported. Also, madshi reports that my Shift+J issue will be fixed in the next madVR build.

Edit #2. madshi confirms the 'stop' bug has the same cause as the Shift+J bug I reported, so will be fixed in the next build.

Edited by ehathgepiurhe, 11 May 2015 - 10:09 AM.

#395 bkm

bkm

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Same here with the stop button with mVR 88.2, thanks for reporting this to madshi so promptly :-)

#396 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

madVR v0.88.3 released

* fixed another media player shutdown crash/freeze
* LGPL issue fixed: changing "legal stuff\nnedi3ocl.cl" takes effect now
* LGPL issue fixed: changing "legal stuff\Shiandow\*" takes effect now

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=29666

#397 Prinz

Prinz

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:46 PM

madVR v0.88.4 released

* fixed startup crash in Windows 7, introduced in v0.88.3
* NNEDI3 doubling: chroma is now always upscaled with max 2 taps

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=29693

#398 ehathgepiurhe

ehathgepiurhe

Lead QA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6710 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

And 0.88.5:

http://forum.doom9.o...postcount=29742

madshi posted another test build immediately after that post, so expect a .6 in the near future.

ehat

PS: Asmodian's madVR options guide has been updated with the changes up to 0.88.5 also.

#399 Jonny RedHed

Jonny RedHed

Adept

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

I found Asmodian's guide for the new features and how to set them (.88>) a bit thin.   I'm not sure the difference with the image refinement (fine sharp and luma sharp) options and the lower down up scaling ones (fine sharp, luma sharp and super res).  Or how good the default settings are, or explaining the options in each fine and luma sharp.  For now I just turned on Diredt3D 11, and both the top image refinement options using just default settings.

#400 madshi

madshi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

The "image enhancements" options are applied to the source before scaling. Those options should probably only be enabled for soft/blurred sources. For good sources I would turn these options off, or at least lower them to rather low values.

The "upscaling refinement" options are meant to help removing the softness caused by upscaling. These algos are applied after upscaling, or in the middle *and* after upscaling, when upscaling by a very large amount. Every upscaling operation makes the image softer. So you can use "upscaling refinement" options to bring the sharpness back to the same level the original unscaled source had.

All of these options are brand new and not well tested yet. So the defaults are also not well defined yet. All of these options will be streamlined in future builds, based on feedback of all the madVR users. Instead of those hundred of options and dials and knobs the "final" madVR version will only have a "low, mid, high" setting for each algorithm, and some algos may be removed completely. For now just play with the options until you find something that looks good to your eyes.